aberdeen-music

To: The Aberdeen Music Scene

Ross

Totally. I'm not a fan of the backstabbing OR brown-nosing that goes on here. I think a post by 'neilunderscorecooper' not that long ago summed up this scene, 'specially from an outsider's perspective. I can say I no longer go to the amount of gigs that I used to, but still quite a few I guess. And if there's a band I don't like, given the opportunity, I'll give any constructive criticism I can. Anyone who gives up time to practice and has the guts to go on stage gets the thumbs up and respect from me. But it appears everyone isn't so nice.

Now you should all come to Kef this Friday to see:

Onion Terror, Infection, Schmuk, Gone2Far AND Misled Youth.

Doors 7pm.

Tickets are 4.50 or 3 from those lovely chaps in Onion Terror.

Yo' date=' Morrison, that wasn't intended to wind people up, i was just venting some long thought feelings about these forums. You know me better that man. :nono:[/quote']

I can almost guarantee that post wasn't directed at you.

Scrapping the forums isn't the answer - perhaps the 'ignore' button would serve you better sir?

Guest stuartmaxwell
Please... can people pull their heads from their respective arse holes and start working together as its starting to become a joke.

Years ago the scene was all bolstered by bands working to help each other out in any way shape or form.

People supported anything that a local band did as they were from Aberdeen.

SO WHAT if you don't like a bands music..... rather than critisise it why not embrace the positive things that people do.

The demise of Dr Drakes is a tragedy and one that will hopefully make people realise that most of Aberdeen doesn`t give a flying fuck about it`s local bands or even bands in general unless they can sell out The Music Hall or the AECC.

Anyone ever wondered why NO ABERDEEN BAND in the last 15 years has signed to a major. (Assumes that Driveblind havn`t inked a deal yet)

guess whos looking for scene points :D

i joke.

i agree with what you are saying. it seems to be like that in glasgow too, probably a lot owrse though

i have stopped giving any opinions about abdn bands now

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but the reasons I haven't been to a gig in ages is because most of the bands that I liked in the last few years (eg Substistence, Bodies, Sirius, Point etc) have split up and I honestly haven't seen any new bands recently that I've liked enough to go and pay money to watch them play.

Also, Kef, The Lemon Tree & Moshulu charge alot of money to get in, (6 for fucking Kef?), and OK a fiver or so may not be alot to some people, but I never have any money and it's puts me off going to gigs and possibly seeing new bands.

Just my opinion, which I'm sure is worthless :D

Elwood

As for the idea of supporting any band just because they're from Aberdeen - why? You like what you like because of what it sounds like' date=' not where it's from. I admire the bands from Aberdeen who give their band a serious go, Psycho-a-go-go for example, but it doesn't mean I want to go to their gigs/buy their cd's etc.[/quote']

I fully agree with this and remember saying this a while back.

I think there are loads of issues here. The whole "scene" thing is a bit over my head and I don't really get the whole concept. What I will say though is:

If folk are going to a gig just to look trendy or be seen in the right place - so what? At the end of the day the joke's on them as they are essentially supporting the local scene and bringing revenue to a local venue

I can't understand the whole thing about the local bands. It's all coming back on itself in my view. If you don't like a band, local or whatever, you won't go and see them. Aren't you just becoming a "scenester" if you start going to see bands you don't even like?

I don't see many local bands nowadays apart from the usual ones I see because I just don't like what I hear. You can't manufacture great bands - I think the sad truth is no - one out there is doing anything different or exciting enough to warrant being signed to a label. (apart from the local bands I like, who i'll keep to myself.) I'll easily go and see a new local band play, no probs there, but if i don't like them I guarantee you i'll avoid them from them on, as I have heard what they have done, acknowledged they are out doing their own thing - repect and all that - but I won't want to see them again.

And it is a real tragedy Drakes has now closed down. I find it disappointing as I remember it being packed out so many times - So sad to see the best alt. venue in Aberdeen closing down.

let's hope some of the kids out there forming bands now can come up with something fresh and exciting. I don't think the "scene" affects bands when they are just starting out - the time when they are most likely to be picked up by a label.

Shall we be seeing Mr Karloff at any of these events?

Actually, yes. I've been to Jungle Nation gigs before certainly. I have every intention of going to see Piney Gir at SNAFU, despite the extreme electronica thing not being my exact cup of tea. I was also looking forward to the prospect of seeing Kasule at the Castlegate event, until I discovered it was the same time as one of our own gigs outwith the city.

Were you trying to make a point, maybe? I've even been along to view various bands you've been a part of over the years... And your musical style is hardly me now, is it...?

