aberdeen-music

Vocal Range Question

jester1470

Hog and I are currently arguing and have been for weeks over who has the better and more sustainable vocal range, Hog reckons Devin Townsend and I reckon Freddie Mercury. Hog reckons Devin has a better vocal range than Freddie and I don't. I feel Freddie had the better range that has been shown on numerous solo and Queen releases.

Comments ? from people who have heard both obviously...

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Jake Wifebeater

From what Hog tells me, the two of you are as stubborn and mule-headed as each other and the issue of who has the better vocal range is secondary to the main point, which is that both of you desperately want people to think you're more right than the other one.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

From what Hog tells me' date=' the two of you are as stubborn and mule-headed as each other and the issue of who has the better vocal range is secondary to the main point, which is that both of you desperately want people to think you're more right than the other one.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.[/quote']

And what's your point ;)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
And what's your point ;)

Sorry, it's just that Hog rabbits offline about it too! I believe you were recently having a mature, adult discussion about drummers not so long ago? I got chapter and bloody verse about that too and I eagerly await the next rivetting instalment about guitar-playing.

Sorry' date=' it's just that Hog rabbits offline about it too! I believe you were recently having a mature, adult discussion about drummers not so long ago? I got chapter and bloody verse about that too and I eagerly await the next rivetting instalment about guitar-playing.[/quote']

I apologise for you having to deal with Hog's skewed take on music ;) but he's so much fun ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Freddie Mercury... Devin Townsend has a great range' date=' can't argue... but I am a classically trained singer, and I studied a lot of Queen music... Freddie Mercury was special in that department.[/quote']

No way Paul! Have you heard how low Dev can go on SYL songs and how high he hits with some of the Infinty stuff? Have you studies a lot of Devin music throughout his back catalogue? You still rock though :cheers:

As long as this is on range...although I don't think Freddie wins that either. He left Taylor to do ther REALLY high stuff.

(Okay that a bit of a generalisation, but I can't STAND Queen!_ Only Queen LP I like is Queen 2. And that is very good actually...

I never undertsand why such a bombastic band that were the definition of pomp-rock and then 80s stadium rock have resisted the sneers most other bands like that have suffered...is it just because Mercury died I wonder? Whatever the events surrounding it, Inneuendo is an appaling record for a band supposedly so significant to dare to release. Cunningly bookended with two good songs: its the definition of a shit sandwich.

What was the question again?

As long as this is on range...although I don't think Freddie wins that either. He left Taylor to do ther REALLY high stuff.

(Okay that a bit of a generalisation' date=' but I can't STAND Queen!_ Only Queen LP I like is Queen 2. And that is very good actually...

I never undertsand why such a bombastic band that were the definition of pomp-rock and then 80s stadium rock have resisted the sneers most other bands like that have suffered...is it just because Mercury died I wonder? Whatever the events surrounding it, Inneuendo is an appaling record for a band supposedly so significant to dare to release. Cunningly bookended with two good songs: its the definition of a shit sandwich.

What was the question again?[/quote']

Indeed. I for one think that Freddie was an amazing vocalist, possibly better than Devin but Im talking about range and people who have a good understanding of both musicians i.e. "Oh yeah Freddie rules, that Dev is the screamy dude" em, Dev does actually do other stuff outside Strapping Young Lad, actually 7 or 8 albums! So keep it fair ladies and gentlemen

Indeed. I for one think that Freddie was an amazing vocalist' date=' possibly better than Devin but Im talking about range and people who have a good understanding of both musicians i.e. "Oh yeah Freddie rules, that Dev is the screamy dude" em, Dev does actually do other stuff outside Strapping Young Lad, actually 7 or 8 albums! So keep it fair ladies and gentlemen[/quote']

Erm you've ujust argued against your own point haven't you Hog ? that people who have a good understanding of both artists say: "Oh yeah Freddie rules, that Dev is the screamy dude". You, yourself agreed that screaming is not a part of a vocal range but something different.

Cheers

Stuart

Erm you've ujust argued against your own point haven't you Hog ? that people who have a good understanding of both artists say: "Oh yeah Freddie rules' date=' that Dev is the screamy dude". You, yourself agreed that screaming is not a part of a vocal range but something different.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

lol you didnt read the whole post. Devin is better known for his role in SYL duh lol. The DTB which is his cleaner vocals is less well known. So no, you interpret my post through your rose tinted view :rolleyes: Your going to have to do better than that Stu. Oh, and btw Devin does use clean vocals for SYL too although not much so suck my fat one :gringo:

Read my post. I am referring to what Freddie and what Devin are known for. I am not generalising that Dev screams and that all he does.

lol you didnt read the whole post. Devin is better known for his role in SYL duh lol. The DTB which is his cleaner vocals is less well known. So no' date=' you interpret my post through your rose tinted view :rolleyes: Your going to have to do better than that Stu[/quote']

Pssst Hog, what you wrote actually doesn't make sense, you start with a statement about what people who know both of them think but you don't finish that comment you just go on to the fact that Devin does other stuff :p I notice by the way you feel the need to argue your case still, I haven't argued with Jake or Jonny about their comments about Freddie, even though i think they're wrong ;) You take it all so seriously mr Hog :p You have to accepot somne people agree with me :p

Cheers

Stuart

Pssst Hog' date=' what you wrote actually doesn't make sense, you start with a statement about what people who know both of them think but you don't finish that comment you just go on to the fact that Devin does other stuff :p I notice by the way you feel the need to argue your case still, I haven't argued with Jake or Jonny about their comments about Freddie, even though i think they're wrong ;) You take it all so seriously mr Hog :p You have to accepot somne people agree with me :p

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

And some agree with me. Infact nobody yet has said that Devin is poor, bad or "a nothing special singer". Your the one who nit picks my wording of things. Im glad some people agree with you, but do they know both artists very well? You cow bitch :love:

PS, I bet we wouldnt argue about my signature!

And some agree with me. Infact nobody yet has said that Devin is poor' date=' bad or "a nothing special singer". Your the one who nit picks my wording of things. Im glad some people agree with you, but do they know both artists very well? You cow bitch :love:

PS, I bet we wouldnt argue about my signature![/quote']

Actually we might, I like Stayoevr, well what i've heard from their demoes, easily one of the better bands i've heard up here, commercial and seelable.

I wasn't nitpicking, just pointing out you were arguing my case and not making sense, thats it ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Actually we might' date=' I like Stayoevr, well what i've heard from their demoes, easily one of the better bands i've heard up here, commercial and seelable.

I wasn't nitpicking, just pointing out you were arguing my case and not making sense, thats it ;)

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Its tongue in cheek, I havent heard Stayover, there probably good lol.

Im not argueing your case, when do I ever make sense? :laughing:

Cheers

Hog