aberdeen-music

will a northwood p4 run in a prescott ready motherboard?

Guest lime ruined my life

1. will my 2.66 ghz northwood run in a motherboard ready for an ht prescott?

2. can i put ddr333 and a ddr233 memory in at the same time? (mobo supports 400 dual channel)

thanks.

and I gave you one as a thankyou.

I do believe I met you in bassment last friday (so scenie) you're chummy chums with Rach, yes? (so scenie)

Lime hates being a scenie... he's so scenie... ooooooh.

I have a new favourite word. Yay.

1. will my 2.66 ghz northwood run in a motherboard ready for an ht prescott?

2. can i put ddr333 and a ddr233 memory in at the same time? (mobo supports 400 dual channel)

thanks.

I don't know the answer to these questions. However, if I were to go by my own experiences then mixing RAM capable of different speeds on the same motherboard at the same time is just asking for trouble. It might appear to work at first but don't be surprised if your computer then starts randomly crashing.

As for the CPU question, I would just plug it in and give it a go. If you know your motherboard's make and model (it's usually printed on the motherboard itself) then look it up on the web and see if states what CPUs it can handle. Generally speaking if a motherboard cant support a specific CPU then the CPU itself just wont fit on it (if it has a different number of pins for example) and if it does fit and motherboard doesnt it like it then it just wont boot up.

I don't know the answer to these questions. However' date=' if I were to go by my own experiences then mixing RAM capable of different speeds on the same motherboard at the same time is just asking for trouble. It might appear to work at first but don't be surprised if your computer then starts randomly crashing.

As for the CPU question, I would just plug it in and give it a go. If you know your motherboard's make and model (it's usually printed on the motherboard itself) then look it up on the web and see if states what CPUs it can handle. Generally speaking if a motherboard cant support a specific CPU then the CPU itself just wont fit on it (if it has a different number of pins for example) and if it does fit and motherboard doesnt it like it then it just wont boot up.[/quote']

prescotts and northwood are both socket 478, its just my northwood dont got ht technology, i think itl work, il give it a go. the motherboard just says "prescott and ht ready".

i dont think il mix the ram speeds though, i dont want to risk an unstable system. cheers.

one more question, the motherboard should know what fsb to set wont it? my cpu needs 533, i just dont want to plug it in and get it fried by an 800 fsb, the mobo spec says "800/533/400".

one more question' date=' the motherboard should know what fsb to set wont it? my cpu needs 533, i just dont want to plug it in and get it fried by an 800 fsb, the mobo spec says "800/533/400".[/quote']

Yep, as long as you have left all the FSB and CPU settings to automatically detected values in the BIOS (the default setting) then the BIOS should be clever enough to detect what the CPU is and adjust it's settings as appropriate. Basically as long as you haven't messed with your BIOS settings then you should be fine.

i don't think bioses usually boot without one of each of the following

1. cpu

2. ram

3. memory card

not in my experience anyway.

and i can testify to the "don't mix ram speeds" theory. it depends on the motherboard you stick em in. i had two differently rated sticks in an old intel BX motherboard, and they played fine together. but, when i chucked them into a VIA epia 5000 board, the system booted, but crashed with intensive cpu/ram use. took me ages to work out what the problem was!

thats what i thought' date=' you dont need to "boot", just turn it on, and you can get to bios.

yes.

thanks.[/quote']

that's what i meant in my post; when i said 'boot' i meant like a power on self test, i.e. without one of each of

1. cpu

2. ram

3. video card

nothing will appear on screen, i.e. you won't see AWARD BIOS, PHOENIX BIOS, etc. etc. and you won't be able to press 'DEL' to get into BIOS setup and change things.

YMMV though.