aberdeen-music

Bass bass and some more bass

YETI

people who play with a heavy groove like donald duck dunn and billy cox. people who play like bass like they want to, not like they think they should. i like simple designs, tonnes of power and big amps so you can feel like you're being crushed by the sound or play something delicate and careful. mixing huge riffs, simple riffs and gentle playing. people who can cover different styles without you even noticing they've changed. players who are a part of their instrument and put every ounce of themselves into playing. that's what it's all about to me

brands i love are really fender, warwick and musicman. warwicks have the simpliciy and the beauty, musicmans have the power and fenders are made to be used like a hammer. i want to achieve total mastery of the instrument. having a bass and knowing without question, exactly what the next sound you're gonna create is, without ever havnig to think about it. it's a near impossibility, but that's what you need to be striving for.

i love bass!

spoonie

X

fenders are made with slabs of wood. they're not fancy and they're not elaborate, just stripped down and raw. i have a '62 reissue japanese precision with EMG's and a badass 2 bridge and it's a real weapon. when you need to play hard, the stingray stays on the wall. the fender is the only bass i own which i would trust to take a proper pounding.

Originally posted by Spoonie:

people who play with a heavy groove like donald duck dunn and billy cox. people who play like bass like they want to, not like they think they should. i like simple designs, tonnes of power and big amps so you can feel like you're being crushed by the sound or play something delicate and careful. mixing huge riffs, simple riffs and gentle playing. people who can cover different styles without you even noticing they've changed. players who are a part of their instrument and put every ounce of themselves into playing. that's what it's all about to me

brands i love are really fender, warwick and musicman. warwicks have the simpliciy and the beauty, musicmans have the power and fenders are made to be used like a hammer. i want to achieve total mastery of the instrument. having a bass and knowing without question, exactly what the next sound you're gonna create is, without ever havnig to think about it. it's a near impossibility, but that's what you need to be striving for.

i love bass!

spoonie

X

thats beutyful... i almost cried ;(

reallly you have got the instrument in you treat it like a partenr lovit be tender and love it some more... the response is great.

feel the bass and be the bass. is not takeing the piss is just how i treat my bass.

fender have the only poroblem of a round neck... i prefere slim lines like warwick or my beast

i've got a warwick streamer std and the neck on it is a beauty. i know how you feel though, when i play my bass, it'm always looking for that way to become closer to what i'm creating. i think guitarists like hendrix and SRV did that when they were playing and it's something that i always strive for. there are some amazing bassists out there through history but there haven't been many who had that kind of connection with their iinstrument. it's a hard thing to achieve. i saw paul lamb and the king snakes (one of my favourite bands of all time) this summmer down in gloucester and paul had control over a harmonica in a way i've never seen with any musician, except maybe paul rose. he plays with absolute conviction and the sounds he can get from a harmonica blew me away. if i could achieve half the level of control over my bass as he has over his harmonica, i'd die a happy man!

spoons

X

i hear you PJ, i'm the same. i often find that the stingray can cut through well but loses the fat. powerful end when it does so. it's mainly because i don't have a good amp. i've only played through about 2 or 3 nice amps and the rest of the time it's utter shite. my own amp is a disgrace! it's over 15 years old and i put overdrive through it so many times, the cone's like confetti!

I'm a fan of big and smooth bass with alot of power to it...no distortion or crumble to the sound...just that big big bad sound. I love playing higher up the neck using the D and G strings much like the Cunning Stunts bass doodle with Jason Newstead or Orion by Cliff Burton but I love the deep lows offered by a bass...more melodic playing is my thing but alot of solid lines in there too...no funk/slap for me thank you very much. That is why my main influence are the Metallica bassist's Burton and Newstead along with the AIC bassist's Inez and Starr.

Gear wise I am a big fan of the now non-exsistant Trace Elliot bass amps. Ibanez basses have those slender necks and more slender body designs...not a fan of the Pbass shape...though a Jbass with more slender horns and different head stock ala Sadowsky basses does it for me. Active electronics set for full on power...like I said no slap for me. Stuart Spector basses also rank high on the diserability list.

I have a Trace Elliot V-type valve amp and it sounds ace. Very different from the transistor ones with the graphic EQs. Very simple amp, with only five controls!!!

I was a Warwick man through and through until I got my Stingray. It's now my main stage bass, over the Warwick. I would love a Fender Jazz though. The first bass I used was a Tokai Jazz that had active circuitry fitted, and I wish I still had it. Bah.

Bass is a very underestimated instrument. There are so may guitar players that think because they know their way around a fretboard then that makes them a bass player - wrong!! You can spot a guitar player that is playing bass a mile off. Bass players that switch to guitar make better guitar players than guitarists that switch to bass (it that makes any sense!).

Right! since i started the thread i guess i have to chip in with gear and the lot... well I've got a jacaranda workshop six strings custom neck through.. a beauty and a beast at the same time with its 18v amg actives. tell you the trouth tyhe only amp i can p[lay with is the good old trace elliot. unfortunately now trace is three time the prtice and a third the quality so i've been told. style? anything going... slap, pop, finger, pick and id love to play some decent tapping.

i almost forgot my animal has a lovely detuner on the b string so i can go from standard b to drop a eith the flic of a finger.

i whish i had a picture of it but i dont

as far as amps go, i've never found a trace elliot that i liked. the gallien kreuger that alex was talking about was a beauty and i've played through a couple of ampegs at various rehersal places in glasgow and they really are ace.

monk rocker's right enough about the guitar-bass thing too. the two instruments are completely different. you have a totally different job to do on each instrument and many guitarists move over and get it wrong, but at the same time, everyone has a different style of playing. i tend to play a really 'busy' style like jack bruce whereas i tend to respect people who keep it steady like rod demick or billy cox. in the first band where ginger baker and jack bruce played together, ginger complained that jack was too busy and he didn;t want to play with him. but look how that turned out!

spoonie

X

right said spoonie... i like challenging bass lines. a riff that is a bugger to learn but once you got it to a smooth sequence is a rewarding feeling. unfortunately i'm so ignorant about bass players and other i only know a couple which are my main influences. as for amps is like colours everyone has theyr own favorite.

Originally posted by YETI:

right this is the space for you i want to know what really makes you tick. basses wise of course. brands, styles, inspirations and aspirations.

everything goes

So many

Yamahas for quality and style, Fenders for the sheer classicness and versatility.

One bass that has caught my eye is the BC Rich Beast, it's fucking huge but beautiful.