aberdeen-music

Hookers Green #1

Craig B

I'll try not to sound nasty or anything...

We (me and my flatmates) saw them supporting The Delgados, at the Lemon Tree a couple of weeks ago. Anyhoo, we'd heard of them quite a few times, and so assumed they would be good.

They were awful.

But...

Was that just a bad night, because we've seen interviews where people have said they are amazing and such like, so we were wondering whether maybe it was just a bad night for them.

Im actually pissed off with this thread.......

Hookers Green#1 are an extremely talented band....with probably the most talented line up in the uk.....

If you have seen them play crap then its just a bad day....too drunk maybe!!!....

As for everyones other comments about singing etc.. etc...

Nick is a great singer who rivals tom york in talent stakes....i doubt the guitar is dischordant cause their players hail from other bands such as politik(copy_haho) and reasons are red......(nick the other guitar player is also very talented as i have seen him play on his own).....

Dan's saxaphone playing in my experience is spot on.....drums by neil (i think thats his name) are always in perfect time if not the most experimental drums you will ever see....joe heartys extra toms and synth playing is amazing..... and they swop roles in the band aswell which also adds to the individuality and greatness.....

Im not being a dick but they are fucking awesome even if they are not your cup of tea....but to think they are shit is just down right wrong...and like i said.....if u have seen them play 'bad' then it really is an off day....

( a record deal with snowstorm and an album due for release may prove my point)

Guest Zeenat Aman

When HG#1 are good, they are very very good, but yes in my experience they can be a bit hit or miss live. (They were f-ing excellent the one time i played flute with them at the Lemon Treeback in the good old days of philipjamesjohnston :p)

I think their slightly shambolic sound is part of their appeal/or is something that puts people off them.

Ach whatever.... they are a great people, a great band, and their album is great also, I listen to it a lot.

But the below post made me cackle :laughing::woohoo:

Im actually pissed off with this thread.......

Hookers Green#1 are an extremely talented band....with probably the most talented line up in the uk.....

If you have seen them play crap then its just a bad day....too drunk maybe!!!....

As for everyones other comments about singing etc.. etc...

Nick is a great singer who rivals tom york in talent stakes....i doubt the guitar is dischordant cause their players hail from other bands such as politik(copy_haho) and reasons are red......(nick the other guitar player is also very talented as i have seen him play on his own).....

Dan's saxaphone playing in my experience is spot on.....drums by neil (i think thats his name) are always in perfect time if not the most experimental drums you will ever see....joe heartys extra toms and synth playing is amazing..... and they swop roles in the band aswell which also adds to the individuality and greatness.....

Im not being a dick but they are fucking awesome even if they are not your cup of tea....but to think they are shit is just down right wrong...and like i said.....if u have seen them play 'bad' then it really is an off day....

( a record deal with snowstorm and an album due for release may prove my point)

Aye, but if one of the most 'tallented line-ups in the uk' can't even guage how much alcohol to consume before a gig, i don't think it'll do them any big favours. I've only seen them once, headlining the lemon tree about a year ago and i walked out early because i failed to see what the fuss was about. I also find it strange how Philip uses the word 'shambolic' to describe their sound, i'd hate that word to be associated with my band. Definately seem like a huge case of hit-or-miss.

Interesting...I really want to see these guys live now (are they playing anytime soon..?). What I've heard of their recorded stuff is amazing. I sometimes get the impression that they're more of a collective/side-project though (what with members being in other bands etc), is that accurate?

I do love Hookers Green but I have to admit that they can be very hit and miss. I've seen them twice now, hating them the first time and loving them the second. However, if you catch them on a good night, you just might be blown away. I certainly was and on the strength of that second gig i saw, I would definitely go and see them again.

Maybe they're just shit, who knows?

Guest Zeenat Aman

Well Paul, not everyone/every band wants to be "tight" and the use of the word shambolic was meant as a compliment...

In my opinion, there's a sense of freedom, psychedelia and creativity in their music. I hope they are proud of their album because it's uber wonderful!

Aye' date=' but if one of the most 'tallented line-ups in the uk' can't even guage how much alcohol to consume before a gig, i don't think it'll do them any big favours. I've only seen them once, headlining the lemon tree about a year ago and i walked out early because i failed to see what the fuss was about. I also find it strange how Philip uses the word 'shambolic' to describe their sound, i'd hate that word to be associated with my band. Definately seem like a huge case of hit-or-miss.[/quote']

well! live stuff is live stuff. i think at the delgados gig the sound was off - i don't know much about sound man bits and pieces, but things sounded very loud that shouldn't have and vice versa. I did think that some of the backing vocals seemed out of tune. But, in honesty, i've seen hookers green play completely blinding gigs too.

conclusion:

You should listen to the album when it's comes out this year because it's really very, very good. If you can't manage that, get some classic Meatloaf to self-mutilate to, because that's also very good.

adele

Guest lime ruined my life
Aye' date=' but if one of the most 'tallented line-ups in the uk' can't even guage how much alcohol to consume before a gig, i don't think it'll do them any big favours. I've only seen them once, headlining the lemon tree about a year ago and i walked out early because i failed to see what the fuss was about. I also find it strange how Philip uses the word 'shambolic' to describe their sound, i'd hate that word to be associated with my band. Definately seem like a huge case of hit-or-miss.[/quote']

arn't shambolic what onion terror are all about?

I'll give them another try then, as I said, I only saw them the once and was not exactly blown away. But if it was a bad night...

It was just em and my flatmates saw them, were dissapointed to say the least but noticed there wasaa lot of mentions about them here there and everywhere.

The drummer was good.

I agree with Craig! Saw them the night of Lemon Tree with Delgados and was really disappointed! I won't write them off as a bad band on one showing but like any other band first impressions count for a lot!

I am not doubting the singers talents, but he had zero stage presence! He had his back to the crowd the whole time pretty much and did not have the confidence of a front man or lead vocalist.

As I say though I won't write them off but it just makes me wonder...are some bands over hyped and people almost forced into or steered into having to like them because they are "cool" or someone important or supposedly knowing says they are good???

I heart the Green! I've only seen them twice, and they didn't really sound the same the second time as the first, but I enjoyed both sets much, and the album is rad... they make great atmospheric type stuff that you can kind of daydream through but it also has a very unique style so it's interesting if you actually pay attention to it.. I'd continue but I'm not very good at descriptions. That's my take on it anyway. I can imagine that not everybody would be into it though.

Either way, they're playing on the 19th at the Lock-up

Guest neil ex

I've always enjoyed Hookers Green live. Sometimes they sound great, sometimes they don't, but when they don't sound great and sound a bit muddled, there's a different quality to their performance. They have good music anyway..

It all comes down to people having different tastes. I can enjoy things in a shambolic way, and I also think natural shyness can be quite an endearing quality in a performer.. Others think differently.