I think that truthfully, being in a band in Aberdeen can be a very isolating experience. In the past I really cared about other bands and had high hopes for the scene as a whole but generally, there was always someone who wanted to shit on it and tear it down.

That's why around a year ago I totally withdrew Point of Origin from aberdeen-music and even had Neil delete my account. I just didn't feel like there was anything that could be accomplished here and that if we wanted to do things we had to do them on our own.

Now I've started Stayover I really don't want to continue in the same vein. I think that bands in Aberdeen can compete and cooperate at the same time. There's no need for bitchyness. We repeatedly told Quik that we'd always try to ouplay them everytime we graced the same stage.

We tell the same thing to MMw because they understand where we're coming from. We want to be the best, but we'll do anything in our power to help them... they want to be the best but have helped us out at every turn.

Honestly, I think we're feeling the effects of this already, I feel like we're getting on faster than we would on our own and besides - it's a much better way to work.

Guest neil ex

I won't pay money to go and see bands I don't like, just to support them.. I scrape by every month as it is at the moment! I will take a chance on something though..

In conclusion, Ross was clearly just trying to gain scene points and it's obviously worked! :D

Guest Zeenat Aman

Yes I was trying to make a point, but obviously picked the wrong guy to do that with. Father Darth :p

The crux of the matter is, you cant expect people to attend gigs featuring bands they dont like just to support a venue or a scene.

:)

Actually' date=' yes. I've been to Jungle Nation gigs before certainly. I have every intention of going to see Piney Gir at SNAFU, despite the extreme electronica thing not being my exact cup of tea. I was also looking forward to the prospect of seeing Kasule at the Castlegate event, until I discovered it was the same time as one of our own gigs outwith the city.

Were you trying to make a point, maybe? I've even been along to view various bands you've been a part of over the years... And your musical style is hardly me now, is it...?[/quote']

It's all to do with ego/jealousy/apathy/bandwagon jumping and so on...

For instance' date=' why did Allysa's Wish(sp?) suddenly become Aberdeen's worst/most hated band(whatever it was) at last years Fudge Awards? I know those awards aren't meant to be taken too seriously, but it's a sign that all is not well and healthy.

Just one example.[/quote']

hey you're right

it's all Brians fault !

:band:

The crux of the matter is' date=' you cant expect people to attend gigs featuring bands they dont like just to support a venue or a scene.[/quote']

But you can expect people like the Dr Drakes crew to organise, promote and hold a gig featuring bands they don't really like that much? Seems like a pretty one-way attitude to me. Maybe they should give up on trying to give the city something different then and go work for DF Concerts or ClearChannel? What's the point, if people aren't going to support their efforts?

PS : That's rich coming from Mark Hamill's face double :p

But you can expect people like the Dr Drakes crew to organise' date=' promote and hold a gig featuring bands they don't really like that much? Seems like a pretty one-way attitude to me. [/size']

isn't that their job? i understand your point, but the fact is, if you don't like the music playing at a gig, it's hardly going to be money well spent is it? i mean, if a band you really dislike were playing, going to the gig is just pointless.

Please... can people pull their heads from their respective arse holes and start working together as its starting to become a joke.

Years ago the scene was all bolstered by bands working to help each other out in any way shape or form.

People supported anything that a local band did as they were from Aberdeen.

SO WHAT if you don't like a bands music..... rather than critisise it why not embrace the positive things that people do.

The demise of Dr Drakes is a tragedy and one that will hopefully make people realise that most of Aberdeen doesn`t give a flying fuck about it`s local bands or even bands in general unless they can sell out The Music Hall or the AECC.

Anyone ever wondered why NO ABERDEEN BAND in the last 15 years has signed to a major. (Assumes that Driveblind havn`t inked a deal yet)

I agree with this in part......there is too much shittyness with other bands and that SHOULD stop.....

But i dont think you need to support the scene just for the sake of supporting it....for example i aint ever going to pay to see a ska band etc.... its not my thing.

I dont think that anyone is to blame for not being signed to a 'major' label....thats not what music is all about.....did everyone forget that just having fun is cool?

And i think that some bands in aberdeen are good enough to be on a big label anyway....maybe their chance hasnt come.....and maybe with time it will...

And you cant rag on everyone just cause they only go to the music hall to see a gig....if thats their thing then so fucking what....more fool them for missing out on good local music....

isn't that their job? i understand your point' date=' but the fact is, if you don't like the music playing at a gig, it's hardly going to be money well spent is it? i mean, if a band you really dislike were playing, going to the gig is just pointless.[/quote']

unless a band you absolutely love is playing the same bill. case in point - taproot/linkin park/deftones at SECC years back...hate linkin park, love the deftones..so i go. but that's on an international touring band scale...getting back to local...

i agree with what a lot of people are saying, if i don't like the bands in the bill i won't go see them because it's a waste of the little money i have. however, if i do enjoy the band i have decided i will now get off my arse and endavour to see them. if i'm not working or have an essay due the next day (sodding missed alexisonfire and the bled because of anthropology). i'll soon (hopefully) feel the brunt of the local scene once Sixteen Accused start gigging....so until then and until i have better formed opinions i'll hold my tongue.

