aberdeen-music

Slightly weird?

Rach_69

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to infer that communicating in Doric is lazy is a rather silly thing to suggest though' date=' does that make the people who speak Gaelic lazy? Or those who speak Welsh?[/quote']

aH you misunderstood that post, I was mainly talking about horrible aberdonian accents and Doric does not sound Doric anymore ( ok that makes no sense, but in my head it does)

to infer that communicating in Doric is lazy is a rather silly thing to suggest though' date=' does that make the people who speak Gaelic lazy? Or those who speak Welsh?[/quote']

but hey what is the point of welsh and gaelic anyway - gaelic just gets in the way of proper cartoons i can understand(joking)

Guest tv tanned
as you misunderstood in that post I was mainly talking about common accents and Doric don't sound Doric anymore ( ok that makes no sense' date=' but in my head it does)[/quote']

ok, but a common accent is not Doric, many in the rural areas speak Doric, and there is nothing wrong in that at all.

Spikkin common is nae the same as spikkin doric quine.

ok' date=' but a common accent is not Doric, many in the rural areas speak Doric, and there is nothing wrong in that at all.

Spikkin common is nae the same as spikkin doric quine.[/quote']

I ok foos yer doos loonie its gie chilly mine and tak that sharne aff yer shoes

ok i am in a way I am mistaking the doric for the common but to me they both just dont sound nice I dislike the sound where as I like how french sounds

You always seem to take things the wrong way. Where did I say I hate Doric/Aberdonian culture?

I take things the wrong way? where did I say you said you hate Doric/Aberdonian culture? Fucking nowhere...

I don't go on holiday full stop' date=' I love the Pistols' line of "a cheap holiday in other people's misery"[/quote']

So how do you know there's a big world out there? You need to experience other cultures to appreciate your own

Have you read my subsequent posts about this?

Yes, there was only one, what is your point?

what's the point in being proud because you happened to be born somewhere? It seems such a petty thing to be proud of.

Well I am proud of my Family history, I believe that we are an important part of a great nation and that in a small way me, and my family before me and in the future, will continue to make it somewhere to be proud of. What's wrong with that?

A circumstance of geography

So what, your mother just happened to find herself in Aberdeen by pure coincedence and gave birth to you....or are you some kind of spore blown in the wind?

I was born in Aberdeen, my father was born in Aberdeen, his Father was born in Aberdeen....you getting a patern here? something has kept several generations of my family here...and its not geography

If you need something to be "proud" of, well, I wonder at the mentality behind such motives.

Im proud of who I am, what I am and where I am, I am proud of my children and their mother, I am proud of what I have achieved, and Im not to proud to admit it.

What are you proud of?

well i think we need to take a more educated stance on this. Its basically down to poverty and lack of eduacation . i find it so thouroghly deppressing when mums are screaming abuse at their little kids.... cause Im a mum too. But can you really blame them if they grew up ina verbally/physically violent household. it gets passed on from one generation tot he next. We also have to remember that abuse goes on in non-chav households too.

there are always gonna be chavs --its called living in a diverse society

transmute...

fair point but....my work takes me all over the world...i've seen countries where the poverty is far far worse....and education again is inferior to what is offered in the uk...yet still the kids manage to understand simple things like respect for other people/ property/ etc... i think the difference is here that there are too many insentives for a living a life devoid of responsibility or ambition...as for verbally/physically violent households...surely not all the neds stem from such an environment...

transmute...

fair point but....my work takes me all over the world...i've seen countries where the poverty is far far worse....and education again is inferior to what is offered in the uk...yet still the kids manage to understand simple things like respect for other people/ property/ etc... i think the difference is here that there are too many insentives for a living a life devoid of responsibility or ambition...as for verbally/physically violent households...surely not all the neds stem from such an environment...

No I don't think they ALL stem from these backgrounds but theres a thing called fashion and influence from other people

This thread is getting stupid. Whether people like it or not doric is a part of the culture and heritage of the north east of Scotland. I can see where the hatred of the aberdeen 'tinky'accents come from, but Doric is a regional dialect which has been basterdised. To be fair elements of doric seem to creep into most aberdonians speech, but the only people that seem to speak 'pure' doric now, in my opinion, seem to be a lot of the old people in aberdeen.

I am aware that my everyday speech has traces of doric, but I would like to think that it does not make me sound like the 'Kappa Ma's' and assorted lowlifes that feel compelled to share their 'social lifes' (loudly, from the back of the bus), everyday when I'm on the bus.

I am aware that my everyday speech has traces of doric' date=' but I would like to think that it does not make me sound like the 'Kappa Ma's' and assorted lowlifes that feel compelled to share their 'social lifes' (loudly, from the back of the bus), everyday when I'm on the bus.[/quote']

ooo getting you on the loudness from the back of the bus - wonder if they think it makes them sound cool

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I take things the wrong way? where did I say you said you hate Doric/Aberdonian culture? Fucking nowhere...

