aberdeen-music

People who like Punk/Emo/Rock/Indie-Rock etc.

RicoAUBL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you go shooting off at the mouth again dude i wasn't suggesting that the venue was at fault here either.....

Now from my point of view i was only gonna attend this gig to see Lost so by them not appearing you have lost my custom that night and probably those who i was gonna attend with. Now i know you're attitude will be 'so what' date=' its just one guy and his pissy mates' but it is after all customers that keep bars and clubs running.

Also read my post on your soundchecks policy.

Cheers[/quote']

so you was just coming out to see your mates then?

I don't think soundchecks are necessary at moorings anyway. I havent been able to fault the sound of any band that has played the moorings without a soundcheck. compare that to kef...bands spend like 20 mins soundchecking and have nothing to show for it cos it still sounds shit.

As Flash said, Silence in the Streets used all their own backlin, spent 10 mins sorting their levels out and played one of the best sounding sets ive heard in ages.

By that same measure it shouldn't take a really good band with a really good sound more then 30 seconds to check.

Why shouldn't they? If any band's had any proper practicing they'd already have all their levels sorted out and It should just be a case of makin' sure all their equipment has made it to the venue in working order. After that it'd just be saying which instruments you need in specific monitors, although if there's other bands on before it's probably best leaving that 'til you've played your first song/intro.

Actually i wasn't' date=' i'm not sure that i know anyone in Lost, they are just on the list of bands i would like to check out to be honest. :nono:[/quote']

Nah it was a stupid comment on my part. I was just gonna change it so sorry. But it is your loss if you miss out on Hi-Tech Jet and Driving on the Right..

Why shouldn't they? If any band's had any proper practicing they'd already have all their levels sorted out and It should just be a case of makin' sure all their equipment has made it to the venue in working order. After that it'd just be saying which instruments you need in specific monitors' date=' although if there's other bands on before it's probably best leaving that 'til you've played your first song/intro.[/quote']

so mic levels between different singers dont come into it. Differentl levels between guitars dont mean much, if this is true why do professional bands take hours sometimes getting the sound right before a gig, by what you are saying they shlould just turn up and be ready to go, never mind spending the best part of a day setting up.

so mic levels between different singers dont come into it. Differentl levels between guitars dont mean much' date=' if this is true why do professional bands take hours sometimes getting the sound right before a gig, by what you are saying they shlould just turn up and be ready to go, never mind spending the best part of a day setting up.[/quote']

Dude, i wouldn't bother. Some people are so set in there ways and are just on a big back slapping spree with Flash and the moorings that it just ain't worth voicing your opinion.

:down:

usually because they have to setup everything....

large venues for example are usually conference halls or sporting arenas

so a lengthly soundcheck is required because all of the equipment has to be put together, tested and used on the same day

to be honest...

i dont fully understand what's going on

i personally have no problems with the moorings soundcheckin policy

there's a very good reason for it

and the people who have somekind of serious problem with it are in a minority

the battle of the bands at the loft in december had no soundchecks

- for any of the heats - or the final

and everyone used the same equipment

and to be fair... there was no real issue with the sound

and there are plenty of other venues like that in this country

and probably all over the world

None of you guys are big time rock stars yet

when you are

i'm sure you'll be allowed to soundcheck to your hearts content

but a working venue with loads of different bands playing all the time doesnt really need this kind of hassle now does it?

you should be happy that the moorings puts in the effort that it does to let bands play

just because it's not how you would do it

doesnt mean it doesnt work

and this conversation

like many others

is getting boring

all i want

is for people to come and see Hitechjet and Driving on the Right

cos they're good bands

who are travelling all the way up to aberdeen to play

and i reckon some of you guys might really like them

aus.

Dude' date=' i wouldn't bother. Some people are so set in there ways and are just on a big back slapping spree with Flash and the moorings that it just ain't worth voicing your opinion.