Guest Main Agent

Hmm, there are some intersting views here,

There is no doubt in my mind that music as a form of entertainment is unsurpassed, there are a great variety of different bands in this town/shithole, the trouble is that the "scene" does not make moves, it apears to be dictated to by elements of the media, broadcasting, and publishing houses that are purely driven by a commercial agenda,

So we have the rise of the boyband, the rise of the girl band, the rise of the punk boyband, the rise of the metal boyband, etc etc, etc,,, You see what Im getting at yet?

I dont think its cool to go to a gig surrounded by Sun/Kerang/NME reading MTV watching pubescents out of thier faces on alcopops,

I dont like the alternative either, jammed into a basement type place with a bunch of pillheads all dripping on me,

I hate the way in which the herd mentality dominates our culture, and that those with any imagination are immediately stifled by those whose financial interests are more powerful,

I think it will be great when the smoking ban comes into force and kills the bars and nightclubs and the binge drinking culture which is the real reason for the ban.

The smoking ban really is a smokescreen.

Then we will have space to redfine a music scene, a music scene which is not forced down our throats by the media,

Perhaps it will be an underground scene, perhaps it will be online gigs amonst friends, but that booze/fags/sun reading neighbours watching rupert murdoch kissing cult is gone now, not that it ever was a creative force, merely a controling force,

And lots of us have the Tshirt to prove it,

T in the park? that excuse for a multinational global corporate fart? just sing the national anthem for fucksake! Then the star spangled banner!

The force of youth rebellion will form its own cult and scene,

It will say Fuck Off to the old ways,

Go forth and create you visionaries

Very true Mr Morrison. Some of us oldies have now seen 2 'Drakes' venues live and die. Drakes was always somewhere that you could have your first gig and i have many memories from both venues back in my Psychoagogo and then Dos Dedos days.

The 'scene' was, as others have said, different in those days. There were less bands. And those of us in bands knew most of the other bands on the go.

Getting people to come to gigs and support local bands is the age old problem.......

Cost is possibly a major factor, but people in Aberdeen have never been big on watching local bands.

The closure of venues such as Drakes, however, does not help us at all..................

Steve

On a side note they are looking for local bands to play the "live on the lawn" event at Crathes Castle.

jamie Callum is the only one confirmed to play.

Basically send in demo's and some information about yourself(presspack?) and they will be judged at a judging session closer to the date.

The address is

PO Box 10425,

Aberdeen Post Office

You know what they say..."every little helps".

To clarify....

I`m not meaning Support a band by going to see them when you don`t like them. I`m meaning help them by using constructive critisism. Help out young bands.

Go North is coming up soon and they have loads and loads of tips and contact details that you can aquire from their workshops.

What I meant with Major labels and all that was that to be on a Major and the likes you generally have to look and act the part. Slick, oranised and professional acting bands will do a lot better than others.

Bands should start sussing out when they need to stop cutting their teeth on the live circuit and start honing their live shows to make them look like a pro band as well as acting like one offstage.

If every band in Aberdeen started acting the part and putting on a show instead of playing a gig you`d probably get a lot more peopl that don`t usually go to local gigs in attendance.

Just a thought.

Guest Zeenat Aman

The Simon Gall Band played last year, supporting Katie Melua... people asked for our autographs which was amusing!

Gigs were a lot busier afterwards for a short while, but then back to the same ol thing.

On a side note they are looking for local bands to play the "live on the lawn" event at Crathes Castle.

jamie Callum is the only one confirmed to play.

Basically send in demo's and some information about yourself(presspack?) and they will be judged at a judging session closer to the date.

The address is

PO Box 10425' date='

Aberdeen Post Office

You know what they say..."every little helps".[/quote']

This seems to be an occuring problem with bands that seem to think they are "bigger" than other bands! I always stick around to support the other band swho we're playing with and also do my best to make contact with one or more of the members before we even go on! Our drummer is portuguese and he really couldnt give a fuck who he is talkin to as long as its about drumming or music that shows how much he loves the shit the thing is many people workin together to help each other out is ultimatley gonna benefit every single band and make aberdeen a good dare i say reputable scene for music like glasgow and such! I say support Aberdeen and Aberdeen will support you!!!!! peace