aberdeen-music

People who like Punk/Emo/Rock/Indie-Rock etc.

RicoAUBL

The main reason for soundcheck is to make sure all the lines are working ok' date=' and get a rough balance of sound on a PA rig you have just set-up in a room the engineer doesnt usually know.

I have been all round Europe doing this with many different bands, and yes a soundcheck is a must do thing. Not only to Eq the Rig for the room, see what it will sound like when the band plays and set-up the monitors.

In the Moorings the PA Has been set-up, I know what it will sound like and the Monitors are roughly right for most bands and very easy to alter if needed.

The PA WILL reproduce the sound set on the amp, and a well rehearsed band will know the sound they want. So all that is left to do is get the levels correct on stage and the FOH will do the rest.

There is really no reason to do a full soundcheck in a venue with an Installed PA and Digital desk. The settings are usually very close from one band to another.

Please come and talk to Me or Flash (we dont bite) if you want to talk about it more.[/quote']

fair enough thanks for explaining it to me, and yes i think i will come up and learn more off you guys, thanks for the offer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so have i been mislead for the last 5-10 years' date=' when i was told you should always sound check before a gig, cause here i am being told they are pointless. Why sound check you should always know your sound and should know exactly how to set up for each venue before you come in, and for the 4 places youve never stepped foor in yet. This isnt a go at flash (or rico cause hes loverly he is) but rather just to point out how stupid that theory really is.[/quote']

Not at all it really does depend on the circumstances. I've posted an equally contentious thread here LOL:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21462

In it I've attempted to anaylse the whole purpose of soundchecks, and in many circumstances they ARE worthwhile.

We do this open mic thing on a Sunday night. Obviously there's no time for soundchecks and it's a constant procession of different musicians and vocalists on and off the stage all night. They kart in keyboards, horns, pedals, bongos, timbalis', squeeze boxes, harmonicas... you name it!

I've got to handle on this on the fly. Quite often people are joining in half way through a number, literally grabbing a spare mic, or hooking something up to an amp. It's great practice.

One night the entire band of Norman's Fetish showed up. There was (I think) at least one horn, plus a sax... it was a complex setup... and I was running about like a blue arsed fly setting up stands, moving monitors, plugging in mics. Then I went back to the desk, looked at the signal levels, pushed up the faders... and it sounded fine. I really enjoyed them. The only minor issue we had was with monitor mix, but this was on the spur of the moment with no warning DURING a jam.

The next weekend I was on a rare excursion in town on Sat afternoon. I was in another nameless venue and they were doing their soundchecks. There were 3 or 4 bands and they were all lugging their entire backline onto stage, level checking, soundchecking, the engineer was twiddling away at the knobs, noting all the setttings in a notebook, then the band would take all their gear back down off the stage and the next lot would go up. each soundcheck was taking the guts of 20-30mins start to finish. AND YES THEY WERE REQUIRED!

So I'm looking at this thinking "Fuckin hell we've go it so easy. We don't require any of this EQ, were have very few problems with feedback. Then I remembered that with the last rig we used to go through the same hell as this dude. I recall one time (cue Mr Crow) where the soundcheck took us 45mins.

This was when I realised that really we didn't need to soundcheck anymore. By not soundchecking the bar would be busier, we'd have to work less hours, and we would be under far less pressure regarding noise emissions. And we'd save enough to cover the wages of one of the bar staff. It's a no brainer really.

On top of that looking back, it seemed like everytime a soundcheck went well there were problems during the gig. And everytime it went shit ther gig was a blinder. It's like the inverse law of soundchecks.

So Milner the answer is both yes and no. It is possible for a venue to be setup in such as eliminate the REQUIREMENT for soundchecks (although some people might feel more comfortable doing one, especially if they've had a bad experience).

This doesn't just apply to mega quality rigs either. Provided the venue is small enough not to require an enormously complex PA, then the only thing going through the rig is vocals, so there's no real need for anything much more than a line and level check.

BTW I'd love to get Norman's Fetsh back for a Saturday gig!

that's complete shite by the way

do you really feel that hard done by?

get a grip son

come to the gig

if it's rubbish

then come up and tell me about it

i'll be more than willing to listen to your opinion

and take your ideas into account

Dude, its not like i said it would be rubbish. Jesus, to be honest i don't care anymore. I was seriously considering coming up until i read that man. I dunno why people have a problem with folks voicing their opinions. Dude, i neither have a problem with you, the moorings or flash. This thing like so many others on here has been blown out of proportion because i didn't want to come to a gig that a band i wanted to see had pulled out of. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it, that i should have the freedom of choice as to whether or not i come to a gig and not be made to feel guilty about it and be constantly berated for it.

Anyways who cares.

:down:

Let's forget the whole Lost debate for a moment and have a word on soundchecks...

they are not essential

Neither's a spare string till you break one.

- what this means is

you do not have to have a soundcheck in order to sound good

But missing out a soundcheck doesn't improve your sound' date=' whereas a soundcheck can.

assuming you know how to work your amp!

