aberdeen-music

Lead Channle Settings for...

Tav

run a pedal into you rrecording machine without an amp.

That's pure pre-amp. Similar technique used for The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson and Territorial Pissings - Nirvana.

Persoanlly I think it's a shite sound. Impossible to do live I reckon and very body-less. Suppose it works on the recording, but think how good it could have sounded with a decent sound!

Craig

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

run a pedal into you rrecording machine without an amp.

That's pure pre-amp. Similar technique used for The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson and Territorial Pissings - Nirvana.

Persoanlly I think it's a shite sound. Impossible to do live I reckon and very body-less. Suppose it works on the recording, but think how good it could have sounded with a decent sound!

Craig

I am talking about the live sound...it was fucking awesom...kind light and gritty that with plenty of sustain...

Guest redmeat

Jonny Greenwood's distortion sound comes from using a Marshall Shredmaster Pedal (discontinued - probably the closest you'll get is a jackhammer) going into a Fender stage 80 transistor combo amp from the 1980s. (though he uses a Vox AC30 or Fender Twin for clean/OD sounds) The unique thing about the Stage 80 amp is that it has a built in limiter which can give you gain and sustain but without too much messy distortion.

If you listen to his live sound, it really doesn't have that much distortion which is how it sounds so clear and powerful.

Probably the nearest thing you could do is run a compressor pedal in the FX loop of your amp (if it has one) and back off the distortion.

I demo'd some pedals in R&B a while back and played through a new Fender SS amp (I think it was a Princeton DSP) which had a built in limiter. mmm

The DI'd distortion sound is interesting but is not what Jonny Greenwood uses. Interestingly, David Bowie's ex-guitarist Reeves Gabrels used to occasionally DI a fuzzpedal into the PA when playing live.

The pain.

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

I have a Shredmaster pedal. I'll sell you it if you want. It's not in very good (cosmetic) nick but works fine. Has some Meatallica/AiC stickers etc. Used to be owned by Justin of Risactonia.

How much would you be selling it for? If Tav's not interested that is.

The way that sound was achieved on the recording was by placing the microphone(s) so close that they were touching on the cone of the speaker. Not usually recommended, but worked a treat in this case!! I can't remeber the other techniques used, but I did read an interview with the recording engineer on that track. Very intresting. It must be in a back issue of "Sound on Sound" somewhere!

Badger