aberdeen-music

Choosing Highers...

A.Pel

Im currently doing Maths, English, Human Biology, Modern Studies and Info Systems. I didn't really know what i wanted to do either, so i took a range of subjects so that i would have options, which in theory i guess is a good idea. Unfortunately, i hate doing info systems, maths and modern studies (even though i liked them at standard grade) and ive now realised my ambition to be a scientist so i should have taken higher chemistry instead of one of those. I also should have taken something else i actually like doing, like art. I can easily do them next year i suppose though.

But i agree with other people, Info systems is easy and Human biology is ace!

Anyways, my advice would be to pick wisely, take something you enjoy, whilst keeping your options open, but maybe take two sciences...i think i just kind of contradicted myself...oh well...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im currently doing Maths' date=' English, Human Biology, Modern Studies and Info Systems. I didn't really know what i wanted to do either, so i took a range of subjects so that i would have options, which in theory i guess is a good idea. Unfortunately, i hate doing info systems, maths and modern studies (even though i liked them at standard grade) and ive now realised my ambition to be a scientist so i should have taken higher chemistry instead of one of those. I also should have taken something else i actually like doing, like art. I can easily do them next year i suppose though.

But i agree with other people, Info systems is easy and Human biology is ace!

Anyways, my advice would be to pick wisely, take something you enjoy, whilst keeping your options open, but maybe take two sciences...i think i just kind of contradicted myself...oh well...[/quote']

Information Systems is the educational equivalent to this:

2983.gif

hey' date=' looking for a little help from you experinced ones out there.

Next month I will be picking my subjects for higher.

I do not have a fucking clue.

At the moment, I am an aspiring dentist, last week I was an art teacher. I have a tendancy to change my mind often.

Therefore, I 'd like to choose subjects that keep my options open. We have to take English. I would like to take 5 subjects.

I'm thinking.. art, chemistry, biology, english and then either physics (easiest subject in the world) or maths.

How hard are these subjects?? Reckon I'm fucked up?[/quote']

just pick the courses you really want to do, or whichever you need for a job, work really hard at it and leave before 6th year cos it sucks and is a waste of time. thats my advice, i pissed about in 5th year and yeah not good

do not (i repeat) do NOT whatEVER you do, do info systems. it's a complete bitch and it's like learning an entire new language and next year they're restructuring the course to make it more difficult. art's okay if you've got a lot of free time. english is ace & pretty easy. the sciences are okay providing you've done them at standard grade. RMPS is interesting and fairly easy. modern studies is okay providing you're a bit clued up on politics. you'd probably be best off taking two scienes, maths, english and something else though:) plus, you always have sixth year. i fagged around in both fifth and sixth year which was gay cos i probably could have got good results if i actually tried instead of sitting in the common room reading the nme, eating tahi chili crisps and tying cans of irn bru to strings.

i am revising for my higher prelims at the mo' date=' im taking physics (ok if you can understand it) english (akward but you have to get the hang of it and then its ok) art (fucking ace!) info systems (alot of strange words to get around but if you understand the terms then its not too bad) and psychology but i dunno if they do that at many other schools, a woman comes from college to do it, its ace though

good luck and all that jazz then and i hope you pick good ones[/quote']

i take it you got told that the whole higher psychology class failed last year? haha.

...well. as far as i know everyone failed.

Haha, do this, do that. Don't listen to these people. A few of them says English is the work of the devil... I quite enjoyed it.

DO WHATEVER YOU THINK YOU WILL ENJOY!

I did higher Music, Modern Studies, History, English and Geography. I'd say they were all quite hard work but that's obvious. History was the only one I didn't enjoy. And pick ones that have decent teachers teaching them! My English, Geography and Modern Studies teachers were ace, and it made the world of a difference.