Their amp.

(in my humble opinion - ghost of bongo sounded ace the other night - and they got the same treatment as everybody else)

And then another band doesn't sound good and are told "Oh well, you couldn't know how to set your amp up because Ghost of Bongo sounded ace!"

Anyway back on topic... these are 3 great touring bands playing with us tomorrow. Visit their websites and check them out. I've been looking forward to this for weeks! As an added bonus Mark is doing the sound not me (poor old deaf biker with dodgy waistcoat) so it will definately sound GREAT.

http://www.aubl.net/g-feb19.htm

HiTechJet: Emo punks (In at the Deep End Records) www.hitechjet.co.co,uk

Driving on the Right: indiepost-hardcore (Bravestar records) www.drivingontheright.co.uk

Distorted Mind: Falkirk pop punkers

Phew!

Dude' date=' its not like i said it would be rubbish. Jesus, to be honest i don't care anymore. I was seriously considering coming up until i read that man. I dunno why people have a problem with folks voicing their opinions. Dude, i neither have a problem with you, the moorings or flash. This thing like so many others on here has been blown out of proportion because i didn't want to come to a gig that a band i wanted to see had pulled out of. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it, that i should have the freedom of choice as to whether or not i come to a gig and not be made to feel guilty about it and be constantly berated for it.

Anyways who cares.

:down:[/quote']

you quite clearly care

and...

i dont have a problem with you either

i dont have a problem with lost

i dont have a problem with the moorings

i dont have a porblem with anything really

i'm in a happy place right now

all i said was that the comment you made was rubbiss (i apologies for the cussing)

i never said that you were rubbiss

i didnt take away your right or any of your freedom

- just merely pointed out that you were out of order

(and a lot of this 'blowing things out of proportion' was due to you whinging about your rights or whatever when you clearly didnt know all of the facts)

not coming to a gig because you got a bit burned on the interwideweb is a little silly dont you think?

you have the freedom of choice

come to the gig

or dont

complain about something else i've said

or dont

either way

i put the effort in to book the bands for people like you to come and see

i'll be there

and i'll most likely enjoy it

if you want to join me

then cool

if not

that's ok

i'm on holiday in an hour for a whole week anyway so :p

yuss!

:rockon:

Let's forget the whole Lost debate for a moment and have a word on soundchecks...

- how can you break a soundcheck?

(thats a poop comparison)

But missing out a soundcheck doesn't improve your sound' date=' whereas a soundcheck can.

[b']- can. yes. can is another word for might do, maybe, possibly

Their amp.

- you can use your own amp

- nobody said there was a problem with that?!

And then another band doesn't sound good and are told "Oh well, you couldn't know how to set your amp up because Ghost of Bongo sounded ace!"

- um.... yes :up:

so yeah... um...

:band:

Not at all it really does depend on the circumstances. I've posted an equally contentious thread here LOL:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21462

In it I've attempted to anaylse the whole purpose of soundchecks' date=' and in many circumstances they ARE worthwhile.

We do this open mic thing on a Sunday night. Obviously there's no time for soundchecks and it's a constant procession of different musicians and vocalists on and off the stage all night. They kart in keyboards, horns, pedals, bongos, timbalis', squeeze boxes, harmonicas... you name it!

I've got to handle on this on the fly. Quite often people are joining in half way through a number, literally grabbing a spare mic, or hooking something up to an amp. It's great practice.

One night the entire band of Norman's Fetish showed up. There was (I think) at least one horn, plus a sax... it was a complex setup... and I was running about like a blue arsed fly setting up stands, moving monitors, plugging in mics. Then I went back to the desk, looked at the signal levels, pushed up the faders... and it sounded fine. I really enjoyed them. The only minor issue we had was with monitor mix, but this was on the spur of the moment with no warning DURING a jam.

The next weekend I was on a rare excursion in town on Sat afternoon. I was in another nameless venue and they were doing their soundchecks. There were 3 or 4 bands and they were all lugging their entire backline onto stage, level checking, soundchecking, the engineer was twiddling away at the knobs, noting all the setttings in a notebook, then the band would take all their gear back down off the stage and the next lot would go up. each soundcheck was taking the guts of 20-30mins start to finish. AND YES THEY WERE REQUIRED!

So I'm looking at this thinking "Fuckin hell we've go it so easy. We don't require any of this EQ, were have very few problems with feedback. Then I remembered that with the last rig we used to go through the same hell as this dude. I recall one time (cue Mr Crow) where the soundcheck took us 45mins.

This was when I realised that really we didn't need to soundcheck anymore. By not soundchecking the bar would be busier, we'd have to work less hours, and we would be under far less pressure regarding noise emissions. And we'd save enough to cover the wages of one of the bar staff. It's a no brainer really.

On top of that looking back, it seemed like everytime a soundcheck went well there were problems during the gig. And everytime it went shit ther gig was a blinder. It's like the inverse law of soundchecks.

