aberdeen-music

Gaining a reputation?

liamtw

Guest Zeenat Aman
How do bands gauge when their reputation is growing in the "scene" dare i ask????

Answers on the back of a postcard! :help:

You want to earn a good reputation!?

Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse!!!

Always do you're best when playing gigs, despite bad audiences, equipiment failing and so on.

Make you're demo's as good as is possible at the time of recording.

Be proffesional and respectful towards other bands and soundmen when doing soundchecks and playing gigs

just a few tips!

its not that im worried i was just wondering peoples opinions on things such as this cos it seems that many people tend to judge a new band on their reputation and from a few gigs we've had we've had some excellent feedback with a lot of people sayin some good things and in time our gig schedule has seem to increase!

always tryin!

Take a look at those 40 people. How many of them are friends? How many of them are family? How many of them are only coming because their friends are going? How many of them are dating a band member? How many of them come just because they enjoy a good night out and you're the perfect excuse?

Put those people out of your mind. Who is left? Now how many of those people come because they truly *love* your music or at the very least, *really* like it with no strings attached?

That is your core audience. Build on that. Who are they? What do they have in common? What common thing links them, other than your band? Do they all like to skate, or go to a particular hang out? Do they all go to the same websites?

Once you answer those questions you'll be able to figure out where you need to advertise your band, where you need to get the word out. Then you'll build your own fanbase who will be loyal to you and not "the scene".

btw have you guys tried makin the steps to gettin yourselves outta the "scene" and makin it a national thing? we really wanna give this a shot if you guys have any kinda pointers or even if you'd be intrested in joinin us on like a joint venture tour thing then it'd be intrestin to try

btw have you guys tried makin the steps to gettin yourselves outta the "scene" and makin it a national thing? we really wanna give this a shot if you guys have any kinda pointers or even if you'd be intrested in joinin us on like a joint venture tour thing then it'd be intrestin to try

Not really. The band I'm in just now has only been going for a few months and we're just finding our feet. We've got a project we're working on to raise our profile, but it's still in the planning stages. Before that, I was in a band that concentrated on having fun rather than anything else... when we started moving in a serious direction everything fell apart.

Sometimes, being in a band is all about momentum. You have to get everyone on the same page striving for the same goals and pushing in the same direction. When that fucks up it can be like starting out at square one again.

If there's someone in the band you can't trust or rely on, and you want to go national, my best advice is kick them out now.

If you want to talk about things like this (on the road etc) talk to Jonny Lucifer or someone from The Videos or something. Even Karloff got themselves around, and in a tour bus no less! I'm sure they can tell you all sorts of things I don't claim to know about. There's also Aly Gray who worked with The Score and put them all over the blumin' country.

Again however, this is gonna come down to who you want to reach, The Score were a more mainstream indie-type band, Jonny worked with a niche' Rockabilly act called Pyscho A-Go-Go, and Karloff are a horror punk band.

In general, the more mainstream you are, the bigger the audiences you can get and perhaps the easier it is to get dates. (Don't hold me to that) The more alternative you are, the more willing others are to help you out above and beyond the call of duty.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Don't know if this'll help, but fanzines can be a great way to spread the word on the underground at least. I sent some copies of our demo to a few zines, and it got good reviews. They put my address at the bottom of the review and I got a few letters, one from Germany so I traded a few copies of the demo. Out of the blue, I got a letter from Belarus of all places! Someone wanted us to appear on a comp. tape he was doing, so there we were on a worldwide punk comp. tape. Lovely.

Also, write to bands you're into. You'd be surprised at how many prefer to trade releases rather than profiteer. A friend in Belgium is distroing our CD now. And this is all 100% D.I.Y. too. All power to the underground.

Guest stuartmaxwell

how to gain a reputation.

1. write great songs

2. play great shows

3. dont play too often

4. be professional (do not turn up late, make sure you know your set up well for a soundcheck, dont turn up with 30 backpacks filled with leads, always stake spare instruments)

5. stop coming on here and posting about your band every 20 seconds. its desperate.

in all, be a good band, that will get you the fame (i.e. people looking at you up and down and telling you how great they think your band is in moshulu on a friday night) that you so obviously desperately seek among the aberdeen scene.

but you shouldnt actually care what others think, as long as you are having fun??or is it about being popular and in with the "cool" crowd who will forget about you in 4 months.

how to gain a reputation.

1. write great songs

2. play great shows

3. dont play too often

4. be professional (do not turn up late' date=' make sure you know your set up well for a soundcheck, dont turn up with 30 backpacks filled with leads, always stake spare instruments)

5. stop coming on here and posting about your band every 20 seconds. its desperate.

in all, be a good band, that will get you the fame (i.e. people looking at you up and down and telling you how great they think your band is in moshulu on a friday night) that you so obviously desperately seek among the aberdeen scene.

but you shouldnt actually care what others think, as long as you are having fun??or is it about being popular and in with the "cool" crowd who will forget about you in 4 months.[/quote']

So basically, just do things the Guts on Fire way...