aberdeen-music

THIS WEEKEND - Bleeding Through & Cult Of Luna

Ross

I wasn't saying "Who else could play?" in a MMw-are-the-only-ones-good-enough way. I was actually trying to find out who people think are good/professional enough to do so.

Filthpact - I haven't seen you since the VoA days I'm afraid but I'm not disputing that you guys could've played.

Broken Oath - amazing. They would have been awesome on this line up.

Fall of Boss Koala, I'd agree would have been good too.

But those two bands and other's mentioned are from outwith Aberdeen. It does make sense for Moshulu to want to help out Aberdeen bands on these sort of bills in the same way I'd imagine Allergo get the good Perth slots and Broken Oath etc get the good Glasgow/Edinburgh slots.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Few things:

Thanks to Aberdeen and the people who were there from Bleeding Through and Cult Of Luna. I`d expect both to return. There were assuming that Aberdeen was a backward almost Redneck town in Scotland and were pleasantly surprised.

In terms of the whole support "issue." To clarify i have not seen Filthpact. Currently MMW are the most organised, professional and slickest band in Aberdeen that I have seen. They have good stage presance and work the crowd. They go on at their allotted time and come off at their allotted time, they work hard and promote their gigs and shift tickets to friends and also fans thus bolstering income. They have a great backline also which helps and they look like a professional outfit. They could be playing the birdie song for all I care but their music is at least above averge and competantly played. Other bands could do a lot worse than look at MMW are try to emmulate them or even outdo them in the music field (insert joke here) of music that any band plays.

Last night's figures:

Paying - 196

Guests 17

Total - 213

Profit and Loss = -154.49

This does not include wear and tear on the PA and lights nor my time.

Moshulu is a big venue attacting slightly "different" bands and thus needs the support of local bands and patriots otherwise it won't be around in 10 years time or whatever.

And before anyone says "different?"... please note that the only things that sell well in Aberdeen are:

Charlatans

Ocean Colour Scene

Steriophonics

Stone Roses Tribute Band

As a final note.... i`ll come along to the next Filthpact gig. Dave Rowlands works really hard I know.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

fair enough. but i think the 'if you don't ask you don't get' approach isn't very sensible if you are a struggling local promoter.

moshulu ain't a stadium, you could get away with putting on some inexperienced bands just like kef or drakes would do. i think Moshulu at the moment is doing quite well for itself but just seems to put on the same gigs over and over again with the same support bands.

you're on aberdeen music, why not make some ads to encourage bands to send in demos? even if you haven't heard them live, what's the risk in putting them on at the start of a bill if they sound good enough on a recording?

Well I would say more but ross seems to have covered bout everything i woulda said.

Hats should come off to Ross. nearly 200 through door and still lost money. anyone whoever tries to claim this man is in it for anything other than his love for music need think again.

Great gig all round

allergo - seen em play betta but still good stuff

mmw - hero like performance. nuff said

cult of luna - stunning. band of night for me

bleeding through - more brutal than i thought would be. bloody good show. make an awful racket for such small guys

xx

Oh.. Johnny Truant requested Allergo to be on the bill.

Bleeding through enjoyed both Allergo and MMW in sdaying that they are to pretty slick operators. Mainly MMW I guess but still. Positive feedback.

If i could guarantee 200 people for every "hardcore" / Metalcore / Metal etc gig then I`d put loads of different and obscure bands on as support. Sadly this didn't work in Drakes with some of the great hxc bands that they put on there so it certainly won't in Moshulu.

Because people didn't support Drakes and what they were doing (using local bands to pull in punters and revenue to aid touring bands) then it is no longer.

It would appear that all local band bills is the only way for a promotor to actually make any money on a gig and get a 100% positive feedback on the show........

yeah filthpact kicked ass on friday.

great band' date=' great songs, great show.

also, they have toured europe. not many abdn bands can say that.[/quote']

No they can't. Much respect.

But as far as I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, they toured on a very much DIY/punk/hxc circuit which isn't really 'open doors' for the rest of us.

As Ross said, at least with MMW you know none of the following will happen :

'who's that guy on stage with the band'? - 'oh thats the guitarists mate, he can't tune his own guitar'

OR

'why is your backline making a funny crackling and buzzing sound'? - *shrug* 'dunno, been doing that for a few weeks now'

OR

'excuse me Ross, do you have a spare *choose from a selection - string, plectrum, battery, AMP*

which are all examples of actual things that he has been told at gigs, although we aren't naming any names for obvious reasons.....You know who you are.

Guest stuartmaxwell
No they can't. Much respect.

But as far as I understand it' date=' and correct me if I'm wrong, they toured on a very much DIY/punk/hxc circuit which isn't really 'open doors' for the rest of us.[/quote']

yes and no.

:p

Also....

Sugarcult....... Now correct me if i`m wrong but they are "fairly" middle of the road punk rock/pop punk/punk. AND 2 weeks after Aberdeen they were supporting Green Day....who.... of course....are the biggest band in the world at the momment.

The Figures:

Sales 351

Free Entry 11

Total Number in 362

Total Profit & Loss = -1380.90

Basically Aberdeen is a small fishing villiage that got lucky. In theory if you want to see diverse out kind of obscure stuff move to Glasgow.

Else just live in hope that one day someone will take a risk on something that isn`t the norm.

But as far as I understand it' date=' and correct me if I'm wrong, they toured on a very much DIY/punk/hxc circuit which isn't really 'open doors' for the rest of us.[/quote']

I don't think this is the case, actually. Dave Rowlands works very hard behind the scenes in terms of getting gig slots and recording space for his band. I think he likely put supreme efforts into organising their participation in the gigs abroad they did, making it work and do-able, and I don't think a "circuit" like you imagine exists. It's certainly not a case of get on the bus at point A and depart 15 gigs later at point B with no problems! This is not to get at your point either, Bob. It's logical enough to assume there would be some touring circuit within the punk/crust community, but I don't think there is really. I think a few of the shows were in squats and of the DIY variety, but I think that says more about the un-willingness of other musical style followers to go to the same lengths to put bands on than it does about the merits of a band like Filthpact playing around Europe. I think people have similar mis-conceptions about how/why we did our tour in the big old tourbus. I suspect most people go "Ash Karloff's brother played in the touring band, so that's why Karloff went on the tour". The fact is, the family association combined with the reputation we have in the London psychobilly/punk scene from a gig we did down there a couple of years ago got us the invite for the tour. But it was a shitload of work by Ash, me and Captain Tom at Fat Hippy that enabled us to make it work and do it. As little as when we were outside Newcastle on the way to meet the tourbus it almost all fell through! But we made it happen, just like the Filthpact boys did and just like any other band with something good to offer can also.

I

Broken Oath - amazing. They would have been awesome on this line up.

Fall of Boss Koala' date=' I'd agree would have been good too.

[/quote']

Both are out of town and won't pull that many people.

I`ve put on TFOBK before.

Also the BT + COL gig was a rescheduled date remember.

*Not a lot of people remembered this.

Who makes up the ticket prices for these gigs? I'm puzzled at how you could make a loss at gigs with so many people attending.Hat off to you Ross for doing this at a loss.

Out of interest...what were the figures for Biffy?

Ticket prices are usually made by Agents. It costs a lot of money to put on a gig in a proper venue.

Biffy was not our gig and thus I am not at liberty to discuss the event.

Biffy was promoted by "Fuse"

Also with regards to the Hardcore lot having a go at the Metal lot....

This was a hardcore gig that was attended by a lot of solely metal fans who probably hadn`t been to a hardcore gig before.

Be thankful that people from both camps are listening to things from othersub divisions of the rock genre.

Was great to see some people actually busting some moves in Aberdeen. anyways i`m off to pickup change and practice my windmills........or maybe make more coffee......having spent the morning in the hospital and various medical centres with the COL sound engineer. COL went to the beautiful mountain......and then Fopp.... which is the stuff of legends apparently. Both BT and COL said that they were looking forward to Glasgow solely to go to FOPP.

Basically Aberdeen is a small fishing villiage that got lucky. In theory if you want to see diverse out kind of obscure stuff move to Glasgow.

Else just live in hope that one day someone will take a risk on something that isn`t the norm.

I think what most people don't realise is that their favourite big venue who puts on all their favourite big bands tends to be heavily subsidised by breweries. They don't mind making a big loss on their overall figures, because they can usually rake it all back and then some through alcohol sales on the night. Sadly, independant venues have no such backing...

I think a few of the mini-tours have been helped along by bands that've played for Black Box as well - the recent Finland tour was sort of a result of the Hero Dishonest gig at Drakes? Was it? Am I waffling rubbiss?

Likely, but is that concept something that other genres of bands are un-capable of doing? Gig swaps, basically?!

Also....

Sugarcult....... Now correct me if i`m wrong but they are "fairly" middle of the road punk rock/pop punk/punk. AND 2 weeks after Aberdeen they were supporting Green Day....who.... of course....are the biggest band in the world at the momment.

The Figures:

Sales 351

Free Entry 11

Total Number in 362

Total Profit & Loss = -1380.90

Sorry if this seems nosey but if your making such large losses holding gigs what is the point in doing it? Will the company not eventually go bust by doing this? I think its great what you've done at Moshulu, i notice Pink Grease are touring again :up: Although saying that its probably not worth getting them back after the turn out last time!!

I think he likely put supreme efforts into organising their participation in the gigs abroad they did' date=' making it work and do-able, and I don't think a "circuit" like you imagine exists. It's certainly not a case of get on the bus at point A and depart 15 gigs later at point B with no problems![/quote']

Haha! I certainly don't imagine they did. Perhaps I do imagine a "circuit" that doesn't exist, but that's often the kind of impression I get when I hear talk about punk/DIY.

I think that says more about the un-willingness of other musical style followers to go to the same lengths to put bands on than it does about the merits of a band like Filthpact playing around Europe.

<---------------------------From a previous thread------------------------->

The more alternative you are' date=' the more willing others are to help you out above and beyond the call of duty.[/quote']
I think it's easier to be sucessful and build a reputation if you're more of a "niche" band.

<---------------------------From a previous thread------------------------->

I'm not belittling Filthpact's acheivements' date=' just in case anyone might think that. I'm just expressing an opinion which I've held in the past and which you have added to and molded. If you play a more alternative style there seems to be more of a "dialogue" involved and people who actually want to help you just because you're into the same scene.

Likely, but is that concept something that other genres of bands are un-capable of doing? Gig swaps, basically?!

It's about attitude.