aberdeen-music

Moshulu bows down to dress code pressure

Flik

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pelican...

Aaaah... I remember the dress code well. I had to try and enforce it most weekends. Hell of a job when on occassion you would get a granny group from upstairs trolloping down to the Pelican followed by their tached spouses. Too pissed to comprehend English. Or when the odd bearded German off a boat fancied coming in for a bit of banging techno. Simply unable to comprehend English, or should I say that I couldn't speak German!! Common sense prevailed on all accounts! The dress code was there, and allowed for interpretation. Christ I had more hassle and fistycuffs with some of the bosses mates, pissed, drugged up (dressed the same as everyone else) and not in the mood for a telling!! I did enjoy trying though!! Dress codes can and should be interpreted under the influence of common sense. Gauranteed there will always be a nutter that shouts from the other side of the street whilst waking backwards... "you let him in and he's wearing fucking make up... must be a gay bar you fucking fucks". And at that point consideration is then given to a vocabulary and grammar based door code.

Right of refusal lies with the management!!! I will add that a bam is a bam no matter what they are wearing.:nono::cheers::rockon:

Originally posted by stuartmaxwell

the bouncers banned amir and have been total cox to him since

fair dos he is a nippy wee shite when hes had a few but

GET AMIR BACK IN MOSHULU

No, I banned him, I tolerate alot, but being called a fucking racist, to my face, when I was trying to give him an opportunity to come back to the club is an insult too far I'm afraid

Guest stuartmaxwell

ah

a prime example of why he is a nippy wee shite when hes had a few

oh well

i think the dress code is a cool idea, but ive never had any trouble from any1 in there, its the most friendly place in aberdeen (even more than dr drakes:cheers: )

Guest MerryChristmas
Originally posted by Flik

Having given much consideration to the market we aim to provide for, Rob and I have decided to implement a general dress code for the club.

We now regret to inform that all Burbury (sp?) and tracksuit pants are considered inappropriate for Moshulu. These items are not exclusive, and any similar "trends" will unfortunately not be permitted inside. Feel free to comment.

:swearing:

im a ne ed an am gonnae tak ye tae eh hing en eh yooropeen joonion aye so ah am aye wh aye at hing yooropeen coort 'o' humanitationn richts

aye min

MON THE BURBERRY

Bullshit bullshit bullshit.

I defy anyone to stand and tell me that the clothes you wear or your general chosen appearence defines your likely behaviour.

What happened to giving people the benifit of the doubt, and taking action if it becomes necessary...?

Personally, I've had more trouble from the macho, white vest, meathead brigade at Caged than I have from anyone who "looks" to be a ned.

Common sense on the door and keen bouncing should be all that's required, not some restrictive and cliquey judgemental door policy. Should the likes of Yates or Revolution stop me on the door because I look like a "rocker" who will probably get sauced up on Jack, grope the women, and start fights with the guys....?! It's bad enough having to resist stereotyping in the workplace, let alone on a night out when you're supposed to be relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Taking judgements based on appearence is exactly what racists do. Now tell me how you justify doing this in ANY shape or form?

Originally posted by Rob Karloff

Bullshit bullshit bullshit.

I defy anyone to stand and tell me that the clothes you wear or your general chosen appearence defines your likely behaviour.

What happened to giving people the benifit of the doubt, and taking action if it becomes necessary...?

Personally, I've had more trouble from the macho, white vest, meathead brigade at Caged than I have from anyone who "looks" to be a ned.

Common sense on the door and keen bouncing should be all that's required, not some restrictive and cliquey judgemental door policy. Should the likes of Yates or Revolution stop me on the door because I look like a "rocker" who will probably get sauced up on Jack, grope the women, and start fights with the guys....?! It's bad enough having to resist stereotyping in the workplace, let alone on a night out when you're supposed to be relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Taking judgements based on appearence is exactly what racists do. Now tell me how you justify doing this in ANY shape or form?

wow, the first person to agree with me!

Originally posted by Moshulu Rob

I think that Flik was making the comedy point that if you turn up in Tracksuit bottoms tucked into your socks and white trainers, with a Burberry shirt, Jacket and cap on you are unlikely to get in.

As always it gets a little mis represented on a message board,

at no point was he suggesting you can't wear a shirt, or trousers, or shoes or anything like that.

Don't get your knickers in a twist ladies.

Originally posted by Rob Karloff

OK, racism is based upon a persons skin colour or ethnicity, over which they have no choice, is no reflection on their personality, and is therefore completely irrational and without justification.

The clothes someone wears are a reflection of their personality, after all they have made the concious decision to choose and wear them.

