aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Arthur Miller RIP

The American plawright Arthur Miller, one time husband of Marilyn Monroe and writer of "Death Of A Salesman" and "The Crucible", among dozens of other highly acclaimed works, has died aged 89. He was suffering from pretty much every disease under the sun, including cancer, pnieumonia and heart disease.

Anyone who had to plow through "Death Of a Salesman" for Higher English may not feel too bad about it, but, in my opinion, he was up there with GB Shaw and Tennessee Williams. A sad day.

Kind of annoyed how the News made it out that the most significant thing about him was that he had a "stormy 5-year marriage to movie icon Marilyn Monroe".

Surely his immense contribution to literature was more noteworthy?

Christ, I saw this earlier and didn't bother to read it as I didn't recognise the name..but Death Of A Salesman was a brilliant, brilliant piece of work. There was some performance of it at HMT at Hilton a few months ago, I was gutted that I missed it :(

Kind of annoyed how the News made it out that the most significant thing about him was that he had a "stormy 5-year marriage to movie icon Marilyn Monroe".

Surely his immense contribution to literature was more noteworthy?

I know! I didn't click who he was for quite a while as they kept mentioning that he was married to Marilyn Monroe all the time and I know little about her really so I just kinda ignored it...

Just when we are currently studying 'death of a salesman' in Higher English. Fantastic piece of work. I didn't know he was so ill, but at the age of 89, his life was waiting to end anyway.

Quite sad that

Another good'un gone. It's almost the end of an era unfortunately due to the way culture has gone, there are very few world famous iconic playwrites left and when the few we have left are gone... no more...

I remember co-directing The Crucible in my first year at uni.

A magnificent play, and a magnificent playwright.

There is no genius anymore, only Celebrity Big Brother contestants...

Shame, a good writer. Anyone see the film version of Death of a Salesman with John Malkovich with hair! And Dustin Hoffman

I got to do The Crucible in English and it was fkin awesome. I also made a rockin John Proctor when I helped some girls with their Higher Drama presentation thing (not enuff guys in the class... enter handsome man stage left :D)

RIP you old Commie (SATIRE)

Shame' date=' a good writer. Anyone see the film version of Death of a Salesman with John Malkovich with hair! And Dustin Hoffman[/quote']

yeah i did

i first saw it live on stage, in a very empty his majesy's theatre

then saw the film

both were good, on stage is better i think, because you then see it how it was meant to be seen, with all the see through houses an all that...but dustin hoffman played mr lowman very well, i nearly wanted to cry!

The jungle is dark, but full of diamonds

yeah i did

i first saw it live on stage' date=' in a very empty his majesy's theatre

then saw the film

both were good, on stage is better i think, because you then see it how it was meant to be seen, with all the see through houses an all that...but dustin hoffman played mr lowman very well, i nearly wanted to cry!

The jungle is dark, but full of diamonds[/quote']

When we did it for higher english a few years back i liked reading it in class but thought the film and the stage production at HMT were both pretty shoddy. They overacted i thought. Anyway. RIP.