aberdeen-music

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye!!!!!!

Dizzy Storm

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Doctor Drake's Ltd is announcing, with a downcast, positive and progressive attitude that, as of Tuesday the 25th of January we will cease to trade!

This has been nothing but the hardest decision, but one arrived at through a want to necessitate change and development.

There are many many reasons for us arriving at this place and wish it were feasible for individual discourse with all that have questions. Our energy levels, doctors and psychiatrists however have suggested otherwise. So trust in the fact that we (all) at Drake's, will continue the pursuit of what we believe in. There is no wall, door, roof or room that will ever contain, curtail or prevent creative expression!!!

Thank you all, bless you all and never say that it can't be done!!!!!!

All of us

:kiss::music::cheers::band:

this is extremely sad news and a decision i'm sure that wasnt taken lightly. in light of all the new places that have sprung up in the last couple of years offering live music, it was inevitable that there was gonna eventually be a casualty. its just a bloody shame because it was the citys most accomodating and truly alternative venue. thanks for memories.

also i'd like to wish jim, sharon, bri and the rest of the team good luck for the future, apologies for being far too drunk when DJ'ing, letting me put of some spectaculary successful and unsuccessful gigs on as well as some fine gigs some of which i actually remember!

holy shit?! no drakes?!!! that's not good!!!

there are no other small venues in aberdeen with such a cool atmosphere!!

i'd say it's (was) my favouroite place to play....

shit!

aargh this is real now isnt it....hmm..where do i start....apart from a bit of this.... ;(

seriously...its a totally gutting situation, but it had to happen....but onwards and upwards as they say.....you're not getting rid of us that easily!! hehe!

cant begin just now (its late! but i probably will tomorrow!) to say thanks to everyone who has been involved over the past nearly 3 years in bringing quality music to our wee room - its been amazing...

i should sleep now though!

sharon :love:

R.I.P Dr Drakes

When I heard I was gutted

Big thanks to Shaz & Jim

For believing in me as a promoter with the audio dropouts thing

As a bar man with the job thing

and tolerating my terrible cleaning skills

Iv had some great nights there and played my favourite gigs there

The boys in eric euan are deeply saddened by the news

We as many bands in Aberdeen have come to think of drakes as home

And it and the wonderful staff and there attitude will be dearly missed

R.I.P Dr Drakes

Guest Zeenat Aman

A sad ending, but also a happy new beginning!

Thank you Dr Drakes for being the bosom buddy on many a cold, dark, warm and gentle evening.

Best of luck with you're future plans, hopes and dreams

kingkiss.jpg

MUAH... A huh huh!!!

A sadder day there never has been... :( :( :(

So many people have put both their own personal time and, in some cases money, into the place.... It's a truly sad day for local music!! Every local band and many bands from far flung places owe the place and it's friendly, accomodating and understanding staff such a lot for their development and opportunity to play there. Biggest thanks have to go to Sharon, for working tirelessly to make sure the place always had a varied and interesting musical diversity most every night of every week!! Some will not remember back to the early days in the Castlegate, where Shaz could be found casually pulling a pint behind the bar while Cormak Dangerfield lay across it singing the words to "Wasted Again"!!! :)

Many, many fond memories over the past few years, so glad I've annoyed/helped all the staff and people involved with the initial opening a couple of years back. Never will I forget being off work due to being badly beaten up in the legs department by a large tool chest falling on me at a race meeting, only to find myself teetering on a ladder somewhat in pain, trying to finish the wiring off!!! I think I even fell head first down the small steps from the balcony at one point when my legs decided they'd had enough, to be picked up by then-barmaid Lynn. In fact, I was up a ladder fixing the emergency exit light above the main entrace as the bands were loading in their gear for soundcheck on the opening night!!!

So long Dr Drake and your minions, fangs for the memories...

:bat:

All @ interesting music promotions are deeply downcast @ loosing the venue

we love. In the time we have been promoting events @ Dr Drakes, we have

had some fantastic evenings, mainly because of the warmth of the venue, the warmth

of ALL staff to our sometimes alien music programming. At no time were we ever

told no u can't do that.

Almost every artist we have promoted @ Drakes, has been sooo complimentary

about the venue, the staff & our audience, often saying genuinely. its been the

best of the tour.

However as the Rasta man says "Forward, Natural Progression...................

Thanks, peace & you are all in our thoughts..............

:love:

See u all on Friday

m, g & j

x

Truely devastating news. I wish Sharon, Jim and everyone else at Drakes the best with their respective plans from now on. I'm going to miss the place sorely - It totally reinvigorated my enjoyment of living in Aberdeen. So many great bands, fanatical promoters and the best staff too! Aint anything else in Aberdeen that's going to come close to filling the hole.

From holding up plaster board, scrubbing toilet floors, pulling pints, DJing, promoting, drinking to watching bands It's been a hell of a great experience. Thanks all!

Guest tv tanned

A sad day indeed.

I would like to thank everyone at Drakes, having DJ-ed there on a number of occasions it always had a warm, friendly and welcoming feel to it. No matter who you were or where you were from, it felt like you'd always been going there.

I haven't been able to go there for ages, I regret that greatly now. :(