aberdeen-music

Effects pedal circuit diagram thing

Graham

as long as you are happy with MXR style cases and not fancy boss ones they are simple enuogh, you can buy a plain enclosure then all you need to do is dsrill the holes for switches/pots/leds/etc...

id check out www.diystompboxes.com in the forums theres a complete guide to making one fx with everything you need to know to make the effect (a simple distortion one) and they are very helpful with any quesitons you have, no matter how simple and obvious they are

David

Originally posted by lime:

well, what do you mean solder them together?

surely you need the facility of making a pcb?

alternatively, buy some breadboards, no soldering needed.

you wouldn't need to make a PCB though you could if you had the option...breadbaords are also an option though wires do tend to fall out now and again, not the most permanent way of making circuits. As for soldering your going to need to solder connectors on...personally I'd solder the lot together myself through a insulated board as I don't have the facility to make PCB's

oh i see, he's told you how to make one.

the one hes made is pretty shit, if your going to get into this id highly advise finding out a programme where you design your circuits, and then load it into a pcb programme, then you just print it out on acetate, youll need a printer thatl print out acetate though...

it depends on what you are wanting to do, breadboards are good for checking to see if stuff works, but arent good for permanent stuff

you can get protoboard, which is like a pcb but with copper stripes on it, so you solder stuff on it as if it was a pcb, this is probably best if you intend doing a few small circuits, another version ive seen is a board with lots of spots all unconnected, so you can solder componenet onto the board, then connect them up separately with wires, this is probably a bit simpler to work out a wiring diagram for, but involves more soldering

the most proffesional way is to make pcb's this is costly though and would only really be worthwhile if you inted making lots of curcuits

David

Guest operator zero

or just take an engineering course at uni and befriend the tutors and the lab assistants so they could let you use the PCB manufacturing facilities in house!

something that I'm going to be doing myself when i go back to uni!

Originally posted by lime:

the way professionsals do it is use computers to desing the circuit, and print it off on acetate....

the softwares expensive, but id imagine you can kazaa it :/

The pros have done it all already you just need to copy their designs and change values to suit...no challenge there...no need for software! Obviously if you have an electronics background you can do it yourself, simple op-amp understanding will get you a distortion pedal...no need for expensive circuit software...

Originally posted by Tav:

The pros have done it all already you just need to copy their designs and change values to suit...no challenge there...no need for software! Obviously if you have an electronics background you can do it yourself, simple op-amp understanding will get you a distortion pedal...no need for expensive circuit software...

tav tav tav, youv misunderstood me darling.

im talking about taking the circuit design, and making a pcb design, the prgramme helps you design your pcb, and you print it out on acetate, and use it for etching (instead of making a fucking dogs meal out of it using felt pens...). unfortunately i forget the name of the programme i used in the lab.

happy circuit building.

poor old tav, you misunderstand me again.

im refering to the web page links at the beginning of this thread, the guy in it tells you how to make a pcb, and they are shite, and technically, they are sdcb (shittly drawn circuit boards) not pcb's. i assumed normal people woudlnt be using pcbs, as i said earlier, itd be easier to use a breadboard, or some other early stage circuit design aid.