aberdeen-music

Bass Drum into Floor Tom

Guest RomanChrome

Guest RomanChrome

Is this possible?

I'd like to make a 22" floor tom but I know that such a large sized floor tom is almost impossible to get. Would it be possible to make a Big floor tom from that of a Bass Drum.

I'm thinking that only replacing the skins would be necessary but is there more to it?

I'm guessing that you'd have to hit it a lot harder than a normal tom to get the required volume and tone. tightening the skins up to make it louder would probably just give it a horrible tone. How about getting trigger pads and a sampler so that you can make exactly the sound you want from a drum you already have? It'd probably cost around the same, taking into account the stands you'd have to make/buy for such a large tom.

Originally posted by RomanChrome:

I see I'd have to get replacement skins but is there a decent market for oversized drum skins?

22" isn't really oversized to be honest, it's a standard bass drum size.

But i wouldn't use a 22" bass drum, it'll sound shite whatever skins you get, they're designed for low down frequency and slappyness, not for producing nice tones like toms are, the difference in depth over the bass wooden bearing-edge hoop on a 22" bass drum is huge and of no use for consistent quality. TAMA do gong drums, which have a steel bearing-edge to vibrate when the skin is struck raising the volume considerably and keeping the stick-hitting level to that not so far off of normal toms!

If you wonder what they sound like, check out the song "wicked" by Korn!!