aberdeen-music

The Capitol Theatre?

jonty84

Although I have seen a couple of decent gigs at the Capitol....Average White Band, Stones, Black Crowes, by far the greatest musical experiences of my youth were at the Music Hall....Taste, Rory Gallagher, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Bowie, Jethro Tull, Genesis (supporting Lindisfarne!!), Savoy Brown (supporting Quo), etc,etc.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was Runrig and Del Amitri I saw there. Great venue' date=' it is a sad loss to aberdeen when we lost that place it was the best mid sized venue we had and brought up a lot of different acts.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

i saw del amitri. i was 14, and my mum had tickets but couldn't be arsed going so she sent me and a friend to the gig, even though we'd only ever heard about 2 del amitri songs. we were the youngest people there and spent the whole time in the bar after the songs we knew had been played.

Did Van Der Graaf Generator play at that gig as well as I've read about this Charisma label package tour taking place circa 1971.

No...I think it was about October 72....about 70% of the audience left when Lindesfarne came on...Genesis were quite well established by this time and it has always seemed a bit strange to me for those bands to tour together...

G...

I saw Iron Maiden/Wolfsbane there in on the No Prayer for the Dying tour in 1990. Was my first ever gig. too.

That was the first professional gig I worked.

I also worked the last gig at the Capitol, the bootleg beatles. Dec 95 I think it was.

Mr Cynic, Husker Du at the venue. Me too.

Did Van Der Graaf Generator play at that gig as well as I've read about this Charisma label package tour taking place circa 1971.

Unfortunately Van Der Graaf generator were replaced by Rab Noakes in Aberdeen.

Husker Du was a weird night for me....I was in an unusually bad humour, and didn't enjoy them as much as I should have.

GraemeC.....I was at a few of those Music Hall gigs, too. Others I went to included Yes, Curved Air, Strawbs, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, a few Van Morrisons, the Cramps, the Fall (I think), Gary Moore Band, Debbie Harry.

Does anyone remember the East Neuk's upstairs gigs?.....some not bad stuff, of a freakbeat-ish type (eg the Thanes). Cavern Mike's band at the time often supported.

Back to the Capitol...I forced myself to go and see Gillan, but purely to see Randy California of Spirit supporting. There were some cool package tour things, too, like the one with Bo Diddley, the Marvelettes, Frankie Ford and Rick Nelson.

GraemeC.....I was at a few of those Music Hall gigs' date=' too. Others I went to included Yes, Curved Air, Strawbs, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, a few Van Morrisons, the Cramps, the Fall (I think), Gary Moore Band, Debbie Harry.

Back to the Capitol...I forced myself to go and see Gillan, but purely to see Randy California of Spirit supporting. There were some cool package tour things, too, like the one with Bo Diddley, the Marvelettes, Frankie Ford and Rick Nelson.[/quote']

1. I hope that was Fairport WITH Sandy Denny on the grand piano on the left of the stage

2. Was it The Fall circa Aug 1978 in a smaller offshoot room of the MH, when a female road crew kept jumping on stage to sort the lazy bastard(s) amps?

3. Snap about Randy California & managed to speak to him for five minutes (most of the 100 people there coudn't give a shit about Gillan, most came to pay repects to one of the

GREATS.........RIP (its natures way)

1. I hope that was Fairport WITH Sandy Denny on the grand piano on the left of the stage

2. Was it The Fall circa Aug 1978 in a smaller offshoot room of the MH' date=' when a female road crew kept jumping on stage to sort the lazy bastard(s) amps?

3. Snap about Randy California & managed to speak to him for five minutes (most of the 100 people there coudn't give a shit about Gillan, most came to pay repects to one of the

GREATS.........RIP (its natures way)[/quote']

It was the Sandy version ("Rising for the Moon" tour)

I'm not 100% sure I saw the Fall at the Music Hall. I've seen them a few times, and amn't totally definite, but I think it was later?

Thats aberdeen band used to play there' date=' Can't really remember the name but they dressed up in drag and stuff and did covers, They were always playing in the soda fountain (NOW BELUGAS) on a thursday night and got paid a fortune for gigs. The guitarist used to work in Bruce millers. I only remember that as it was a xmas gig they did and my girlfriend at the time knew the singer so she dragged me to it.

I actually think i was the only guy there!!!

