aberdeen-music

Bleeding Through & Cult Of Luna + Steriogram + Ian Hunter

Ross

Im with Medichi here' date=' christ its a step in the right direction and its hardly breaking the bank to go and see. For all the distance you have to travel you never know you might like them live, sometimes thats what it takes to really get into a band.

At least by going your supporting Ross and you can always bend his ear in person about getting Heavier bands to play, you dont really have a leg to stand on if you dont attend gigs he puts on , he has to build on the crowds that do turn up rather than the one's who might.

Here why dont you turn up specially so you can join me and my merry band of men ( but could be women :) ) in petitioning Ross to get Napalm Death back to Aberdeen, they have a new album coming out dont you know :up:[/quote']

New cd? Fuck yeah!! Bring napalm death up that would own, oh and the rest of your reply i totally agree with

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the people wanted to go to the gigs of the bands they would go. The problem with Drakes was the lack of marketing and promotion for the bands that played there. It's sad to see it go' date=' but most people will not go to see gigs of bands they've never heard of, fact of life.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

And thus with one reply you have managed to show the sheer ignorance of alot of the people in the aberdeen scene, fact alot of these people don't bother checking out these bands. Thus hails the end product with drakes closing down and a part of the aberdeen music community going with it, fuck all you scener cunts

Guest crime-is-for-dorks
Well I hope you know something that we don't.

I know something you don't. It's called 'how to make a band look professional in 3 easy steps'.

Step 1. It's not a good idea to shout over a mic to comment on a song/riff a band have just played at your venue.

Step 2. If I pay 600 quid just for a guitar amp head, I want to use it, not your 'house amp' that costs about half the price and gives around a third of the quality

Step 3. I know which parts of my songs require the use of either the clean or distorted channel of my amp, therefore, I'll stamp on the switch when need be, you shouldn't, oh, and for the half an hour I'm playing, I own the stage, it might be your venue, but this is my slot, so lets not interfere, eh?

Just a few things I've observed over the last few months of attending Moorings gigs.

I know something you don't. It's called 'how to make a band look professional in 3 easy steps'.

Step 1. It's not a good idea to shout over a mic to comment on a song/riff a band have just played at your venue.

Step 2. If I pay 600 quid just for a guitar amp head' date=' I want to use it, not your 'house amp' that costs about half the price and gives around a third of the quality

Step 3. I know which parts of my songs require the use of either the clean or distorted channel of my amp, therefore, I'll stamp on the switch when need be, you shouldn't, oh, and for the half an hour I'm playing, I own the stage, it might be your venue, but this is my slot, so lets not interfere, eh?

Just a few things I've observed over the last few months of attending Moorings gigs.[/quote']

Well as you seemingly don't want to play the Moorings again, is this yet anther example of MMw making friends and influencing people ?

The Moorings has the best sound of any venue in Aberdeen bar none, and a lot of that is to do with Flash's commitment to creating a good venue with great sound. If you dont like it then don't play. I've also attended quite a few Moorings gig and have heard nothing but a professional sound and never heard any complaints from anyone about the way he runs it, if you have a problem with him and the way he does it, whats the point in making it on here ? Email him privately or go and see him in the Moorings.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest crime-is-for-dorks
Well as you seemingly don't want to play the Moorings again' date=' is this yet anther example of MMw making friends and influencing people ?

The Moorings has the best sound of any venue in Aberdeen bar none, and a lot of that is to do with Flash's commitment to creating a good venue with great sound. If you dont like it then don't play. I've also attended quite a few Moorings gig and have heard nothing but a professional sound and never heard any complaints from anyone about the way he runs it, if you have a problem with him and the way he does it, whats the point in making it on here ? Email him privately or go and see him in the Moorings.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Oh shoosh you! It was nothing more than a light-hearted enforcement of an opinion held by myself, an individual. It has nothing to do with My Mind's Weapon in any way, shape or form, the fact I'm a member of said band is irrelevant, their are 5 of us, believe it or not, opinions differ.

There are several venues I could quite easily name, in my own humble opinion, that I think are superior to the Moorings in terms of sound quality. I have no reservations about the fact that the Moorings is a very well ran establishent, the length of time it's been on the go speak in volumes of that. My criticisms are solely based on what I've witnessed with my own eyes in regards to live music, and what I regard as the professional running of such a thing.

Apologies if I've offended anyone, but I'd much prefer to be up front with my views, as opposed to the nod and smile attitude adopted by some. :help:

Stuart, I don't know you at all, I've never met you, but I'd quite willingly spot your enterance fee to a gig of ours and buy you a pint mate, just to show that we're not so bad after all :cheers: . *chortle chortle* Playing rock stars indeed. :nono:

Much Love, :kiss:

James Alexander Bruce :angel:

(not that jamesy weapon, he's a nasty piece of work, self-importance ridden, arrogant twat.)