:down:[/quote']

that's complete shite by the way

do you really feel that hard done by?

get a grip son

come to the gig

if it's rubbish

then come up and tell me about it

i'll be more than willing to listen to your opinion

and take your ideas into account

so have i been mislead for the last 5-10 years, when i was told you should always sound check before a gig, cause here i am being told they are pointless. Why sound check you should always know your sound and should know exactly how to set up for each venue before you come in, and for the 4 places youve never stepped foor in yet. This isnt a go at flash (or rico cause hes loverly he is) but rather just to point out how stupid that theory really is.

nah dude...

points over here

you're over there...

soundchecks are not pointless

but in this particular cicumstance i.e. gigs at the moorings

they are not essential

- what this means is

you do not have to have a soundcheck in order to sound good

and the setup at the moorings means that they are not mandatory and you can sound absolutely wonderful with a quick line check - assuming you know how to work your amp!

this is not a sweeping statement for all venues

just this venue in particular

(in my humble opinion - ghost of bongo sounded ace the other night - and they got the same treatment as everybody else)

(that rant above wasnt aimed at you either btw.. ;) )

Bottom line is the better your band are at tuning/playing/setting up your shit then the better you'll sound at the Moorings.

Anyways this can go in the soundcheck thread non?

This is supposed to be about the gig on Saturday - we'll see if the touring bands want to soundcheck and then we'll see what they sound like if it's just a line check.

I'm sure the results will speak for themselves.

damm it i hate it when i end up over there, its always so much darker, anyway thank you for pointing that out to me rico, now i can come back into the light......

Im gona leave this now cause i dont think this will help. I do agree rico that its not always nessesary i was in point of origin for christ sakes if we ever soundchecked it was cause we were made to......but i know what your saying it maybe isnt needed all the time, but for someone to say you never should need a should check ever is silly,

(oh yeah this rant was aimed at you :D )

xx

so have i been mislead for the last 5-10 years' date=' when i was told you should always sound check before a gig, cause here i am being told they are pointless. Why sound check you should always know your sound and should know exactly how to set up for each venue before you come in, and for the 4 places youve never stepped foor in yet. This isnt a go at flash (or rico cause hes loverly he is) but rather just to point out how stupid that theory really is.[/quote']

The main reason for soundcheck is to make sure all the lines are working ok, and get a rough balance of sound on a PA rig you have just set-up in a room the engineer doesnt usually know.

I have been all round Europe doing this with many different bands, and yes a soundcheck is a must do thing. Not only to Eq the Rig for the room, see what it will sound like when the band plays and set-up the monitors.

In the Moorings the PA Has been set-up, I know what it will sound like and the Monitors are roughly right for most bands and very easy to alter if needed.

The PA WILL reproduce the sound set on the amp, and a well rehearsed band will know the sound they want. So all that is left to do is get the levels correct on stage and the FOH will do the rest.

There is really no reason to do a full soundcheck in a venue with an Installed PA and Digital desk. The settings are usually very close from one band to another.

Please come and talk to Me or Flash (we dont bite) if you want to talk about it more.

usually because they have to setup everything....

large venues for example are usually conference halls or sporting arenas

so a lengthly soundcheck is required because all of the equipment has to be put together' date=' tested and used on the same day

to be honest...

i dont fully understand what's going on

i personally have no problems with the moorings soundcheckin policy

there's a very good reason for it

and the people who have somekind of serious problem with it are in a minority

the battle of the bands at the loft in december had no soundchecks

- for any of the heats - or the final

and everyone used the same equipment

and to be fair... there was no real issue with the sound

and there are plenty of other venues like that in this country

and probably all over the world

None of you guys are big time rock stars yet

when you are

i'm sure you'll be allowed to soundcheck to your hearts content

but a working venue with loads of different bands playing all the time doesnt really need this kind of hassle now does it?

you should be happy that the moorings puts in the effort that it does to let bands play

just because it's not how you would do it

doesnt mean it doesnt work

and this conversation

like many others

is getting boring

all i want

is for people to come and see Hitechjet and Driving on the Right

cos they're good bands

who are travelling all the way up to aberdeen to play

and i reckon some of you guys might really like them

aus.[/quote']

well said.