aberdeen-music

The Capitol Theatre?

jonty84

Looking at some of my favourite British bands' websites, I've realised that a lot of them when touring and playing Aberdeen, used to play in a venue called 'The Capitol' - I was just wondering if any of the older members of the forum could tell me anything about it - and if anyone knows of a website with details on it.

Thanks

Mike

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a cinema on Union St, and is now the Chicago Rock Cafe. It had an amazing old Wurlitzer (I think) cinema organ, and I remember seeing a guy coming up from below stage while playing it. Heaps of great bands have played there over the decades. Among the bands I've seen there were the Rolling Stones, the Cure, Siouxsie & the Banshees, the Buzzcocks, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, the Kinks, Jethro Tull, Everly Bros, Van Morrison, Elvis Costello, Paul McCartney, the Smiths and Talking Heads. I've missed out tons of equally big names.

I don't know of any websites, but there was a book which came out a few years ago called (I think) "The Silver Screen in Aberdeen" which will give you the lowdown (There should be copies in the Central Library).

(It might have been "The Siver Screen in the Silver City".....something like that, anyway)

saw the smiths there twice 1983 the first time... i think.... bought tickets for black sabbath...who wre going to play there....but the gig got cancelled...got our money back...deep purple played there...and correct me if i am wrong....but when the stones played the capitol all tickets were sold in under 1 hour....yep...t'was a fine venue....

saw the smiths there twice 1983 the first time... i think.... bought tickets for black sabbath...who wre going to play there....but the gig got cancelled...got our money back...deep purple played there...and correct me if i am wrong....but when the stones played the capitol all tickets were sold in under 1 hour....yep...t'was a fine venue....

no The Smiths playes The Palais the 1st time in Aberdeen, It was the Capital the 2nd time.

Joy Division supported the Buzzcocks

Others Randy California & Ed Cassidy of SPIRIT supported Gillan their

no The Smiths playes The Palais the 1st time in Aberdeen' date=' It was the Capital the 2nd time.

Joy Division supported the Buzzcocks

Others Randy California & Ed Cassidy of SPIRIT supported Gillan their[/quote']

chilli...i'm pretty sure the smiths played twice in the capitol, maybe as much as two years apart.... both times i was there....certasinly their firt gig in aberdeen could have been in the palais....

capital

Black sabbath supposedly played there many many years ago and had a support band who kinda stole the show from them!

That support band was Van halen when they were unknown over here in the 70's

Heard a lot about people being awestruck by ed van halens guitar playing an dave lee roth's stage presence.

Wouldna minded being at that gig.

I don't suppose ozzy remembers being there at all, He probably doesna remember the past 30 years.

Black sabbath supposedly played there many many years ago and had a support band who kinda stole the show from them!

That support band was Van halen when they were unknown over here in the 70's

Heard a lot about people being awestruck by ed van halens guitar playing an dave lee roth's stage presence.

Wouldna minded being at that gig.

I don't suppose ozzy remembers being there at all' date=' He probably doesna remember the past 30 years.[/quote']

lame...

u r right, sabs did play there with the ozzy line up during 70's....the sabbath gig that was cancelled was the tony iommi line up..late 80's maybe even early 90's...i think post ronnie james....as for the evh story.... can't remember hearing that.... but yep...would have been a cracking gig...

chilli...i'm pretty sure the smiths played twice in the Capitol' date=' maybe as much as two years apart.... both times i was there....certainly their firt gig in aberdeen could have been in the palais....[/quote']

You're both right, really. The Smiths played three times in Aberdeen -

4th March 1984 in The Palace, but it was actually called Fusion then.

16th June 1984 in The Capitol.

30th September 1985 in the Capitol.

I was at the two Capitol gigs. The first one only lasted three or four songs until the crowd pulled Morrisey off the stage while he was rolling about, he took the huff and stormed off and that was it. Second one was fantastic though.

I have a feeling I have bootlegs somewhere...

You're both right' date=' really. The Smiths played three times in Aberdeen -

I was at the two Capitol gigs. The first one only lasted three or four songs until the crowd pulled Morrisey off the stage while he was rolling about, he took the huff and stormed off and that was it. Second one was fantastic though.

I have a feeling I have bootlegs somewhere...[/quote']

My flatmate was at the Palace gig and he says it was pretty crap, they played under an hour and it was pretty shit. Morrissey was acting like a bit of a twat apparently.

Cheers

Stuart

You're both right' date=' really. The Smiths played three times in Aberdeen -

I have a feeling I have bootlegs somewhere...[/quote']

shit...it's comming back now...in the first gig...morrisey was on his back close to the edge of the stage singing.....then some bloke makes it up on stage...stoops down and grabs at morrisey then does a runner...either off stage or back into the crowd...cant remember... and yep that was pretty much that...

...in the second gig...the bugger refused to do "barbarism begins in the home" the best track off either hollow or murder....either way pissed me off no end...so if your bootlegs have got some asshole shouting "barbarism" between numbers....eh that would be me...

I thought Chilli was wrong....I thought the first time the Smiths played here it was at the Venue, in Market St, but I checked it out, and he's right, although the Palace was called Fusion at the time. I should have remebered, as I was there, but y'know...age etc etc.However I remebered that it was agreat night. The first Capitol gig wasn't great...I remember Morrissey getting a bit of an attitude with the crowd.

I got this from a Smiths gigography site......

4 March 1984 - Fusion Club, ABERDEEN

Hand In Glove

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Girl Afraid

This Charming Man

Pretty Girls Make Graves

Still Ill

This Night Has Opened My Eyes

Barbarism Begins At Home

Back To The Old House

What Difference Does It Make?

/Reel Around The Fountain

//You've Got Everything Now

//Handsome Devil

My Grandfather was the projectionist there through the war and due to this my Dad would insist on taking my Mum on hot courting dates to the cinema there. He had free pass book! Cheap skate romantic :)

Gigs: Spear of Destiny, U2, The Cure, Siouxie and The Banshees, Flock Of Seagulls (Jeez), Cramps, Tears for Fears and many more that I can't remember. Great venue and many great gigs. Back when you used to have to Queue for tickets at a BOX OFFICE... (wave of nostalgia paasing over me for my youth)... ;(

lame...

u r right' date=' sabs did play there with the ozzy line up during 70's....the sabbath gig that was cancelled was the tony iommi line up..late 80's maybe even early 90's...i think post ronnie james....as for the evh story.... can't remember hearing that.... but yep...would have been a cracking gig...[/quote']

The Van Halen business made me think about all the great bands who played here as supports BEFORE they made it. I recall seeing Primal Scream support Teenage Fanclub at the Beach Ballroom, and Happy Mondays support James at the Venue, Richard Hell & the Voidoids supporting Talking Heads, Genesis supporting Lindisfarne (or was it the other way round?). Must be loads more!!!! One I regret missing was Joy Division supporting the Buzzcocks, but I was in Wick (shudder).