aberdeen-music

mixing brands

imprinted

does anyone know if there's any problems likely to surface if i use say a Dimarzio Neck Pickup and a Seymour Duncan Bridge Pickup as I'm planning on doing some things to my own guitar once i get a new one for my birthday (and i have to pay at least half of it *grumblegrumble* some nice 21st that will be...) and improving the pickups is the first port of call. It's an ibanez DTX-120CB i have just now incidentally so it'll be two Humbuckers i'm planning on getting.

As long as both are either passive or active then you should have no problems...although theres no telling what the mixed sound will be like...and also you want to make sure they have similar outputs volume wise. Mouse will tell you that his yamaha single coils and Dimarzio don't get on together when it comes to volume.

Well then as long as one isn't noticeabley more powerfull than other you'll be fine...although in specs bridge will always have more output you'd prob. best compare the neck unit you want to the neck unit that should accompany the bridge one....if that makes sense? and see how they compare out wise.

to get equal volume levels, i think the bridge needs to be wound a bit hotter, due to the fact teh strings move less when vibrating nearer the bridge

there is quite a volume difference in the two pickups on my tele, and i actually like it that way, it gives me a difference in dirt from my amp, so with the gain channel set lowish i can go from clean - dirt by flicking the selecter, and there is quite a difference in sound on the clean channel too, i prefer this to two samey sounding pickups...

as for pickups, mixing and matching brands is fine, the only problem would be mixing active (like emg pickups) and passive (basically most pickups) as the output and impedances are completely different between the two, mixing dimarzio and sds should be fine

think of all the guitars that have just had one pickup replaced not a full set... they still sound fine

David

Give the guys at Bareknuckle pickups a call. They will be able to tell you everything you need to know and also sell some of the best pickups around. Swineshead are also a good port of call rather than just looking at Dimarzio and SD and what not.

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

www.swinesheadpickups.com

Both are very good and the Swineshead pickups are very cheap but very good handwound pickups.