aberdeen-music

memories of drakes.

shaun

Guest Cowboy Dan

I think the first time I went to Drakes was The X-certs 2nd (maybe third) ever gig with Gilman Street, this was just after the new Drakes had opened I think. Some band pulled out at the last minute so Inept 303 were asked to play and Ross the drummer said they'd only play if they could go on last, so they did.

I think it was the first AUBL Poll:ution gig a few years back, that was fun, when Liber8 won.

Anyone remember the short lived sets from bands on a Saturday afternoon? That was fun.

Another memory was from just the other week when I actually had to queue outside with quite a few other people in order to get in to X-Certs gig, it was a case of one person out, one person in, that was fun.

Overall it was pretty fun.

The last Fishstock WBL played with Onion Terror, SEA and MDL (also the last time I played at Drake's) was awesome. Just a really cool vibe that was typical of the venue on a busy night.

I don't think I'll ever forget those weekly Fudge quiz shananagans either...

The loss of Drake's is such a tragic blow to Aberdeen's scene. I can't see it ever being the same again.

Old drakes:

- My 21st birthday party, which included splitting my head open on the bar after falling on a table, and performing a 20 minute long version of The Cramps' 'Human Fly' with Sam Addison.

- The In Decades Decline/We Become Less show. So, so awesome.

- Playing with a German band called Useless, who subsequently invited us to play with them the following night in Edinburgh. In THE ROUGHEST PUB IN THE WORLD. Still, Drakes was all about the international community of starving rock musicians, and they were amazingly funny guys for Germans. ;)

- Numerous, incredibly drunken, ill-advised Wildhearts covers sets.

- All the old characters - Monty, Garth, Duckman etc.

- DJing Fudge's Guillotine night

New Drakes:

- Rat Daddy blowing the roof off the place when they played

- Ditto Five Horse Johnson

- Ditto Man Inc.

- Radio Lucifer's first gig.

Loads of people have said this, but Drakes really was a Rock Mecca to me and my friends. Radio Lucifer probably wouldn't exist without the place, given that we all played our first few shows with our previous bands on that hallowed stage. Where will the kids have their now?

a lot!

shouting myke,singing down the front with a couple of friends

aconite thrill

dos dedos' last ever gig

king liar and the brutes at halloween two years ago

mountain men anonymous

and just so many other awesome fun gigs like the AUBL alldayers,poll:ution,the fishstock with WBL,fudge nights and just getting plastered and having a good time,it will be missed:(

• 2 weeks later...

Convincing Kiss to ditch all her school friends and come to Drakes with me straight after her prom, still in full prom dress outfit kinda takes it for me.

A gig with Lost and a French hardcore band playing was ace. Ryans car died for the second time and they were all desperately trying to find some jump leads, but ended up having to leave the car with a polite little note to the traffic wardens, begging to not get a ticket. Then the French guys told me that I should come and live with them in France and that we can tour the world, or something to that effect in broken english. Surprisingly, didn't take them up on that offer.

Those were the days...

Oh

G U MEDICINE lifting the roof of the place to not enough people! Mighty noise!

Other memories include (many that I can't speak about, mmmmmmmmm) all the times when we closed the doors didn't kick anyone out and all got pished to our own choices of music. And then the few public stragglers that were left looking happily bemused as we told them that we have been closed for two hours! God damn I miss my bar :(;( But everyone that came in :kiss::woohoo:;)

Guest Zeenat Aman
I was thinking a little Sax action from mr 'Lips Johnstone' (not named after his ability with reed based instruments) woulda made it better.

Is my memory correct?

Clive Ravensby(I played drums)

Sidca

then finally...

Opaque opened the doors to unkown dimensions of the human mind, body and soul!

1. Heckling nearly every band I saw for two years straight.

2. The Donside Records "Compilation Ultra" launch.

3. Piston Brokes then falling on my arse at the bar.

4. Johnny Lucifer (nee A-Go-Go)'s arse cleavage.

5. Halloween dressed as a Nazi priest.

6. Writing three pages of lyrics about robots.

7. V8 Death Machine Phase Two.

8. Being a Youngblood on the prowl back in the day.

*Begins sobbing uncontrollably*

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks. Have come to this thread a bit late bit wanted to chip in anyway!

Have unsurprisingly few memories from the final Narcosis/ Cosmica night the other week. Messy.

Loads of others tho - many mentioned already. Valhella, obviously, was pretty special to me and mebbe 4 other people or whatever. Sidca gigs were always pretty far out and could only really have worked properly in Drakes I reckon! (No one else would book Sidca! Their loss) That Opaque one in particular was great and has now led to a new project with myself and Lea Opaque down here in Glasgow. Saw so many great bands on random occasions - one that springs to mind was called something like the barnhouse effect(??) anyway, I wandered along drunk, alone and skint after being handed a flyer by dave and ended up going home with ringing ears, a belly full of beer and an excellent 10" single. Thanks everyone for that one.

One more memory - not a very good one actually was that time i somehow managed to glass Turganog at the end of a masamune set(!?!?) Less said about that one the better!

Fuck it, alls well that ends well.

Fangs for the mammaries.

Rory.

• 3 years later...