aberdeen-music

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye!!!!!!

Dizzy Storm

Aberdeen has come along way since Drakes shut down. But its gone full circle, with the emergence of noise/noisy rock, a small venue with cheap hire is needed more than ever in Aberdeen now, or things could fall on their arse again.

Mentions to Shaz, Rowlands, Donny, Maxi, Tunnels etc...for bringing in touring bands after the demise of Drakes, now bands want to play up here again!

• 2 weeks later...

cant believe you even resurrected this thread maxi :rolleyes::D .... but stuff all the good things that have come after drakes, if the damm place hadnt shut down id probably STILL be up drinking till 5/6am every night, have a severe lack of sleep problem, bad skin, and have to come in the next day to stale beer/piss/puke smells!! NIIIIIICE!! but then someone like, say Deslvo, or Keitzer, would come along and make it aaaaaaall OK! :up:

yes, i miss the place....but i do love seeing the progression in EVERYONE since those days :love:

cant believe you even resurrected this thread maxi :rolleyes::D .... but stuff all the good things that have come after drakes, if the damm place hadnt shut down id probably STILL be up drinking till 5/6am every night, have a severe lack of sleep problem, bad skin, and have to come in the next day to stale beer/piss/puke smells!! NIIIIIICE!! but then someone like, say Deslvo, or Keitzer, would come along and make it aaaaaaall OK! :up:

yes, i miss the place....but i do love seeing the progression in EVERYONE since those days :love:

You have a REALLY cool avatar BTW. Or at least you did at the time of writing...

I've come over all nostalgic for 'scent of stale beer and damp upholstery, early morning walks home, freezing venue, self indulgent Djing, doing the books and trying to balance them, having my own fucking bar! I now enjoy seeing my family though and getting a nights sleep!:up:

I'd do it alll again though as Shaz says, some special nights, more often than not, just made all the crap that comes with running a venue worthwhile...

;(:D

• 11 months later...
i miss drakes every day.

no, no..edit.

For all the people that say they miss the place, why not sink some cash in (say 500 quid each) and raise the money to open a venue with a similar vibe? I know it might be way off the mark - but I don't think anyone can really say that Aberdeen is better off without having a small venue for bands to get their first shot in.

One amazing thing about Poznań is the fact that small venues like Drakes are everywhere - there's pubs that have tiny stages in a basement room, with bands always playing - half the time to barely anyone, but there's a definite underground vibe about this city.

Just don't mention the nearly-30 quid to see Fish.

no, no..edit.

For all the people that say they miss the place, why not sink some cash in (say 500 quid each) and raise the money to open a venue with a similar vibe?

You think a lot of people (and there'd need to be a lot of people if it was just 500 each) have enough time to co-own/run a music venue in addition to their existing job/studies/musical pursuits? You crazy. If only 'creating a vibe' was as easy as that...

You think a lot of people (and there'd need to be a lot of people if it was just 500 each) have enough time to co-own/run a music venue in addition to their existing job/studies/musical pursuits? You crazy. If only 'creating a vibe' was as easy as that...

Why not? Seriously, why not?

If Ebbsfleet United (through MyFootballClub) can have 31,000 owners - why can't a small music venue in Aberdeen have 50 owners? Apart from a booker, that could double up as a manager, who else would need to be paid? No reason why volunteers from among the owners couldn't be found to run the place in the evenings, and voila...you have a music venue owned and operated by the very people that it's designed for. I dare say a vibe would come quickly to any such place, especially if it was to give all sorts a chance.

I dare say that such a venture may also attract funding, especially if it was explictly non-profit.

It's a shame I'm no longer in Aberdeen, otherwise I'd put 500 quid where my mouth is.

Why not? Seriously, why not?

If Ebbsfleet United (through MyFootballClub) can have 31,000 owners - why can't a small music venue in Aberdeen have 50 owners? Apart from a booker, that could double up as a manager, who else would need to be paid? No reason why volunteers from among the owners couldn't be found to run the place in the evenings, and voila...you have a music venue owned and operated by the very people that it's designed for. I dare say a vibe would come quickly to any such place, especially if it was to give all sorts a chance.

I dare say that such a venture may also attract funding, especially if it was explictly non-profit.

It's a shame I'm no longer in Aberdeen, otherwise I'd put 500 quid where my mouth is.

Pretty stupid comparison to a football club - you might as well say 'if John Lewis has X shareholders, why can't a small venue?' I'm sure if there were 31,000 people interested in a small venue like Drakes, then it wouldn't have closed in the first place.

Of course it's possible, it's the way you introduced the idea as being so black and white, so easy, that riles me. It'd take an insane amount of organisation, and more than just a booker/manager - what about security, for example? The vast majority of people wouldn't want that responsibility, and it's not just an Aberdeen thing. There are some great examples of community-run venues, such as The Smell in LA. But the fact is that it takes more than just setting up as a business (seems to be your viewpoint on most musical-based discussions to be fair so I want shit on you about that), for a community-run venue to have a 'vibe' and be exciting.