aberdeen-music

Albums which changed your life...

unbroken

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think gridlocks point is that it's too obvious' date=' it doesn't have anything to do with when it was made. i don't see what the obviousness of music or the mainstream values that it has have to do with whether or not it has merit as life changing music(hmm, not sure if that sentence works but i'm gonna run with it anyway). if it changes your life it changes your life, it doesn't matter if it's nirvana or philip jeck.

my philosophy has always been that even if it starts with shit it can lead onto gold. someone could get into a band who are considered mainstream but they could hear a little bit of something more interesting in it and seek out that sound leading them onto ever more interesting paths of music that push more and more boundaries. but did the end product change their life or was it the original artist that they heard that sound in?[/quote']

i always agree with Dave.

all of the albums in my list were chosen because when i bought them i was really excited about listening to them because it was something new to my ears... and after i heard a sound that i liked.. i found more bands that were doing similar things... and then i found another sound that i liked.. so i got that bands album... and then i found other bands like them.. and got their stuff.. and so on..

- i also missed out Mad Capsule Markets - OSC/DIS and Tool - Aenima

it's wot i like and i'm sticking by it!

:up:

It's an interesting point' date=' allow me to indulge in an analogy here. Personally, I don't find the Mona Lisa, Van Goghs Sunflowers, or Edvard Munch's Scream to be particularly inspiring, stunning or relevant, beyond the realm of the study of art history. They are museum pieces, they represent the forms of the past.

If someone said to me, "yeah man I'm an art lover, and I'm really into van gogh, that shit is amazing!", I would simply laugh at them and consider them an idiot and a philistine, it's as if they had picked up a copy of the bluffers guide to art and were reciting it verbatim.

This is no different than saying "wow pink floyd dark side of the moon, is amazing" or "hendrix is amazing" or "metallica changed my life". It's cheap and it's cliched and it's absurd, and completely disconnected from reality.[/quote']

you know, you speak a load of fucking arse.

at the time,Pink Floyd weren't clichd.

and even if they were, if someone likes them, they like them. its a fuckign opinion. not every cunt is a revolutionary muscisian, you absolute penarse.

get off your fuckig high horse and accept that some people like popular clichd music. Music is an opinion, you dont need to be a master of what it is to appreciate it, and most people aren;t, leading to normal/non amazing music changing their life. justg cos you think you're the uber god of intellectuality(sp?) dont change nothing other than the fact that before this thread, we might have thought nothing of you, whereas now, we think you're a pretentious egotistical greasy cock hound.

metallica did change my life.when I was 6 I heard And Justice for All,a dn I still remember sitting there listen to the double bass right befor the outro. I think they're guff now, but thats besides the point. you obviosuly cant understand a simple question, so basically, in the style of the transformers

"Me Gridlock is a total and utter wanker."

PS I know his name was Grimlock, not Gridlock, but whatever, you're still a penis.

^ I agree... didnt get to say it first...

shame on you forever gridlock. shame.

err yeh i didnt add bartender and the theif single disk 2 life at cardiff castle... that started me getting into music... and also Tool in general changed the way i thought as well... oh their inuendo's (thats not how you spell it...is it?)

edit...

gridlock your just horrible... your probably like one of those badies out of batman that like people calling them 'horrible'

i really dont like your views, and im surprised if you have any real friends. really cause this whole pretencious view that if you like mainstream stuff because its all you know, your automatically 'scum' (insert you stupid opinion here)... it sounds like one of your life morales. how horrible can a person be

gees

you obviously can't understand a simple question

In all fairness (and I'm not defending Gridlock here - his arguments are extremely flawed), there seems to be very few people who have understood the simple question of "Albums Which Changed Your Life...", since most people are listing huge numbers of albums, some saying "this one made me want to listen to everything Metallica ever did" etc etc. As I've said earlier, this isn't life changing, unless perhaps someone was planning to be a doctor, listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall and then said "Aaaaargggh!!! Now I know my true meaning in life! I MUST BE A MUSICIAN!!!!!!" and quit what they were doing in order to embark upon a music career.

I mean, I've yet to see anyone saying "Public Enemy: Fear Of A Black Planet (it made me see how senseless my racism was)" or anything like that. THAT would be life changing. Fuck's sake, even "Band Aid (it made me start giving 50% of my income to charity)" would be better than "very Limp Bizkit album (their reely goood)" (sic). The VAST majority of people here are just listing albums which they really, really like, which gives the impression that perhaps music hasn't changed their life at all...

Of course, it could just be me being pedantic. But when I opened up this thread in the first place, I did this :rolleyes: upon seeing a wasted chance for a potentially interesting topic.

