aberdeen-music

The List top 50 Scottish Bands

jester1470

i guess it's something to do with forming in scotland as well. snow patrol formed in dundee and have always been based in scotland. talking heads formed in new york and were never based in scotland. same goes for AC\DC. i'd say it's more tenuous to claim them as 'Scottish' rather than snow patrol' date=' who obviously aren't born scottish but formed scottish. following? i know what i mean anyway. :)[/quote']

i Would have agreed if it hadn't included bands like the Eurythmics etc who mess up the theory. I think its just whatever they decided at the time was Scottish.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea but didn't david byrne move to new york when he was like 9 yet annie lennox lived in scotland for longer didn't she?

to be honest it's more likely just that people don't instantly think of AC\DC or talking heads as related to Scotland whereas Annie Lennox is more obvious. it was a poll after all, i'm sure if they'd been voted for they would have been in.

yea but didn't david byrne move to new york when he was like 9 yet annie lennox lived in scotland for longer didn't she?

to be honest it's more likely just that people don't instantly think of AC\DC or talking heads as related to Scotland whereas Annie Lennox is more obvious. it was a poll after all' date=' i'm sure if they'd been voted for they would have been in.[/quote']

I think you're probably right, its to do with tbe greater sense of 'Scottishness' around the artists, at least they had the sense not to let Rod Stewart in ;)

Cheers

Stuart

• 4 years later...

*shucks*

and, of course.... :O

If iwas blowing my own trumpet the Lets Go travel guides to Britain & Ireland had this to say in the late 90s and early 2000s..

"Although mainstream rock claimed popularity in the early 90s, producing groups like The Wake, The Proclaimers and Aberdeen's Kitchen Cynics, Scottish punk rages once again,"

(never sure what drugs they were on when they wrote that!)

On the debit side, The Great Scots Musicography says...

"Possibly the only Scottish act to have the bulk of their records released in Germany only, the cornily-named Kitchen Cynics issued a series of limited cassettes and occasional vinyl on the continent over the period 1988-1995.After signing off with two EPs, 'Mimosa' and 'Westminster Chimes', the Cynical Alan's recording career seemingly went down the kitchen plughole" :(

I couldn't be arsed checking back to see what I originally said on this thread, but my personal 5 Scottish faves would be...

old-timey selection

Ivor Cutler,

Incredible String Band

Bert Jansch

The Poets

Shop Assistants

current stuff

Alasdair Roberts

One Ensemble of Daniel Padden

Belle & Sebastian

Dick Gaughan

Kathryn Sawers

(also enjoying Dumb Instrument, Meursault & Wounded Knee at the mo')

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone ever tried Spam Fritters?

Good God, those things are miraculous.

Especially if you want a cardiac arrest.

I love a Spam Fritter Butty.

Chipshops up here don't seem to do Potato Fritters like they do in Yorkshire, which for some reason are called Scollops (not Scallops as in the fish). They were usually the size of a burger, and only costed about 20p. A scollop butty would set you back about 35p. Soak it in vinegar and you're on your way to the hospital with no regrets.

I miss scollops.