aberdeen-music

To: The Aberdeen Music Scene

Ross

Please... can people pull their heads from their respective arse holes and start working together as its starting to become a joke.

Years ago the scene was all bolstered by bands working to help each other out in any way shape or form.

People supported anything that a local band did as they were from Aberdeen.

SO WHAT if you don't like a bands music..... rather than critisise it why not embrace the positive things that people do.

The demise of Dr Drakes is a tragedy and one that will hopefully make people realise that most of Aberdeen doesn`t give a flying fuck about it`s local bands or even bands in general unless they can sell out The Music Hall or the AECC.

Anyone ever wondered why NO ABERDEEN BAND in the last 15 years has signed to a major. (Assumes that Driveblind havn`t inked a deal yet)

Surely thats a bad thing, no? If a band are techinally inept and pretty darn bad then whats the point of giving them false hope?

Aberdeen doesn't have a good enough music scene to warrent anyone giving them a major record deal, and that's my honest opinion.

*edit* I've realised that will come across really badly, and there's a hell of a lot of bands I aint seen, but I still stress that the majority i've witnessed have never blown me over as to the extent that they warrant a major deal.

Someone has needed to make this post for a very long time... And I echo the sentiment 110%.

We have so much talent, great ideas, and personalities invovled in the scene... But none of it is hitting its potential, because there are many squabbles, vendettas and lies etc.

Of course there's room for criticism (constructive) and there is also room for praise... Many folk often forget that.

I disagree with the above post... i think we have some great bands in the North East, or some potentially good bands up this way, but with the scene being as it is, and with venues being as they are, and audiences being as they are, bands find it very difficult.

Although, for the above factors, I tend to book more gigs out of town in Glasgow/Edinburgh/Dundee and so on, rather than up here.

Losing Dr Drakes is a huge huge blow to the scene...

Surely thats a bad thing' date=' no? If a band are techinally inept and pretty darn bad then whats the point of giving them false hope?

Aberdeen doesn't have a good enough music scene to warrent anyone giving them a major record deal, and that's my honest opinion.[/quote']

Sorry I meant that people got behind bands that went off and did the toilet tour. or started promoting themselves in a positive fashion etc.

Aberdeen has a great potential but bands don`t raise their game and strive for things. I`m not doubting people's ambition......merely the commitment.....

Well done to all bands that push the boat out and actually work for what they believe in.

Guest Zeenat Aman

It's all to do with ego/jealousy/apathy/bandwagon jumping and so on...

For instance, why did Allysa's Wish(sp?) suddenly become Aberdeen's worst/most hated band(whatever it was) at last years Fudge Awards? I know those awards aren't meant to be taken too seriously, but it's a sign that all is not well and healthy.

Just one example.

If a band are techinally inept and pretty darn bad then whats the point of giving them false hope?

I disagree with that, when alot of bands start out they're not that good, and a bit of encouragement can go a long way in the early stages. I can't think of many bands who started out as amazing monster super bands, and if nobody supports a fledgling band they'll most likely break up... And that really just leaves people who've been in about 85 other bands and keep making new groups with each other. or something.

It's all to do with ego/jealousy/apathy/bandwagon jumping and so on...

For instance' date=' why did Allysa's Wish(sp?) suddenly become Aberdeen's worst/most hated band(whatever it was) at last years Fudge Awards? I know those awards aren't meant to be taken too seriously, but it's a sign that all is not well and healthy.

Just one example.[/quote']

I honestly thought that was a fucking disgrace and really highlighted the fickle and petty nature of a lot of the scene.

Unlikely.

If people actually cared, then Dr Drakes would have had no need for closure.

The "scene" basically started from punk/diy/rnr gigs at the old Drakes, and has somehow become this big thing that everyone with an opinion on music wants to be seen to be a part of. It's got to be a kind of cool-by-association thing, which is tragic. It used to be that people went to Drakes gigs because there was no alternative to it. You could be a rocker and be happily seen drinking and having a good time at a ska gig. These days people will either stay home, or trot along to whatever gig they think most people will be at so they can hang out and be "cool", and so all the other folks will see them there and think they're cool and part of local music.

I think back to the many individuals who chipped in their free time and skills to create Dr Drakes from a run-down, skanky ex gay bar.... I can't think of any other people locally who are willing to dedicate their free time and effort like that. Most other people are happy to just be on the receiving end and not put much more than their own appearence at some gigs back into the "scene".

Maybe the whole thing has to implode before it can re-invent itself again.

The only thing i have to say on the matter, is that i don't see the point in someone making a post such as <insert band name here> are crap, i don't like them..

that's not even constructive criticism, there's no need to say it..even if people can't be bothered to support the local bands, they definately shouldn't slag them off.

These days people will either stay home, or trot along to whatever gig they think most people will be at so they can hang out and be "cool", and so all the other folks will see them there and think they're cool and part of local music.

Spot on. No point trying to look cool, just makes you look like a prat. And no, that's not from experience...... ;)

To be honest in comparison to last year things have picked up a great deal. Last year was a shithole for Aberdeen bands-gig attendances were low atmospheres were shti and what not.

I feel there is a lot of people who wont get off their lazy arse and go to gigs just because they might get slagged for seeing a local band which i find slightly pathetic.

I do reckon though things have started to pick up and thats what we need to build on.

Ross is right- bands need to support each other. its the only way to go in a scene like Aberdeen. Promoting of gigs is the only key to getting people to come.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Do people actually just go to gigs to be seen on the scene?

Umm, I like to make music and attend gig's that sound interesting to me.

I dislike a lot of these rnr/punk type bands that appeared at Dr Drakes, Kef etc, so it would be a bit silly for me to pay to go just for the sake of it dont you agree?

Please... can people pull their heads from their respective arse holes and start working together as its starting to become a joke.

Years ago the scene was all bolstered by bands working to help each other out in any way shape or form.

SO WHAT if you don't like a bands music..... rather than critisise it why not embrace the positive things that people do.

The demise of Dr Drakes is a tragedy and one that will hopefully make people realise that most of Aberdeen doesn`t give a flying fuck about it`s local bands or even bands in general unless they can sell out The Music Hall or the AECC.

Anyone ever wondered why NO ABERDEEN BAND in the last 15 years has signed to a major. (Assumes that Driveblind havn`t inked a deal yet)

I've been saying this for about the last six months, on these boards in fact. I'm fed up with the backbiting/backstabbing that goes on in this city, especially on here.

I myself am willing to attend gigs by most bands in the aberdeen scene that produce the sort of music that i like, in fairness i believe most bands deserve one listen at least.

There are certain people on here that just can't seem to create a positive thing to say about any bands and love to try and make themselves look 'cool' by posting useless slaggings and rants about bands that they don't like. Gone are the days of just saying that you don't like a band on here, u have to back that up with something disparaging against a band member. It sickens me that some people resort to personal attacks on bands/members, its just childish.

I wish Neil would cut his losses and just chuck these boards 'cause they're fucking ridiculous now, it used to be about the music. Fuck knows wot its about now- one-upmanship, personal vendettas etc. Who knows?

Leave the forums to bands themselves so at least real 'fans'/ friends can talk about useful things and not create so much ill will.

I think a lot of people should take a long hard look at why they post on here- is it for the sake of music, or just to take the piss out of people. If its the latter, fuck off 'cause the rest of us don't want you on here- some of us actually like to talk about music.

:down:

Do people actually just go to gigs to be seen on the scene?

Umm' date=' I like to make music and attend gig's that sound interesting to me.

I dislike a lot of these rnr/punk type bands that appeared at Dr Drakes, Kef etc, so it would be a bit silly for me to pay to go just for the sake of it dont you agree?[/quote']

Yeh at least you have bothered to see these bands which is fair enough :cheers:

Unlikely.