Some items of clothing become linked Inextricably over time with loose sociological groups, the most obvious in this case being soccer casuals, the social uniform for which is Burberry, Stone Island, Prada etc etc. As the group becomes identifiable people can choose to 'buy into' that group by purchasing and wearing items of this 'social uniform'. By buying into this group you are agreeing with the morals and beliefs of the other members of that group to some extent. Now, of course some people may purchase a burberry cap because they like it, but that is not a 'social uniform' only when paired with other items does the effect take hold, which removes a large factor of chance from the occasion.

Your example of not being allowed into Yates Rob, is correct in some sense because they have succesfully identified the type of music you like due to your social uniform, where it falls down is in their stereotyping of that social group. What they don't realise, is that on average there is far less trouble from people in your 'social uniform' than from people in the uniform of the soccer casual.

So to sum up, yes you can make descions about which social group a person feels they belong to, based upon their dress, and there is a raft of work by sociologists about this. What you have to be careful about is how you personally stereotype the social group that someone has chosen to buy into.

In our case we take decisions for the greater good of the guests in the club, so If the worlds biggest rock fan, and nicest guy in the world turns up in white trainers, tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks, blue and white hooped Henry Lloyd Jumper and Burberry cap, and further more doesn't sufficiently articulate their love of the music and general good nature then I'm afraid that they aren't getting in that evening.

If someone wants to call me racist for that, they can blow me.

I think the problem with these message boards is that it is too easy to have argument's because you like having an argument and therefore try and convert someone else's perfectly reasonable point of view into one with which you can have a nice old argument.

For Example, in this thread I was arguing for turning away the classic hardcore ned, pissed up and out of his mind on drugs, which I don't think anyone would argue with. And you and Rob were arguing thinking we were going to start banning shoes and having elitist door pickers, which again is perfectly rational for you to argue against.

So, lets pick differing, irrational points of view to all take and have a nice fun argument. :dunce:

Rob

I think the problem with these message boards is that it is too easy to have argument's because you like having an argument and therefore try and convert someone else's perfectly reasonable point of view into one with which you can have a nice old argument.

For Example, in this thread I was arguing for turning away the classic hardcore ned, pissed up and out of his mind on drugs, which I don't think anyone would argue with. And you and Rob were arguing thinking we were going to start banning shoes and having elitist door pickers, which again is perfectly rational for you to argue against.

So, lets pick differing, irrational points of view to all take and have a nice fun argument. :dunce:

Rob

i agree that these messageboards allow stuff to be easily taken out of context.

but i suppose it is a good thing really, as it allows you (the management) to get feedback from us (the punters) regarding issues you are thinking about relating to moshulu etc.

no-one will ever agree on everything 100%, but it's good to get feedback from all quarters, both positive and negative.

I just think all that is needed on this dress code, is a bit of common sense. it's surely easy enough to spot a knobheab trying to get in. i mean there are plenty of knobhead's who go to moshulu who aren't ned's anyway ;) some, so called 'alternative types' or whatever the fuck everyone is classed as these days....

And you and Rob were arguing thinking we were going to start banning shoes and having elitist door pickers, which again is perfectly rational for you to argue against.

I wasn't arguing. I was trying to make a point, and that point being that "tarring with the same brush" is a very blinkered way to do things. I look at people based on their attitude and actions, not on what their perceived social group generally does. Ergo, if someone in Burberry is civil and good-natured to me, then I'll quite happily engage them. Conversely, if someone attempts to fuck me around, burberry *or* flamed cap, they'll receive a sharpened response. At the end of the day it's your deal, and if you want a dress-code and only a certain clientele, you'll have it.

Also, I never stated you were a racist, nor did I imply it. I made the assertion that racism was discrimination based on a kind of appearence, and suggested that the basic premise of discrimination should be un-justifiable. A world where you are taken on your individual character, actions and abilities, rather than outward appearence, would be much better place to travel life in....

Originally posted by Cammy

Will all baseball capped types be refused entry too? I hope not - I needs mine to hide my shit hair!

Baseball caps in general fit in perfectly well with our social scene, I'd use Fred Durst as an example for want of a better on.

Oh my god. How does a simple thread turn into a political mess?

i personally have never seen a ned in moshulu... the reason for this are the fact that neds dont goto "goth" clubs. The people that call some peeps neds in moshulu are mistaken, people that come in dressed differently dont neccesarily have to be idiots/dicks. Some are, granted that, but i know some complete twits in moshulu that "fit" the desired cliche. The people that come in with trendy clothes on arnt neds and i know people that get the term mixed up like this. ive seen people with trendy clothes come in and have an ace time only to be ruined by people like me who decide to have a little fun in the mosh. Its not like we pick on people dressed differently its just they dont understand the rules of moshing and end up getting themself mixed up in a pit and get their arses kicked by girls and guys :p mostly girls, strangly enough *looks shiftely at lisa and stacy*.

ok i forgot my point...

oh yeah im not making this political but i actually thought flik was being deadly honest.

maybe i didnt read it right but thats what it seemed to me :)