aberdeen-music

Vocal Range Question

jester1470

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I haven't argued with Jake or Jonny about their comments about Freddie' date=' even though i think they're wrong [/quote']

I have not made any bloody comments about Freddie. The desperation to be thought of as right overshadows all.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Its tongue in cheek' date=' I havent heard Stayover, there probably good lol. [/quote']

I would just like to say that your new signature nearly caused me to spray coffee over the computer.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
And some agree with me. Infact nobody yet has said that Devin is poor' date=' bad or "a nothing special singer". [/quote']

Haven't they? Allow me then.

In the interests of balance, Freddie Mercury bores the shit out of me as well.

I think Freddy was a better all-round performer/singer' date=' but Dev can get really high, really low, and scream like a mad fuck, so I'll say hem.[/quote']

Listen to this man.

I would agree that while Freddie's voice is no doubt spectacular, Devin can sing extremely high, sing both agressively and beautifully, sing low as well as screaming with the best of them - versatile as fuck. Although Freddie never had the opportunity to practise his metal screaming so we'll never know on that one...

However, you can't really say 'who has the better voice' as that's pretty subjective... but I think Devin is amazing.

Um i tihnk your both wrong actually. James Labrie the Dream Theater singer has an EXTREME vocal range... he also does all styles of music from lots of shoutey stuff to classical stuff even. I think he beats them by allot. I guess most of you dont know him though.

Um i tihnk your both wrong actually. James Labrie the Dream Theater singer has an EXTREME vocal range... he also does all styles of music from lots of shoutey stuff to classical stuff even. I think he beats them by allot. I guess most of you dont know him though.

Know him, met him, got drunk with him and discussed vocalists with him (sadly the Devin/Freddie thing never came up ;)) at the Transatlantic gig in 2001 I think it was. Interestingly one of his favourite vocalists is Steve Hogarth, a great vocalist but limited range. Having seen Dream Theater before and heard a fair bit of their stuff I didn't hold him as having a hugely great range tbh, but then maybe thats just me.

Cheers

Stuart

I own ALL the Dream Theater albums (expect their very first one which Labrie didn't sing on), the DVD's and have seen DT live. (Can't compete with Stuart's 'met him' though... ;))

I would actually say Labrie is the weakest part of the band. He is a good vocalist and has a pretty damn good range however I don't think he compares to Devin Townsend.

I bet Devin could also do 100 times better job of singing all of Master of Puppets (the album) and Number of The Beast (the album) than Labrie did when DT covered them...

I own ALL the Dream Theater albums (expect their very first one which Labrie didn't sing on)' date=' the DVD's and have seen DT live. (Can't compete with Stuart's 'met him' though... ;))

I would actually say Labrie is the weakest part of the band. He is a good vocalist and has a pretty damn good range however I don't think he compares to Devin Townsend.

I bet Devin could also do 100 times better job of singing all of Master of Puppets (the album) and Number of The Beast (the album) than Labrie did when DT covered them...[/quote']

I agree with Dan. He is a good singer, he hits high notes but I have never really heard him do anything outstanding or adventerous, correct me if Im wrong though because I havent heard lots of Dream Theatre.

Didnt Devin and Labrie both sing in the prog lads album, I forget the name of him.

Steve Hogarth, yeah not a massive range but from what I have heard at Jester Towers, hes a decent vocalist