aberdeen-music

Gaining a reputation?

liamtw

Guest stuartmaxwell
and never play a gig' date=' or even form a band...........[/quote']

i think you will find we are a band

unlike yourself we write new, interesting and creative music, we have something meaningful to say other than "i missed you last night" and the like

fair dos it does take a while for us to get our shit together with me being in glasgow and the like. you will see us in the summer at GAVFEST

Guest Mr Blastcap

hmm backpack essential!

to be honest i've found it helpfull to turnup with a back pack full of leads, especially when the band you are supporting cant even bother themselves to bring thier own. ( mind you thats only happened six or seven times.)

Even Karloff got themselves around' date=' and in a tour bus no less! I'm sure they can tell you all sorts of things I don't claim to know about. There's also Aly Gray who worked with The Score and put them all over the blumin' country.

Again however, this is gonna come down to who you want to reach, The Score were a more mainstream indie-type band, Jonny worked with a niche' Rockabilly act called Pyscho A-Go-Go, and Karloff are a horror punk band.

In general, the more mainstream you are, the bigger the audiences you can get and perhaps the easier it is to get dates. (Don't hold me to that) The more alternative you are, the more willing others are to help you out above and beyond the call of duty.[/quote']

Yeah, we do pretty good. It's largely by reputation though, and having the releases on Fat Hippy has been a big part of that. Those CDs from that much berated local effort label get further afield than most naysayers would believe, and from that comes gig bookings. We have a reputation for putting on a good show, and being good at it, and that translates into interest from promoters both near and far away. I actually disagree a little with what you say here, in that I think it's easier to be sucessful and build a reputation if you're more of a "niche" band. People will come out and see a horror punk band like ourselves even if they know nothing about us, because it's quite a rare thing these days. If you're in a heavy metal or pop-punk band then I think people are less likely to be curious or have the motivation because they can see those kind of acts pretty much anytime. Even being a shithot band in these cases is not good enough, it's a problem of saturation really. You have to be able to offer people more than just some songs performed well if you want them to turn out in a town where they've never heard of you before.

Hmmm' date=' I'd rather a band just concentrated on their music rather than messing about putting on a show, using props and all that stuff. It stops being about music when all that comes in to play, and becomes more of a circus act... If it's of any worth, the music will be sufficient enough to engage an audience.[/quote']

So why bother going out to see a gig then? Why not just stay home and listen to the CD? Each to their own, but I find that the show is important... A Who fan would feel cheated if they went to a Who gig and Pete T didn't pull off his trademark guitar windmill. Likewise, a Kiss fan would feel let down if they went to the gig and found Kiss playing in jeans and a t-shirt with no make-up on. It's not just about the music, even Elvis and Buddy Holly proved that.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Yeah' date=' we do pretty good. It's largely by reputation though, and having the releases on Fat Hippy has been a big part of that. Those CDs from that much berated local effort label get further afield than most naysayers would believe, and from that comes gig bookings. We have a reputation for putting on a good show, and being good at it, and that translates into interest from promoters both near and far away. I actually disagree a little with what you say here, in that I think it's easier to be sucessful and build a reputation if you're more of a "niche" band. People will come out and see a horror punk band like ourselves even if they know nothing about us, because it's quite a rare thing these days. If you're in a heavy metal or pop-punk band then I think people are less likely to be curious or have the motivation because they can see those kind of acts pretty much anytime. Even being a shithot band in these cases is not good enough, it's a problem of saturation really. You have to be able to offer people more than just some songs performed well if you want them to turn out in a town where they've never heard of you before.[/quote']

Replace the word niche with novelty. :p

Problem with some bands who use props etc is that they tend to be remembered for their act as opposd to the music...

I haven't heard Karloff's music so the above may not apply to them.

Personally, I prefer to just concentrate on playing my instruments rather than putting on a show.