((who I've never met))

I know where mr bruce is coming from.

I did think the moorings was the best place for sound in aberdeen up until a few weeks ago.

Flash i know its your venue and you can do things how you want but i really dont like this whole sound check just as you go on stage. I fail to see how you can get a proper sound for a band when all you have done prior to them playing is line checked the amps. Since this has happened i have seen a decrease in the sound quality in the moorings unfortunately.

Step 2. If I pay 600 quid just for a guitar amp head' date=' I want to use it, not your 'house amp' that costs about half the price and gives around a third of the quality

[/quote']

Had you bothered to read the sticky thread in the Moorings forum then you'd see that our policy on bringing and using your own amps changed MONTHS ago (you can thank Rob Karloff, GraemeC and CraigDeadenstereo for convincing me to U-turn on that one). Guitarists are now encouraged to use their own gear. The original policy was wrong, that's clear to me now.

Step 3. I know which parts of my songs require the use of either the clean or distorted channel of my amp' date=' therefore, I'll stamp on the switch when need be, you shouldn't, oh, and for the half an hour I'm playing, I own the stage, it might be your venue, but this is my slot, so lets not interfere, eh?

[/quote']

OK you got me. Appologies to the Lost guitarist because I interpreted that comment as coming from the person actually involved in that incident. I'm sorry now that I was duped into relating details of it because anything that occurs on stage is best left on stage.

Rearrange the sentence with "venue", "stage" and "own" and we arrive at a the real thinking behind your post.

Just a few things I've observed over the last few months of attending Moorings gigs.

Attending is as close as you'll ever get.

BTW I was hoping Ross was hinting at something like Drakes relocating to new premises.

That's the way i see it' date=' Ian Archer played there to about 10 people then 3 or 4 months later played Drummonds to a lot more, primarily down to press and promotion. I've hardly seen any gig really well promoted for Drakes except in the listings leaflet and on here.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I think it all depends whats on. I dont think any gigs at Drummonds are well promoted, it's just lucky because of its location.

Guest crime-is-for-dorks
If a bands chooses to play a novelty song like the Hokey Cokey then yes I'll continue to joke about it over the mic. If it's any consolation some bastard stole my mic on Sunday night... so I'm temp speechless.

Had bothered to ask the promoter' date=' or myself, or read the sticky thread in the Moorings forum then you'd see that our policy on bringing and using your own amps changed MONTHS ago (you can thank Rob Karloff, GraemeC and CraigDeadenstereo for convincing me to U-turn on that one). Guitarists are now encouraged to use their own gear. The original policy was wrong, that's clear to me now.

You were playing through a pod. For some reason your signal level suddenly dropped, and you were obviously struggling to hear yourself on stage. The amp footswitch was laying over in the corner, under the stage curtain upside down. I figured it had been accidentally knocked over and dunted you onto the distortion channel. I jumped up on stage, checked the settings on the distortion channel and:

the treble was turned right down to 1

the mid was turned down to 2

the bass was turned up to 10

the gain was turned up to 8

the overdrive was on

Not generally considered pod friendly settings... However the clean channel appeared to have been setup flat to work with a pod. So I pressed the footswitch and all of a sudden we could all hear your guitar. I turned to you (and in all honety you were looking happy to see me - weren't you), and said "Can you hear yourself OK now? Is that better?". You nodded and thanked me.

Back at the desk the level was looking about right, and I notice that for the rest of the gig you left things that way.

Soooo, ummm, all this was a big mistake on my part right? Next time I'll leave you to stew.

Fair enough you didn't have the best of gigs. Last time went much better. Blame me if you want. If you want to talk over anything with me, then just come down and see me. I don't mean that in a bad way, and I'll even buy you a beer. But we are waaaay off topic here.

This is my final word on the subject. Should you decide to strike back then you and I will not be friends any more. For now this is water under the bridge. End.

BTW I was hoping Ross was hinting at something like Drakes relocating to new premises.[/quote']

I think you're a tad confused, I was a spectator at said gig, not in any of the bands, I play guitar for My Mind's Weapon, we've never played at the Moorings. And my criticisms were levelled over things I've observed over a number of gigs and not just the actions taken towards the Lost rhythm guitarist. I think the whole linechecking directly before playing thing, when everyone has already arrived at the venue to watch a band, is silly. Not only is it rushed, with unneccessary pressure appiled to a band to start playing, but it's also unprofessional. I thought the 'Lost' sound as a whole, as well as, Crashdown, Weeping Jesus, Broken Sunshine and a host of others, was poor, like everything had totally bled into one another, I'm well aware of a soundguys 'shit in, shit out' policy in terms of tones and amp settings, but it was way past that point.

