aberdeen-music

Scene Points!

Neil

Okay, so I read a couple of posts where people joked about gaining "scene points" and I thought it might be quite amusing to activate and modify vBulletin's user reputation feature so people could really accumulate "scene points". So last night I did. :)

Now please can you all remember this feature is not meant to be taken seriously! The scene points are worthless and have no value or significance. If you don't want to be included in this scene point system then simply go to your control panel and select the option to hide your scene points. Participation is entirely optional.

So how does it work? Well, if you register on this web site then you automatically get 10 scene points. Other register members can then give you additional points as they please by clicking on the "Add scene points to..." button on any of your posts. I'd like to think most people will do this because the post you have made is a valuable contribution to the forums rather than because you're their mate or something. But time will tell

As well as giving you scene points members can also leave comments as well if they wish. It is all anonymous so please don't abuse this feature to slag people off. The comments you leave might be anonymous to other members but they aren't to me. So don't be silly. :nono:

The theory is that those members that contribute the most value to the forums (through their own threads, posts, replies) should gain the most scene points. However, like most things in life, it may just turn into a giant popularity contest. If this does happen, and it does just get out of hand, then I'll simply switch the feature thing off again. So please give some consideration to who you give scene points out to and why.

There is a lot more to this system "behind the scenes" that I'm not going to go into just now. These is a whole "scene power" element to it that I haven't mentioned. Scene Power being how many points you, as a member, can give to other members. It isn't simply one scene point you can give to other members the number of points you can give varies depending on a number of factors such as how long you have been a member, the number of posts you have made, the number of scene points you yourself have etc etc. It's actually cleverer than it looks.

Anyway, have fun with it and please don't get too worked up about it. Remember, everyone knows the elite members on this web site are those who are Supporters and Sponsors not those with the most scene points. :p

On the wasteland?

It's never happened I'm afraid.

Isn't that a matter of perspective? What might not be relative and important to you could mean the world to another person.

Anyway, I seem to recall you posting sly plugs for Point/Stayover gigs in the Wasteland..are you saying that they aren't important and valid?

Guest Composed
Isn't that a matter of perspective? What might not be relative and important to you could mean the world to another person.

Anyway' date=' I seem to recall you posting sly plugs for Point/Stayover gigs in the Wasteland..are you saying that they aren't important and valid?[/quote']

another brick flung your way 3298px11.1077947987.jpg

Anyway' date=' I seem to recall you posting sly plugs for Point/Stayover gigs in the Wasteland..are you saying that they aren't important and valid?[/quote']

yes because they were in the wasteland and not in all music discussion like they should of been so therefore became useless invalid. :D:D:D

Weird. I must have got it wrong. Maybe it is 100 points when you get another green box. :p

100?!?!?!?!!?!? i'll never ever ever ever ever get that many ;(;(;(

meh, well that's that dream crushed:(

undergroundscene.co.uk allows supporters to see who gave/removed scene points from them whether they put their name in the comments bit or not - might be another way to get a couple more supporters on board Neil?

I think that's a bit too much, it's like valentines fun just now. Trying to figure out who gave and removed points is part of the fun and i'd rather have people saying 'here's a point' now and again as opposed 'blah-de-blah gave me minus points, everyone give him minus points'..

I'm taking away 1 point from you, just because. :p

Yeah, but I was breaking the rules when I did that.

What would be good is a penalty for giving a negative point. While I agree with the ability to award negative points I also feel it encourages negativity... and negativity is becoming too prevalent around here.

My suggestion would be a karma meter on the profile. This would display a net balance of all the positive and negative scene points the member has dished out. This would hopefully encourage people to be more postive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neil ex
What would be good is a penalty for giving a negative point. While I agree with the ability to award negative points I also feel it encourages negativity... and negativity is becoming too prevalent around here.

My suggestion would be a karma meter on the profile. This would display a net balance of all the positive and negative scene points the member has dished out. This would hopefully encourage people to be more postive.

Haha.. Someone gave me a negative scene point yesterday, and it's been bothering me all day, I just can't figure out who it was.. I'm really upset.. The message was 'I think you're taking these scene points a bit too seriously'..

I've sent two pretending to be Stuart Maxwell.. SORRY!

I've got a few 'nasty' 'anonymous PMs'..

Haha.. Someone gave me a negative scene point yesterday' date=' and it's been bothering me all day, I just can't figure out who it was.. I'm really upset.. The message was 'I think you're taking these scene points a bit too seriously'..

I've sent two pretending to be Stuart Maxwell.. SORRY!

I've got a few 'nasty' 'anonymous PMs'..[/quote']

teehee! i got a negative rating for my 'close every thread ranting'... er... i see...

boo hoo

:D

OH WOW! That post cost me 2 anonymous scene points.