aberdeen-music

Inspired drumming...

Rob Karloff

I'm listening to early years Soundgarden at the moment, and I'm thinking about what a great drum sound their releases always had, and in particular the talent of Matt Cameron on the skins. He's probably the only drummer who I listen to and really makes me want to try and learn to play. You can hear every little and subtle touch he uses on the records, and some of his rhythms and techniques sound amazing to me. He's not blindingly fast like some drummers, but he's so solid and and the technicality behind what he's playing comes through. The mental and sonic picture I have of him is a lot like that of local tub-thumper Len Atom... :up:

Any opinions on Mr Cameron? Any other drummers who do this for you??

Yeah, hes an ace Drummer. I listened to my "Black hole sun" single with a couple of live songs on it. True hes not fast but he has an unusual style which fitted perfectly well with Soundgardens em..sound.

What drummer does it for me, Mr Gene Hoglan. Although he plays lots of very fast stuff he also deals with complicated jazzesque patterns.

Guest Zeenat Aman

I used to favour the precise, but very creative and interesting drumming of Michael Giles( King Crimson circa 1969)...

Now I'm more open to the playing of Robert Wyatt(when he was able). He was scrappy, but I love the naiveity(sp?) and sheer joy of playing that comes through on record. Manic jazz-esque drumming that to my ears never gets boring.

On a more local thang, the drumming of Dave Innes(guy that used to play with Bug & Friends) always amazes me.

I'm listening to early years Soundgarden at the moment' date=' and I'm thinking about what a great drum sound their releases always had, and in particular the talent of Matt Cameron on the skins. He's probably the only drummer who I listen to and really makes me want to try and learn to play. You can hear every little and subtle touch he uses on the records, and some of his rhythms and techniques sound amazing to me. He's not blindingly fast like some drummers, but he's so solid and and the technicality behind what he's playing comes through. The mental and sonic picture I have of him is a lot like that of local tub-thumper Len Atom... :up:

Any opinions on Mr Cameron? Any other drummers who do this for you??[/quote']

Matt C is a jazz drummer by upbringing....and he brings a lot of that loose, fluid feel to his rock stuff. Superunknown and Badmotorfinger have got some of the best rock drumming around. Fantastic stuff! Not much in the way of blazing fills, but the feel is just perfect and it's verrry difficult to play his stuff note for note.

Other albums that "do it" for me, and there are just loads:

Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales (Vinnie Colaiuta)

Tower of Power - Back to Oakland (David Garibaldi)

Pumpkins - Mellon Collie...(Jimmy Chamberlin)

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced (Mitch Mitchell)

Led Zep - IV (John Bonham)

The Meters - Looka-Py-Py (Zigaboo Modeliste)

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (Vinnie Paul)

Slayer - Divine Intervention (Paul Bostaph)

Pearl Jam - Ten (Dave Krusen)

Paul Weller - Wild Wood (Steve White)

Miles Davis - Milestones (Philly Joe Jones)

Nirvana - Incesticide (Dave Grohl)

Vanessa Carlton - Be Not Nobody (Abe Laboriel Jr)

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage (Vinnie Colaiuta)

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese (Tim Alexander)

Brand New Heavies - Brother Sister (Jan Kincaid)

Police - Synchronicity (Stewart Copeland)

Could go on forever....but that would be stupid.....

Philly Joe Jones who played on a lot of Blue Note Recordings circa late 50s early 60s...

Also the LEGEND that is Stewart Copland from The Police. Reggata De Blanc from the album of the same name... Super.

Also Art Blakey....... AMAZING........ Wynton Marsalis' drummer was outstanding when I saw him a few years back.

Thank fuck!

summit we agree on.....deeeecent :D

only 2 drummers do it for me

danny carey - tool. amazing. mesmerising. jsut all round drum god

josh freese - vandals/apc/good charlotte/offspring/guns n roses....whoever else this whore has played for in the past :p .... can do bit of everything. great great tub thumper

I'll prob have alot of drummers go against me here but Lars Ulrich. I don't care if he can't play as quickly or as well as other metal drummers he is awesom. Totally fat beats and he just knows how to build parts so well. One of the only drummers that really gets me going when I am listening to him. The Outlaw Torn S&M version is amazing. So solid and just KICKING! Great use of china as well during the solo...awww I have to go listen to it right now!

I'll prob have alot of drummers go against me here but Lars Ulrich. I don't care if he can't play as quickly or as well as other metal drummers he is awesom. Totally fat beats and he just knows how to build parts so well. One of the only drummers that really gets me going when I am listening to him. The Outlaw Torn S&M version is amazing. So solid and just KICKING! Great use of china as well during the solo...awww I have to go listen to it right now!

Tav, fucking spot on mate.

He is not the most technically gifted drummer around today, but its absolutely fair comment to say that he is a huge reason for the masses of great metal drummers that are around today. Lars' probably couldnt play half the shit that Vinnie Paul, Paul Bostaph, Igor Cavelera, Joey Jordison could play, but each one of them rates Lars as a drum god, and for one simple reason.....he has written some of the greatest drum tracks in metal music history. The whole of ...and Justice for All is full of utterly brilliant drum tracks and the sixteenth note triplet groove in One is probably the most famous piece of metal drumming ever.

I just wish he's use a decent snare drum these days instead of that tinny piece of shite that he uses on St.Anger.

The drummer in Desc (Lemon Tree last night)' date=' is great!

Alot of the time, good drummers are ones you don't hear when you're listening to the music..[/quote']

Yes the Desc drummer is great, in a very improvised way. Neil from Eric Ewen

impresses greatly.

John Hiseman & Bill Bruford are fantastic technicians

Nan from Schwervon & Pantsuit is the business.

(See her very soon in Aberdeen again).

Me thinks...

The dude from the Killers is a pretty interesting contemporary. Being a tub thumper myself I like guys that make small kits sing.

Few drums + imagination = less wastage

Clem Burke (Blondie) Simply tops!

Sly and Robbie! Okay it's a Rythm section but they are the business in the groove dept!

Kieth LeBlanc (Sugar Hill Gang, Tackhead)

Jimmy Chamberlains right foot!