aberdeen-music

To: The Aberdeen Music Scene

Ross

In a local context' date=' who and when?[/quote']

I'm not going to name names as far as putting someone down, but a great example of a band that took and takes a hell of a lot of stick, yet comes back stronger each time is MMW. Like them or hate them, it's pretty much undeniable that they keep on doing what they do regardless of what people say about them.

I think this has been covered quite well already' date=' but to summerise aberdeen does not need a 'scene' A scene is just an excuse for people with trendy haircuts to boost their own self esteem. Aberdeen needs people out watching bands, forming opinions on them, and telling their friends. If everyone took a non gig going friend with them to see a local band, then we would be getting somewhere.[/quote']

And what would we call this? Heres an idea, Lets call it a 'local scene'!!

I think this has been covered quite well already' date=' but to summerise aberdeen does not need a 'scene' A scene is just an excuse for people with trendy haircuts to boost their own self esteem. Aberdeen needs people out watching bands, forming opinions on them, and telling their friends. If everyone took a non gig going friend with them to see a local band, then we would be getting somewhere.[/quote']

correct

positive change.

:up:

I'm not going to name names as far as putting someone down' date=' but a great example of a band that took and takes a hell of a lot of stick, yet comes back stronger each time is MMW. Like them or hate them, it's pretty much undeniable that they keep on doing what they do regardless of what people say about them.[/quote']

Yes but the problems arise when its a band thats been doing their thing for a while and the criticism stops being about the music and becomes more of a personal thing....the demise of Alyssa's Wish being a good example...what a fucking waste.

the demise of Alyssa's Wish being a good example...what a fucking waste.

AMEN.....all due to backstabbing and egos and dillusions of grandure.

This band should reform.... Possibly with a different drummer due to his commitments; although certainly with Kris and Steve.........With a more focussed approach I feel that they could easily start to get somewhere quite quickly.

Yes but the problems arise when its a band thats been doing their thing for a while and the criticism stops being about the music and becomes more of a personal thing....the demise of Alyssa's Wish being a good example...what a fucking waste.

But surely they should have continued regardless of what people said about them... and that their demise was not entirely due to a few people bitching about them on an Aberdeen message board?

They were/are in my eyes (and I'm sure yours too Graeme) the best band Aberdeen has seen - or at least the band that could have potentially made the best stab at being 'successful'... I'd have thought they'd have been strong enough to get through the backlash after being so loved the previous year.

I am pretty sure that MMW will win the 'worst band' category at the fudge awards this year, and I am hoping that we do as it would almost be an honour after AW won it last year.

As someone said to me offline about this, the problem is in the Aberdeen scene is that its not that people dont like the bands per say it's that people dont like the people in the bands, it gets personal, and everyone at some point is to blame for this, everyone does it, it's human nature - but it can go too far. There are bands i don't like but i hope they do well, a band doing well is good for any band playing in Aberdeen. I will always try to tell a band what i think honestly, but normally constructively in what i think they need to change to be something people might be interested in. I very seldom completely slag off a band for the way they are musically because I have a music taste and its not the same as anyone elses, I will pass comment about stuff that i really don't feel works and in general dont have a problem with people doing that about anything I'm involved in if its done constructively, but people take it too far, and i'm as guilty as anyone of that at times.

Before this site then people had a more open mind about aberdeen bands, this site is a good thing in some ways but not in others. A comment made about someone on here really shouldnt matter, the problem is it often does because people on here take this too seriously but it can be hard when someones telling you how crap you are to keep going, same as its difficult not to get up yourself when someone tells you how good you are. People are people, things that shouldn't hurt do, and things that should we can often laugh off.

I know how tough it can be for some artists, I've managed people who have nearly given up because of nasty comments, they can take bad reviews but when it gets personal do you want personal stuff mentioned on the boards etc, for some people thats the time to get out and no-one can blame them.

There have been some comments made about Emma on these boards on more than one occasion, some of them upset her, some made her laugh, but we've moved on and come back, this year she's got a new guitarist in the mighty Hog, she's playing gigs in Glasgow and Edinburgh, not big gigs, but they raise the profile, and she's supporting Midge in Dundee in front of over 600 people, at the moment as far as i've seen the biggest gig an Aberdeen artist is playing this year so far. Even Jo's had her moments when criticism has really hurt her, likewise onwards and upwards and next week she's playing to 2000 people (again with Midge) in London, a decent gig by any artists standards. One persons opinion shouldnt matter and most of the time it doesn't but sometimes it does sting enough it's enough to make someone step away and thats a sad loss.

Lets hope that people can start commenting on the bands, and the music and not on the people and we might get on better. Criticism if it's done constructively is a very good thing, personal slaggings isn't sometimes theres a thin line between the 2, sometimes people just take digs for no reason. This scene could benefit from bands giving help and advice etc to other bands, even if its just contacts etc it would be a good thing.

Cheers

Stuart

Yeah I have one of their tunes on an Exile Studios CD and it's a really strong piece. I'd love for them to have played The Moorings but such is life. Doesn't stop it being a crying shame though.

What other people say about a band or performer - that doesn't influence me. Whether or not I like their music is also irrelevant because doubtless plenty of other people do. What matters to me is how the performers conduct themselves in their professional relations with the bar, and that just boils down to coutesy, goodwill, and timekeeping... and of course putting on a good show.

Lifes too short to deal with arseholes though...

I wasn`t aware that there was a 300 gig a year Professional Covers band in Aberdeen. Sorry.

Do they have a web site?

There is... I keep telling you this. Just pray you are never subjected to watching them butcher Basket Case 12 times a year, often twice in the same gig. Worse still they even have a band that covers them. I'm not making this up. But it's the fans you have to watch out for most of all. I take back all the good things I said in defence of my fellow Aberdonians 3 pages back.

So I don't know alot about the Aberdeen music scene, having only played there once myself, but down in Dundee people have the same complaints. And I'm pretty sure most major cities have similar complaints too, it's easy to criticise when you're involved in something so closely.

One of the biggest problems (in Dundee anyway) is that people can be afraid to take a chance and discover something new. The 'emo' gigs and the metal gigs always have good turnouts in Dundee, but these are also the bands that aren't really going to make waves because it's all been done before. Then when truly original bands/artists put on gigs, the shows are poorly attended because people can't be bothered with something they don't know too well.

There's been some success stories in Dundee though, Snow Patrol being a classic example. Fair enough, they weren't from Dundee originally but they all met at Dundee uni and started out playing the same venues we play in every month. Alamos are making waves too (although I'm not sure why! ;) ) Mercury Tilt Switch have had some moderate success too, and after years of hard work, Laeto seem to be getting the recognition they deserve also.

The thing is, those bands all had something new to offer, and people took a chance and went out to support them. It's tough though, you can't force people to go to gigs. And it's up to the bands too, especially if they play regularly, to keep things interesting by not playing the same set every month for two years.

But I noticed many of you talking about these Fudge Awards... I reckon when you start holding awards and stuff it's like sounding a death knoll... I know it's just a bit of fun, but rock and roll should never be a competition... look at the Brit awards... absolutely meaningless. It's why I also dislike battle of the bands competitions, although I guess those are here to stay. It's healthy to have bands wanting to be the best, but it's not a game.

I guess my point is that as bad as it seems, all you can do is keep having fun. If it stops being fun, you can either moan about it, or do something about it. And moaning about it isn't going to make things better. We have the same problems in Dundee, people bitching and backstabbing... these people should bugger off and let people who actually enjoy it be involved.