If people actually cared' date=' then Dr Drakes would have had no need for closure.

The "scene" basically started from punk/diy/rnr gigs at the old Drakes, and has somehow become this big thing that everyone with an opinion on music wants to be [b']seen to be a part of. It's got to be a kind of cool-by-association thing, which is tragic. It used to be that people went to Drakes gigs because there was no alternative to it. You could be a rocker and be happily seen drinking and having a good time at a ska gig. These days people will either stay home, or trot along to whatever gig they think most people will be at so they can hang out and be "cool", and so all the other folks will see them there and think they're cool and part of local music.

I think back to the many individuals who chipped in their free time and skills to create Dr Drakes from a run-down, skanky ex gay bar.... I can't think of any other people locally who are willing to dedicate their free time and effort like that. Most other people are happy to just be on the receiving end and not put much more than their own appearence at some gigs back into the "scene".

Maybe the whole thing has to implode before it can re-invent itself again.

good post mr karloff.

Okay, i'm going to look at this from a purely commercial point of view.

Surely the reason Drakes closed is because there are other alternatives in Aberdeen which people simply like going to more, i.e. the Bassment, the Moorings, Kef, the 101 other pubs and bars that have opened in Aberdeen in the past 2 years. I know that the place has a great history and was run by seriously great people, that's not in question.

If any business closes it's because they're not offering what their potential customers want. It's no good ranting on here about how the 'scene' and the 'kids' should change to keep the venues alive. That's not how a business works. You need to change your business to suit what the customers now want. And if that's not listening to shit local bands then so be it. I really liked Drakes, so i'm not having a go - just a different perspective.

As for the idea of supporting any band just because they're from Aberdeen - why? You like what you like because of what it sounds like, not where it's from. I admire the bands from Aberdeen who give their band a serious go, Psycho-a-go-go for example, but it doesn't mean I want to go to their gigs/buy their cd's etc.

I've been saying this for about the last six months' date=' on these boards in fact. I'm fed up with the backbiting/backstabbing that goes on in this city, especially on here.

I myself am willing to attend gigs by most bands in the aberdeen scene that produce the sort of music that i like, in fairness i believe most bands deserve one listen at least.

There are certain people on here that just can't seem to create a positive thing to say about any bands and love to try and make themselves look 'cool' by posting useless slaggings and rants about bands that they don't like. Gone are the days of just saying that you don't like a band on here, u have to back that up with something disparaging against a band member. It sickens me that some people resort to personal attacks on bands/members, its just childish.

I wish Neil would cut his losses and just chuck these boards 'cause they're fucking ridiculous now, it used to be about the music. Fuck knows wot its about now- one-upmanship, personal vendettas etc. Who knows?

Leave the forums to bands themselves so at least real 'fans'/ friends can talk about useful things and not create so much ill will.

I think a lot of people should take a long hard look at why they post on here- is it for the sake of music, or just to take the piss out of people. If its the latter, fuck off 'cause the rest of us don't want you on here- some of us actually like to talk about music.

:down:[/quote']

its a fecking messageboard man. people can say whatever they like. there is a forum to talk about music.There are also many other forums to talk about other things. maybe there should be a "temper tantrum" forum.you could be mod.

its all light hearted fun. scrap the forums? to much good work have went into these forums. that would be the real travesty. would you be at half the gigs you claim if it wasnt for these forums? i think not.

and its only healthy to have a good bitch and argument.

Guest Zeenat Aman

There is lots of other music events happening which are a part of and just as vital to Aberdeen's music scene, Jungle Nation, the folk club thing in Castlegate, music/art stuff at the students union/peacocks art and there's even a rap thing at snafu on the 27th etc...

Shall we be seeing Mr Karloff at any of these events?

Drakes was just a part(an important one I agree) of music in aberdeen, not the be all and end all.