In all fairness (and I'm not defending Gridlock here - his arguments are extremely flawed)' date=' there seems to be very few people who have understood the simple question of "Albums Which Changed Your Life...", since most people are listing huge numbers of albums, some saying "this one made me want to listen to everything Metallica ever did" etc etc. As I've said earlier, this isn't life changing, unless perhaps someone was planning to be a doctor, listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall and then said "Aaaaargggh!!! Now I know my true meaning in life! I MUST BE A MUSICIAN!!!!!!" and quit what they were doing in order to embark upon a music career.

I mean, I've yet to see anyone saying "Public Enemy: Fear Of A Black Planet (it made me see how senseless my racism was)" or anything like that. THAT would be life changing. Fuck's sake, even "Band Aid (it made me start giving 50% of my income to charity)" would be better than "very Limp Bizkit album (their reely goood)" (sic). The VAST majority of people here are just listing albums which they really, really like, which gives the impression that perhaps music hasn't changed their life at all...

Of course, it could just be me being pedantic. But when I opened up this thread in the first place, I did this :rolleyes: upon seeing a wasted chance for a potentially interesting topic.[/quote']

eh and what. you mean you haven't changed your attitudes towards life after listening to one song, you know wether it be relaxing composition or interesting and stimulating lyrics..etc

i mean yeh you could treat music as being....'oh yeh that sounds nice' but then i duno life would be so boring without taking things seriously... although you could just take the piss out of the people who take it too seriously...

eh yeh

eh and what. you mean you haven't changed your attitudes towards life after listening to one song' date=' you know wether it be relaxing composition or interesting and stimulating lyrics..etc

i mean yeh you could treat music as being....'oh yeh that sounds nice' but then i duno life would be so boring without taking things seriously... although you could just take the piss out of the people who take it too seriously...

eh yeh[/quote']

No no no no! On about page 4 of this thread, I gave a semi-detailed account of how the Manics' albums (especially The Holy Bible) have changed my life. That's the thing, I think there are albums out there that can be genuinly life changing. But most people here are just telling us their favourite albums.

I have to say though, I do think that a life changing album has to have excellent lyrics which give food for thought. But that's another debate altogether.

No no no no! On about page 4 of this thread' date=' I gave a semi-detailed account of how the Manics' albums (especially The Holy Bible) have changed my life. That's the thing, I think there are albums out there that can be [b']genuinly life changing. But most people here are just telling us their favourite albums.

I have to say though, I do think that a life changing album has to have excellent lyrics which give food for thought. But that's another debate altogether.

someone could hear an instrumental recording and decide they wish to learn a musical instrument because of that. Said person could then make a career from playing that instrument. Which is life-changing, I'd say

someone could hear an instrumental recording and decide they wish to learn a musical instrument because of that. Said person could then make a career from playing that instrument. Which is life-changing' date=' I'd say[/quote']

I agree 100%, which is why I said this:

perhaps someone was planning to be a doctor, listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall and then said "Aaaaargggh!!! Now I know my true meaning in life! I MUST BE A MUSICIAN!!!!!!" and quit what they were doing in order to embark upon a music career.

However, albums with lyrics are, on the whole, more likely to be truly life-changing.

instrumental music can be just as life changing as music with lyrics. how can it not be? it's all music, an artform that has meaning and passion flowing through every note(or it fucking should have anyway) and that's what makes things life changing.

godspeed changed my life. in many many ways. and they're instrumental. aphex twin changed my life. mogwai changed my life. both mainly instrumental. even instrumental versions of hip hop albums have changed my life by making me listen to music differently and frankly if music is a massive part of your life if something makes you look at it differently your life has been changed.

99% of lyrics are whiny meaningless shit anyway. fuck lyrics.

Do you want a gold star or something?

I don't understand why you think an album has more potentional to be life-changing' date=' if it has lyrical content. Please explain.[/quote']

No I was just taking the piss with the spelling.

Anyway, when you put it like that, it's extremely obvious. By having lyrical content, it automatically has more potential to be life changing, if only because of the fact there are words and music instead of just music.

Music can show emotion much more effectively than most lyrics, but it's pretty hard to tell people what's wrong with the world without using words.

No I was just taking the piss with the spelling.

Anyway' date=' when you put it like that, it's extremely obvious. By having lyrical content, it automatically has more potential to be life changing, if only because of the fact there are words and music instead of just music.

Music can show emotion much more effectively than most lyrics, but it's pretty hard to tell people what's wrong with the world without using words.[/quote']

sign language?