So Milner the answer is both yes and no. It is possible for a venue to be setup in such as eliminate the REQUIREMENT for soundchecks (although some people might feel more comfortable doing one, especially if they've had a bad experience).

This doesn't just apply to mega quality rigs either. Provided the venue is small enough not to require an enormously complex PA, then the only thing going through the rig is vocals, so there's no real need for anything much more than a line and level check.

BTW I'd love to get Norman's Fetsh back for a Saturday gig![/quote']

fair enough flash as i say i will come up and say hi and find out more about it if u dont mind next time im in.

Their amp.

Bob in fairness everyone does get to bring their own amp. There used to be an issue over this with timing when we were trying to squeeze 4 bands into 3 hours. We rectified the situation by scrapping soundchecks and starting the gig an hour earlier. See we have a restricted window where we are permitted to make noise.

And then another band doesn't sound good and are told "Oh well' date=' you couldn't know how to set your amp up because Ghost of Bongo sounded ace!"[/quote']

In fairness everyone has a bad day sometimes. The guy HAD setup the amp CORRECTLY, but he appeared to have accidentally knocked over the footswitch and changed channel. The footswitch had landed behind the curtain and I had to trace it's cable from the amp to locate it. At least I think this is what happened because one minute his signal was nice and strong and the next it dissappeared off the meter. This is my reading of the situation and I could be wrong. During a gig there is limited time to think, and you've just got to react to these situations ASAP. This was not something a soundcheck could have prevented because it happened during the gig itself.

Once something goes wrong everyone, the band, the engineer, the audience is straight on the backfoot and it's difficult to recover.

The real problem has been all the subsequent on-line speculation and accusations that have been driving people's actions. Once it settles down it's back to business as normal. We experience some feedback problems with Lost meaning we have to turn down the monitors making life far more difficult for the band. Once the new monitors are installed those issue will be ironed out and we can start afresh with Lost @ The Moorings. At least that's the outcome that I'd like.

I think I'll be present for when the bands arrive and take the mini tour - hopefully they'll decide to have a soundcheck and as they do it I'll hardcore dance while listening to MMw through one earphone of my CD player.

Then I'll create the most powerful thread ever with over 10,000 views and comments.

Sorted.

I think I'll be present for when the bands arrive and take the mini tour - hopefully they'll decide to have a soundcheck and as they do it I'll hardcore dance while listening to MMw through one earphone of my CD player.

Then I'll create the most powerful thread ever with over 10' date='000 views and comments.

Sorted.[/quote']

No in order to do that you'll need to rope in Timson, ShaunF and a few pirates. Then get stripey's ban lifted so he can contribute too.

On second thoughts please don't.

- how can you break a soundcheck?

(thats a poop comparison)

I was illustrating how things that may not seem "essential" can suddenly become so when a problem arises due to not being properly prepared. So it wasn't a poop comparison, it was a poop comeback because you deliberately never addresed the real point in an attempt to be clever.

But missing out a soundcheck doesn't improve your sound, whereas a soundcheck can. - can. yes. can is another word for might do, maybe, possibly

Exactly, and a chance to improve your sound is worth it from a band's point of view. I don't suppose you'd understand that, not being in a band.

Their amp.

- you can use your own amp

- nobody said there was a problem with that?!

It's been discussed in previous threads. Since that's no longer the case that's fine. I prefer to use my amp because I know how it works. Simple.

----------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I've agreed with a lot of what Flash has said on here, it's just what other people have said that smacks of bullshit. Right now I don't have the time to explain myself any further.

Then I'll create the most powerful thread ever with over 10' date='000 views and comments.

Sorted.[/quote']

Someone should bring Stripey back. Arguments just aren't the same wihout him.

I was illustrating how things that may not seem "essential" can suddenly become so when a problem arises due to not being properly prepared. So it wasn't a poop comparison' date=' it was a poop comeback because you deliberately never addresed the real point in an attempt to be clever.

Exactly, and a chance to improve your sound is worth it from a band's point of view. I don't suppose you'd understand that, not being in a band.

It's been discussed in previous threads. Since that's no longer the case that's fine. I prefer to use my amp because I know how it works. Simple.

----------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I've agreed with a lot of what Flash has said on here, it's just what other people have said that smacks of bullshit. Right now I don't have the time to explain myself any further.[/quote']

hand bags at dawn it is then

:guns:

Guest stuartmaxwell
Wagh wagh' date=' I'm playing a local pub and I want a soundcheck wagh wagh. Yeah well I got news for you, your band's shit and a soundcheck ain't gonna change that.[/quote']

:laughing:

superb. ha ha ha

Guest stuartmaxwell

ill be over at the lock up for fickle public etc

its a bit of a shame that this thread has all gone tits up. nobody seems to be talking about the hard work that rico and GFN are putting in to get this show on the road (arf!Driving on the right?gettit?)

the bands sound decent. i hope it goes well