:)

Guest Zeenat Aman
So why bother going out to see a gig then? Why not just stay home and listen to the CD? Each to their own' date=' but I find that the show is important... A Who fan would feel cheated if they went to a Who gig and Pete T didn't pull off his trademark guitar windmill. Likewise, a Kiss fan would feel let down if they went to the gig and found Kiss playing in jeans and a t-shirt with no make-up on. It's not just about the music, even Elvis and Buddy Holly proved that.[/quote']

Heh, I revised what I originally wrote.

I go to gigs with the hope that I will see/hear/feel something magical happen within a musical performance. Plus, listening to a CD is a million miles away from being at a gig, especially if improvisation is a part of it.

I would say that a big percantage of jazz gig's rely on the music and the players just playing only and people still go to see that!?

Replace the word niche with novelty. :p

Problem with some bands who use props etc is that they tend to be remembered for their act as opposd to the music...

I haven't heard Karloff's music so the above may not apply to them.

Personally' date=' I prefer to just concentrate on playing my instruments rather than putting on a show.

:)[/quote']

I really can't think of any act I've seen that does more than just play their instruments that I remember for their act more than their music! Not even Slipknot is guilty of that, they have some music and talent going on in the show, if you're open minded enough to go along to one. Everyone is different... For me, playing my guitar well is the biggest part of a performance, but having some fun and interacting with an audience is also a part of the enjoyment. In fact, I find it takes more concentration and skill to be active and still play to your best. I like the challenge...

Heh' date=' I revised what I originally wrote.

I go to gigs with the hope that I will see/hear/feel something magical happen within a musical performance. Plus, listening to a CD is a million miles away from being at a gig, especially if improvisation is a part of it.

I would say that a big percantage of jazz gig's rely on the music and the players just playing only and people still go to see that!?[/quote']

I don't disagree... But styles like jazz, at least to the layman like me, seem to be built around improvisation and experimentation. It's hard, but not impossible, to improvise in the context of a musical style like punk... But most punk fans are not there for that. They want the songs, loud and fast so they can go nuts and have a blast. I'd imagine a big part of watching accomplished jazz musicians is watching their skill and technique. When did you see much of that in a punk performance!? :)

I'd imagine a big part of watching accomplished jazz musicians is watching their skill and technique. When did you see much of that in a punk performance!? :)

When's Sid's gripping onto his whammy bar for dear life that's when! ;)

I think it's great having a bit of interaction with the audience and a bit of a show - like Rob says I think a lot of people would prefer coming out to see something like that 'cause it's away from the norm and entertaining to boot.

As long as the music's not suffering then let the performance continue! :D

Guest Zeenat Aman
I don't disagree... But styles like jazz' date=' at least to the layman like me, seem to be built around improvisation and experimentation. It's hard, but not impossible, to improvise in the context of a musical style like punk... But most punk fans are not there for that. They want the songs, loud and fast so they can go nuts and have a blast. I'd imagine a big part of watching accomplished jazz musicians is watching their skill and technique. When did you see much of that in a punk performance!? :)[/quote']

A new genre, improvised punk!!!

I see punk as the shit on the shoe of the musical being though. :p

Guest Zeenat Aman

As long as the music's not suffering then let the performance continue! :D

Yes, I agree with that, but so many gigs are just a joke thanks to rock posturing and so on.

:)

I'd imagine a big part of watching accomplished jazz musicians is watching their skill and technique.

Nail. Head. Ouch!! Yep, you are dead right. I think that's their show, if you like!! Different strokes for different folks :cheers:

The jazzers will go onstage thinking "I am going to play my best tonight", whereas the punks will be thinking "I am going to give a good show tonight". Both audiences go away happy. I know that's a sweeping generalization but............

i think you will find we are a band

unlike yourself we write new' date=' interesting and creative music, we have something meaningful to say other than "i missed you last night" and the like

fair dos it does take a while for us to get our shit together with me being in glasgow and the like. you will see us in the summer at GAVFEST[/quote']

haha oh dear......