God i just can't remember the name of the band though :rolleyes:[/quote']

The Bloody Marys.

Yep...saw them there' date=' too.(cept they were just "The President's Men") I also saw them at that place near the Prince of Wales....the St Nicholas church hall placey.....I think it was called Cobweb??? It was demolished when they put in thise flats on Correction Wynd.[/quote']

Cobweb was a great place even tho it didn't last long.......

och aye

I went to the Cobweb, St Kays,the Northern Hotel,the Station Hotel,the Amatola, and lots of other one off gigs in unusual locations, and even saw Jonathan Richman and Positive Noise at a place next to the links golf course, they were put on by Duncan Hendry, whom I still consider to be one of Aberdeens best promoters of the 80s/90s, he put on loads of gigs and had a great Alternative Festival or two.

I used to roadie for The Battery Brides, The Screaming Ab Dabs and Anthem , I only wish I could remember more, but I always lived the sexndrugsnrocknroll lifestyle so most of it is just a blur.

Toxic Ephex were one of the best local bands and still are.

The Loveless were cool, APB sucked, but Ians new band Pablo are great.

Fusion AKA Ritzy was a nae bad place to see The Waterboys, Love and Money, King Kurt etc etc, Johnny Marrs guitar playing was good but I did not like the Smiths.

Saw Echo and the Bunnymen at The Caird Hall, still one of my best gigs ever, Pete De fritas was my biggest inspiration as a teenager ,his drumming was superb.

• 12 years later...
On 02/01/2005 at 12:48 PM, skuzzlebutt said:

saw the smiths there twice 1983 the first time... i think.... bought tickets for black sabbath...who wre going to play there....but the gig got cancelled...got our money back...deep purple played there...and correct me if i am wrong....but when the stones played the capitol all tickets were sold in under 1 hour....yep...t'was a fine venue....

On 02/01/2005 at 3:47 PM, Lame Guitarist said:

capital

Black sabbath supposedly played there many many years ago and had a support band who kinda stole the show from them!

That support band was Van halen when they were unknown over here in the 70's

Heard a lot about people being awestruck by ed van halens guitar playing an dave lee roth's stage presence.

Wouldna minded being at that gig.

I don't suppose ozzy remembers being there at all, He probably doesna remember the past 30 years.

Been reading this thread with interest. Hopefully I can help a little with the Black Sabbath question. Saw quite a few gigs at the capitol after moving to the North East from Leicester in 1975 as a 7 year old.

My dad was friends with a few of the members of Showaddywaddy from his teen years and we saw them on 17th May 1975 and spent time with them at the Station Hotel across from the train station (Gulid Street? I think) and the next time they toured they had had several hits by then and had upgraded to what was called the Holiday Inn (Bucksburn) latterly but at the time (1st December 1977) was called the Sheraton Hotel I believe. After that show in 1977 my family went back to the Sheraton while my Dad had a few drinks with them and sat in the bar, absolutely out of his mind, was Ozzy and, I believe, Tony Iommi. Looking back, Ozzy was smashed on something and wearing a shirt open to the waist and the biggest gold cross around his neck that I have ever seen (even to this day). So, they either played the capitol in December 1977 or that was the cancelled gig people on here are referring to.

I also saw Motorhead there on 17th March 1982 and also in 1981, though I don't know the date. In one of these, the 1981 gig I think, the curtains opened and the stage descended from the ceiling with them playing the song Bomber. As a 12 year old, I'd never seen anything like it. I distincly remember seeing Lemmy spit into the crowd from the front of the stage but not a lot else, other than it was unbelievably loud.

I also saw Thin Lizzy, Black Crowes, Simple Minds and the Average White Band there and whilst I have loads of ticket stubs from concerts over the years (mainly 1990's onwards) sadly none from the 1980's capitol gigs remain though I do have the Simple Minds stub from 1995 which I would post on here if I knew how to (it was 7th Sept 1995 and cost 16.50). I used to go to the Playhouse and the Apollo a lot with my brother too and can't remember where I saw some acts though they may have been at the capitol (maybe not) including Ian Gillan, Saxon, Ronnie James Dio and a few others.

Apologies for the length of this post, just thought I'd spew out all the info I remember in one go.

I'll speak to my brother, who now lives in New York and if he remembers anyone else we saw at the Capitol I'll post them.

Edited by tdmartin