Anyways, that's my opinion, I'm out from here on in, as I said, apologies if it upsets anyone, but it's exactly the way I see it, I know my thoughts hold little bearing, but hopefully some good will come from a little criticism. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Jamesy Weapon.

EDIT: Due to the case of mistaken identity I've deleted my comments which would not otherwise have been aired. Appologies to all members of Lost, I'll make it up to you.

As far as the sound goes, here's someone else who was at the same gig:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20589

This downloadable recording was made without the benefit of a soundcheck:

http://music.mp3lizard.com/deadenstereo/

So we'll let the sound do the talking.

It seems to me there's some axe grinding going on here.

Guest crime-is-for-dorks
So that's why you appologised for your bands performance after the gig then?

The lack of soundcheck in no way affected The Ghost of Bongo who had keyboards and 3 vocal mics to deal with.

Your guitarists did not co-operate with me during the level check' date=' so why would a soundcheck have made any difference? I mean I can sit there till I'm blue in the face asking "OK lets here both guitars together" - gee might have been a good idea for them to humour me.

The only times I see you in The Moorings is when you are booked to play a gig, so do me a favour and don't go commenting on the sound quality the other 49 weeks of the year.

We've been 25% busier on gig nights since we ceased soundchecks. So perhaps not everyone shares your hearing. Want to come and listen to the raw mic data from the recording and we can easily settle this whole issue? It's like CCTV for the sound engineer.

Here's someone else who was at the same gig:

[url']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20589

This downloadable recording was made without the benefit of a soundcheck:

http://music.mp3lizard.com/deadenstereo/

So we'll let the sound do the talking.

If you believe the sound and facilites are better elsewhere then perhaps you should focus on playing that other place, cos in all honesty I can't be arsed with this two faced bullshit.

Again with the confusion. He's also not in Lost.

If the people wanted to go to the gigs of the bands they would go. The problem with Drakes was the lack of marketing and promotion for the bands that played there. It's sad to see it go' date=' but most people will not go to see gigs of bands they've never heard of, fact of life.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

well we try (i guess thats 'tried' now!) our best....but with zero budget for just about anything it was quite difficult. also, its not easy to punt 6 nights worth of gigs every week as much as they should be punted, try it....

sharon

That's the way i see it' date=' Ian Archer played there to about 10 people then 3 or 4 months later played Drummonds to a lot more, primarily down to press and promotion. I've hardly seen any gig really well promoted for Drakes except in the listings leaflet and on here.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

when ian archer played drakes it was the first time he'd ever played in aberdeen. apart from a cd, a website and a few posters, i had no idea who he was. its like that a lot of the time someone plays in a city for the first time

and yes i agree with kirk, there was more people at the drummonds gig because of the location i reckon...(probably not listening to him mind you...)

sharon

and yes i agree with kirk' date=' there was more people at the drummonds gig because of the location i reckon...(probably not listening to him mind you...)

sharon[/quote']

yeh think of the ammount of people that walk past Drummonds everyday compared to the ammount of people that walk past Drakes.

You are kidding right?

No I'm very serious. Your original message was worded as if you were the Lost guitarist. Had I not been under that impression I would not have related those details.

It is a relief to learn that you are not the Lost guitarist; he seemed like an OK guy.

Now please delete the irrelevant sections of my quoted comments from your post.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Im not going to pay 9 to see a band i don't like .... or to show my support for the "scene"

Im sticking with the gigs drakes used to host all thanks to Dave Rowlands.

2 - 3 to see bands from all over europe that are actually different

You're absolutely spot on here. Poor Dave, what WAS he thinking, putting on bands that aren't covered in the music press and haven't got their releases available in the shops where you just walk in and passively consume? 9 a fucking ticket? Fuck corporate HC.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

By the way, this isn't a dig at Ross and all his efforts involved, it's the trendoids who go and see "name" bands but weren't seen for fucking dust at any Black Box gigs.

By the way' date=' this isn't a dig at Ross and all his efforts involved, it's the trendoids who go and see "name" bands but weren't seen for fucking dust at any Black Box gigs.[/quote']

Excuse me!!!! but did i not speak to you after the Andy G final bash at Drakes. :nono:

...it is pretty laughable the amount of great gigs i've been to in Aberdeen that have been poorly attended. Viking Skull, sikTh, Murder One, Johnny Truant, Raging Speedhorn (in Glow303), Vacant Stare, Earthtone9, Charger, Matter, Minus and Backyard Babies all have played with plenty room to swing a cat :down:

I always feel guilty when this happens and i always feel promoters think why do i bother, that is why i attend gigs that i cant be a 100% certain is my cup of tea, its also a good night out. :cheers:

Mind you when its Dave promoting you can be pretty certainly you like some of the bands as there just such bizzare bills :up:

I still have my fingers crossed for Narcosis to still be on somehow in 2 weeks time :rockon: