aberdeen-music

Subcurrent

chilli

I am amazed that apart from prof_lofi there has been little or no communication about this event:-

SUBCURRENT, GLASGOW CCA, 21-23 April

Acts confirmed for this now annual underground/outsider music beanfeast co-curated by The Wire's David Keenan and sponsored by the magazine, include Tony Conrad, Wolf Eyes, Double Leopards, Fursaxa, Cul De Sac, Decaer Pinga Vs Smack Music 7, Es, Kemialliset Ystvt, Kiila, Family Underground, Hototogisu, Virgin Eye Blood Brothers and Avarus.

What an amazing line-up, makes Slint's ATP look very ordinary.

Follow the boy Keenan (who will be appearing in Aberdeen during March, details to follow very soon, unless you have an interesting music newsletter)

Double Leopards, Fursaxa and Cul de Sac are all favourites of mine, but I'm a lazy bugger, so probably won't make the effort. I'd like to see Tony Conrad and Kemialliset Ystavat, too.

I swapped some Cul De Sac with Hen (ex Drummonds, now of Tunnels) this very afternoon. They did a tour and CD with Damo Suzuki (you probably know all this alreadt....sorry!!!).

Es is friendly with Black Forest/Black Sea (i've got a copy of the WFMU session they did together.....Fursaxa often plays with them, too).

Double Leopards' date=' Fursaxa and Cul de Sac are all favourites of mine, but I'm a lazy bugger, so probably won't make the effort. I'd like to see Tony Conrad and Kemialliset Ystavat, too.

I swapped some Cul De Sac with Hen (ex Drummonds, now of Tunnels) this very afternoon. They did a tour and CD with Damo Suzuki (you probably know all this alreadt....sorry!!!).

Es is friendly with Black Forest/Black Sea (i've got a copy of the WFMU session they did together.....Fursaxa often plays with them, too).[/quote']

Its okay if you don't go, coz interesting music have two FANTASTIC & widlly differing events lined up for Wed 20th & Sat 23rd April 05

Guest neil ex

I've got a split live CD with Wolf Eyes and Black Dice. I listened to it for the first time when I had the flu, and was trying to get to sleep, and I've never listened to it since!

I'll have to give it a proper listen soon..

i love the way wolf eyes suddenly became cool among hipsters' date=' just like the locust, blood brothers etc etc.dress correctly and regardless of music, they will latch on.each new wave of hipster chic needs a token 'extreme' band to name drop.poor wolf eyes.fucking great band as well.[/quote']

not really poor Wolf Eyes. They're on Sub Pop and were going to be playing Lollapolooza, so I'm sure they were/are well aware that there'd be some "hipster" element involved in their growing fanbase.

not really poor Wolf Eyes. They're on Sub Pop and were going to be playing Lollapolooza' date=' so I'm sure they were/are well aware that there'd be some "hipster" element involved in their growing fanbase.[/quote']

absolutely, but is still think with the racket they make they would prefer people to love/loathe them for the music, and not the kudos listening to them provides over the enjoyment/displeasure from the music.this may or may not make any sense.

i wouldn't buy a wolf eyes record, but i've seen them live and they are worth seeing just for the spectacle of their performance

that and john olson's hideous/awesome shirts

i saw double leopards once too, their set wasn't very long but the drone they created was very intense

i have that kemialliset ystvt album on my computer but haven't heard it yet, what's he(?) like?

also, isn't cul de sac jim o'rourke's old band?

i have that kemialliset ystvt album on my computer but haven't heard it yet' date=' what's he(?) like?

also, isn't cul de sac jim o'rourke's old band?[/quote']

I've only got kemialliset ystavat on compilations (eg 'Hand Eye'), but it's a collective, apparently, and the bits I've heard aren't too far removed from Tower Recordings.

Cul De Sac is Glenn Jones' band, I think. He toured over here recently with Jack Rose, who I really like, but again laziness stopped me from seeing them!