So how do you know there's a big world out there? You need to experience other cultures to appreciate your own

Yes' date=' there was only one, what is your point?

Well I am proud of my Family history, I believe that we are an important part of a great nation and that in a small way me, and my family before me and in the future, will continue to make it somewhere to be proud of. What's wrong with that?

So what, your mother just happened to find herself in Aberdeen by pure coincedence and gave birth to you....or are you some kind of spore blown in the wind?

I was born in Aberdeen, my father was born in Aberdeen, his Father was born in Aberdeen....you getting a patern here? something has kept several generations of my family here...and its not geography

Im proud of who I am, what I am and where I am, I am proud of my children and their mother, I am proud of what I have achieved, [b']and Im not to proud to admit it.

What are you proud of?

Apologies for ranting a bit, it felt like you were trying to put words in my mouth and I don't like that one bit. Anyway, I get what you're saying but pride, to me, just seems fucking silly. You can have all the local pride you want, Aberdeen is just one small corner of one small country.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I am aware that my everyday speech has traces of doric' date=' but I would like to think that it does not make me sound like the 'Kappa Ma's' and assorted lowlifes that feel compelled to share their 'social lifes' (loudly, from the back of the bus), everyday when I'm on the bus.[/quote']

The 17's terrible for that, isn't it? I can listen in to a "chav drama" every day of the week. It's usually about a court case, a jail sentence or a "hiding". Tell someone who gives a fuck.

The 17's terrible for that' date=' isn't it? I can listen in to a "chav drama" every day of the week. It's usually about a court case, a jail sentence or a "hiding". Tell someone who gives a fuck.[/quote']

Aye, the 17 is the worst. I think this is because the 17 goes right past woodside, sandilands, logie, and then bucksburn. All chav hotspots.

Apologies for ranting a bit' date=' it felt like you were trying to put words in my mouth and I don't like that one bit. Anyway, I get what you're saying but pride, to me, just seems fucking silly. You can have all the local pride you want, Aberdeen is just one small corner of one small country.[/quote']

I wouldnt put anything in your mouth...not without asking first...

I bet you take pride without even knowing it....what do you do with fast food wrapping (or litter of any kind) when your done with it?

If someone were to ask you in a London pub "where you from?" I bet you dont say "oh just a little shithole in the N/E of scotland" or do you?

I maybe felt the same way as you a few hundred years ago, but as i've got older and visited more and more places (and i've been around trust me) you get to realise that good old Aberdeen isnt so bad. There isnt a place that I have stayed in the UK that I would rather live...the only place that has come close is Newcastle.

Outwith the UK....Barbados here I come.....I need to win the lottery first though.. :D

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I wouldnt put anything in your mouth...not without asking first...

I bet you take pride without even knowing it....what do you do with fast food wrapping (or litter of any kind) when your done with it?

If someone were to ask you in a London pub "where you from?" I bet you dont say "oh just a little shithole in the N/E of scotland" or do you?

I maybe felt the same way as you a few hundred years ago' date=' but as i've got older and visited more and more places (and i've been around trust me) you get to realise that good old Aberdeen isnt so bad. There isnt a place that I have stayed in the UK that I would rather live...the only place that has come close is Newcastle.

Outwith the UK....Barbados here I come.....I need to win the lottery first though.. :D[/quote']

I DO get where you're coming from here. I do like to be in a tidy environment, but I don't really think of it as "pride" or anything. When I think of "proud" I can't help but think of chest-puffing and stuff like that. Oi, you're at it again! I never said Aberdeen was a shithole, I don't think it is that at all. But, I don't wax lyrical about it either, I'm pretty matter-of-fact about it. I don't see myself living elsewhere either, well, maybe Rosyth, I love it there. My friends are up here, and I now have a baby daughter to think of so I guess you're stuck with me! You just make the best of it wherever you are and yes, this place is home to me. Right, you love it here, right? I'm not being funny here, but what is it about the NE that does it for you? Is this anything specific, or is it just "a sense of place", if you will. I'm genuinely interested, it's good to see different points of view.

P.S. Rowies are lovely, aren't they?

Aberdeen is ok, its a very polar city (not cold, well it is!). There is less of a broad spectrum of classes, there are a lot of rich and a lot of poor but not as much middle class. Aberdeen Im sure is amazing if your from Bieldside.

I personally have lived in Aberdeen for about 6 years and I dont think its all the great, thats why Im moving! Ok, Newmacher/Udny etc is hardly far from the city but it just doesnt do much for me. Quiet life for me :cheers: