aberdeen-music

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye!!!!!!

Dizzy Storm

this is really sad.

drakes has been amazing to me and my different bands over the years...from the awesome tar/evergreen gigs back in the day (ambulance home anyone?) to the first time the 44s played in aberdeen. you guys were always incredibly helpful and generous.

best of luck!

iain +the 44s

Man, this is the worst news Ive heard in a while. The only thing cooler than sitting back watching some bands go tits up in the magical room was actually playing on the strangely shaped stage. So many ace memories in such a small room, first gig, ace gigs, romances, DJ-ing, doin the lights/smoke, and piss-ups. I'm totally gutted; Onion Terror and the Pro Evo Soccer soc. will greatly miss this magnificent venue. Best wishes for the future to all the staff.

:( :( :(

Somewhere in the region of 20 gigs i've put on there over the years, some good, some great , some really great, all allways a success down to the support and help of those behind the bar.

First Residue gig there (even though we were shit), First Filthpact gig there, its an enviroment in which i've had such good times.

Cheers to all involved in Dr Drakes, past and present.

And now the end, well it aint gonna go quietly thats all i'll say...

Unfortunately this is often the way - you see places that are pure of vision, ideologically sound, places that you feel at home... they always struggle. The free market has no respect for creative ideologies, unfortunately. Hearty thanks to Dr Drakes for the best two nights out I've had this past two years - actually, the only two nights out I've had! Planet Boo feels your pain. Mwah.

Dire news.

I'd heard whispers of this recently, and dismissed them as I always do- there have always been rumours about venues closing down, and they are almost always totally unfounded. But, this time it seems to be true. Santa isn't real after all. (Although the crypticly positive elements of the messages seem to suggest that we might somehow still be getting presents anyway?)

Drakes bar was where I first cut my drinking and gig-going teeth all those years ago, back in 1998. 7 Years- yikes, that's about 30.4% of my life, which is a lotta memories. I met a lot of people and made a lot of friends thanks to Drakes.

Drakes' success has to be, of course, credited to the staff. Every one of them, from Martin Bell, Sharon, Jimmy Troupe, Dave Dixon, Ziggy, Jim, Shawn, Nick Ca$ino (nee Seth) etc etc etc were great and a joy to be barfly to. (apart from two exceptions from the old Drakes- the old guy that Fabrizio only employed to annoy La Lombardas, and the jerk-off American guy that was mates with dancin' Del (double jack)).

Yup, starting to feel sad now. Even though I probably hated most of the acts on there, it still feels like a gaping hole where a great little music and drinking haunt should be. It's just a fucking shame that a place that would always be willing to take a risk to put on something interesting and fun can't continue indefinitely.

I'll miss it.

I'd heard whispers of this recently' date=' and dismissed them as I always do- there have always been rumours about venues closing down, and they are almost always totally unfounded. But, this time it seems to be true. Santa isn't real after all. (Although the crypticly positive elements of the messages seem to suggest that we might somehow still be getting presents anyway?)

[/quote']

I think the positive elements refer to the fact that no one from Drakes is going to simply dissappear and never do anything in Aberdeen again. This is truely the demise of the venue, not just a name.

I think the positive elements refer to the fact that no one from Drakes is going to simply dissappear and never do anything in Aberdeen again. This is truely the demise of the venue' date=' not just a name.[/quote']

Aye, i've decided to call all staff of Drakes with their 1st name

followed by boomerang.............

e.g. twoblackjoe is Jim Boomerang

the drum & bass chick is Sharon Boomerang

Guest stuartmaxwell

deeply saddened

if carlsberg made music venues...

the best venue i have ever been to. it is the end of an era. the drakes team can be proud of everything they have achieved in that venue and i look forward to supporting any future activities of anyone involved.

its like the death of john peel all over again

I'm so glad I'm going to get another chance to play there before the place closes. From a band's perspective it's still one somewhere you really have to play and look forward to doing so every time. It's the only venue I've ever written into one of my songs for starters...

Im so fucking gutted. I was seriously crying last night at the thought of it (i think i txted sharon telling her this but it prob didnt make any sense). The Aberdeen scene is fucked now. Were else can people go to watch live music every night? Drummonds? pah! Dr Drakes truly is the peoples venue. A great friendly atmosphere. I've made lots of friends from there, seen so many amazing acts (from top of my head: Thomas Truax, Real McKenzies, Monkey Boy, Hero Dishonest, JimBob, Former Miss America, Mountain Men, King Liar & The Brutes, Groovie Ghoulies, The Dead Pets and of course the many visits from the dangerfields). There is going to be a huge void in the music scene and in many peoples social lifes now.

Thank you to everyone at Drakes for giving me a chance with Good for Nothing? Promotions and for constantly letting me book bands (even though ive had a few crap un's!), for giving The No Pints our first gig with Real McKenzies, for letting me DJ loads and for being the greatest staff in the world!

Aww this very sad! I've seen so many quality gigs at drakes. Some of the best gigs in Aberdeen I have been to were in that little room! Played there a few times and we were looking forward to gigging again soon and making Drakes our first port of call for trying to get a gig organised! To think TMNC will never get to play there either...<wails>

Well thank you to everyone at Drakes for providing such a cool venue and such good time. Bless those mirrored walls and flame paint job. The Scampi Fries crisps...possible the only place that I've seen have those and the rest in range!

So whats going to become of that building? Whats the last gig going to be?

end of an era.

Before i was in bands i used to go watch them at drakes all the time. this is definatley one of the worst days for a long time after reading this.

my forst ever venture in drakes was to see sirrius about 4 maybe 5 years ago and they destroyed everything on stage, just one of the great nights i had there.

I never thought I'd see the day (again) when the only fuckin decent live venue would close its doors to the public.

I am truely disappointed that they never got the support that they were damn well entitled to. Who gave a fuck about all the bands without puttin money in mind first!

And now its gone. Bastard.

Aberdeens nae gonna be the same kids.

This is REALLY distressing. When I was young in the late 80s and early 90s the music scene in Aberdeen wasn't very good. There were some decent bands, but they were rarely seen as very few places would put on anything other than covers bands. Almost nowhere had installed PA, making it even harder for an original local band to put on a gig.

All this changed when Dr Drakes arrived on the scene. In my opinion, everything from ABUL, aberdeen-music, Fudge... you name it can all be traced back to Drakes at some point. Without Drakes, The Moorings would probably still be putting on the Bash Street Kids to a crowd of geriatrics every week... why? Because most of the good original local bands around today probably wouldn't exist if they had never been given their first gig - invariably in Drakes. Were it not for those bands then my guess is that there would be far fewer people into alt.rock living in this area.

It's a tragic that the people that have done most to build the music scene in this town are also numbered among it's casualties.

RIP :down:

Guest crime-is-for-dorks

The first Weapon gig ever was at Drakes, so many other memories with the Point, put on my first gig in Drakes as well, this sucks, but I'm sure knowing the Drakes lot that they have something up their sleeve. Everyone up for packing the old place out tonight?

wow... you come here to see what gigs are going to be on after your exams finish on monday and then you see that all you can possibly do is 'celebrate' the last night at drakes. that really is depressing news :(

finding out the bad news, listening to confuse the cat, geert singing 'this is so unreal, the discovery of a cold, cold world'. rarely had such a fitting out-of-the-blue quote-of-the-moment whispered from my headphones :/

i wish you all the best, i don't know you all too well but i believe you when you say that you won't just disappear and i'll set my hopes on that! ;)

big thanks also once again for supporting our little cruisade last year in may! that was truly amazing and i'll never forget it!

j.