aberdeen-music

To: The Aberdeen Music Scene

Ross

In the time it takes to write out all the subjective opinion I've just wasted 10 mintues of my precious time reading, y'all could've been in band practice getting better so people will come and see you. An under-wired bra supports the breasts, a good pair of jockey-shorts supports the ba's. Without these, there's droopage.

I wasn`t aware that there was a 300 gig a year Professional Covers band in Aberdeen. Sorry.

Do they have a web site?

To be fair, most of these acts are national acts that tour constantly and are not based in Aberdeen but play here.

Examples are, The Macs, Michael Darren, John Colletta duo, Bedhead, The Panokis Twins ect.

They probably do have websites but I don't know the addresses. All are full time, self contained and play 200-300 gigs a year. Bedhead probably play Aberdeen the most as they are a club dance act as well and are nearest. They followed Emma at O'donaghue's not long ago. Sadly Emma's so called "sound man" managed to fuck her sound up royally, although I did enjoy her.

The Macs are a truly international act, playing all over europe and the far east, but their singer had a baby recently and they're staying nearer to home (stirling) for a couple of years.

Of course non of these acts will be this boards cup of tea as they play whatever the venue needs them to play. But they all do it for a living and are in a different game altogether.

Of course non of these acts will be this boards cup of tea as they play whatever the venue needs them to play. But they all do it for a living and are in a different game altogether.

That's not really relevant to this discussion at all, as you said, it's a different game altogether.

Anyway. The way I see it, a lot of bands playing lots of gigs in the same town does not make a 'scene'. This is all we have just now. A scene is a particular movement with its own impetus, all pushing in the same direction, and creating something special, far greater than its individual parts.

It''s not a scene if no-one else notices...

Emma didn't have a soundman that gig' date=' she turned up and was told there wasn't even a working PA that gig, which we did get working.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Every other solo act that plays there manages to use it, although I concur it is wank.

Some wonderful howling feedback at first, which was then curbed by the other guitarist, who then proceeded to play along on a woefully out of tune guitar.

Sorry, I felt Emma deserved better, because she is good.

That's not really relevant to this discussion at all' date=' as you said, it's a different game altogether.

Anyway. The way I see it, a lot of bands playing lots of gigs in the same town does not make a 'scene'. This is all we have just now. A scene is a particular movement with its own impetus, all pushing in the same direction, and creating something special, far greater than its individual parts.

It''s not a scene if no-one else notices...[/quote']

Depends what you mean by "scene" of course. The music scene encompassing the whole musical community or the "jazz scene", "the folk scene" or "the alternative scene" and other single genre zenophobic closed shops with delusions of superiority.

Every other solo act that plays there manages to use it' date=' although I concur it is wank.

Some wonderful howling feedback at first, which was then curbed by the other guitarist, who then proceeded to play along on a woefully out of tune guitar.

Sorry, I felt Emma deserved better, because she is good.[/quote']

If we'd realised we would have brought someone along who could have done the sound, Emma had never played there, next time we will have someone there who can do it. I'm pretty sure tah the guitar was in tune, Hog knows how to tune a guitar and i remember him using Emma's tuner beforehand to check.

It certainly wasn't a good gig for Emma, but it was something that we did our best on, next time we'll know better.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
Hog knows how to tune a guitar

:laughing:

To be fair' date=' most of these acts are national acts that tour constantly and are not based in Aberdeen but play here.

Examples are, The Macs, Michael Darren, John Colletta duo, Bedhead, The Panokis Twins ect.

They probably do have websites but I don't know the addresses. All are full time, self contained and play 200-300 gigs a year. Bedhead probably play Aberdeen the most as they are a club dance act as well and are nearest. They followed Emma at O'donaghue's not long ago. Sadly Emma's so called "sound man" managed to fuck her sound up royally, although I did enjoy her.

The Macs are a truly international act, playing all over europe and the far east, but their singer had a baby recently and they're staying nearer to home (stirling) for a couple of years.

Of course non of these acts will be this boards cup of tea as they play whatever the venue needs them to play. But they all do it for a living and are in a different game altogether.[/quote']

What Doc's talking about is essentially modern day Cabaret bands/acts.

Here's a nice man and wife team who've been going since the 1960's: http://www.hillmanweb.com/odyssey/

:)

If we'd realised we would have brought someone along who could have done the sound' date=' Emma had never played there, next time we will have someone there who can do it. I'm pretty sure tah the guitar was in tune, Hog knows how to tune a guitar and i remember him using Emma's tuner beforehand to check.

It certainly wasn't a good gig for Emma, but it was something that we did our best on, next time we'll know better.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Oop! Was that Hog? Maybe he was just playing the wrong notes then. Kudos to him for sorting the howling out though. Emma's quality showed through as it always does.

• 7 years later...

...and isn't the scene currently overflowing with bands from genres clear across the board, from Stanley to Indian Red Lopez to Dweller to Grader. Shows aren't generally very busy but fucking nothing is busy these days! Nobody has any money! Pubs and clubs are going bust left and right, but we still have a healthy selection of gigs on just about every night of the week because folk like AGP and Daily Dischord are still happy to run gigs here either making losses or breaking even. I don't see why all the peeking about the scene being shit is going around...? Is it because you think your band are amazing but nobody likes you? And because you don't like the bands that are pulling big crowds?

I just don't get it.

xx

• Upvote 2

I really do think it is as simple as people being skint I find people are very eager to help local bands out and go to shows and buy merch etc but it really is expensive to go to a gig, have a few beers and buy a t-shirt. Then there is the argument that maybe the people complaining about the music scene just aren't a part of the younger thriving scene. I think what Tuff Wax are doing is also awesome.

I really do think it is as simple as people being skint I find people are very eager to help local bands out and go to shows and buy merch etc but it really is expensive to go to a gig, have a few beers and buy a t-shirt. Then there is the argument that maybe the people complaining about the music scene just aren't a part of the younger thriving scene. I think what Tuff Wax are doing is also awesome.

Yeah I often forget about Tuff Wax because they don't cater to styles of music I'm a particular fan of, but there's them, Black Lake and others floating about too! Not to mention Fat Hippy slogging away in the background as always.

xx

• Upvote 1

That's a scene from a gig-goer's perspective, but what about from the bands' perspective?

Is there a 'scene', in terms of bands actually working together and supporting each other? Are there bands that regularly gig together, organise stuff between themselves, or even just hang about together? To me a scene is when people from outside the area start noticing that something is happening. Some sort of collective force that creates more than the sum of its parts. Maybe central belt people suddenly looking north and saying "what's going on up there?" Is that likely any time soon? Do we have that now?

Lots of good views. Doc and gord from Dundee points about genre scenes being elitist and competition in music being unhealthy etc. ive noticed how Inverness are doing something right, which was shit for live music when I lived there. They now have Top class venues and festivals etc and theyre packed with folk who wanna have a good time. May be that's the simple key folk go out to have a good time. They appear to like original innovative passionate music but they wanna have a good time. Venues packed, folk up dancing etc. Good times. So they've created this eclectic busy music scene which I notice is so well supported by local folk. Little in fighting or negativity. So it can be done.

They need entertainment and tourism more than we do when we have oil (?)

Not interested in scenes but Ive heard folk talk about an encompassing record company that focuses on good tunes that could sell outwith the town and Create a brand and thus promote the music scene say like postcard or belle and Sebastian did for Glasgow (creating a new/false reality!!) but I think That's just one part (if at all relevant), getting late night venues free entry good band fee, packed with folk is what breeds the scene (?). Aberdeen has sorted the bigger venues like music hall etc fine

Great city lots of money to spend should be a doddle!