aberdeen-music

Elite Ana: anorexic and proud

Ultra Laser

Seemingly there is a huge community of girls with eating disorders who pour over livejournal because there is an audience of readers who will APPLAUD and SUPPORT the girls efforts in anorexia and other eating disorders.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/elite_ana/

The livejournal of a proud anorexic, containing posts such as:

"I had completely forgot how ...I dont know the word...exciting,refreshing it is to know your getting away with something and being in control. In my house its really hard to avoid meals, but i am getting so good at it.

Yesterday I had an apple for breakfast with my mom watching me, I kept distracting her by talking. Then i went for a run when she went in the basement to clean.

After I showered she offered me lunch and i willingly said yes (this is my plan) she made me a turkey sanchwich, grapes, and some pretzels. I came downstairs and told her i was meeting my friends at the mall and I had to hurry cuz they were already there and asked her to put my lunch in a bag. She did, and i stopped at a gas station and threw it out. Same thing for dinner. I came home around 4 and then called my friend shannon who invited me over. I told my mom she invited me over and we were going to order pizza. When I got to her house I told her I ate at home cuz I didn't know if she would have eaten or not. So my whole day total ended up being 1 apple, diet soda, water, and gum. Prob 60 cals.

When i think about how much lieing I did...byut how much NOT eating i did...it makes me happy and i look forward to the next scheme i get to pull to get out of eating.

you guys are all my thinspiration.. thanks!"

That is so wrong... What the hell...

Some education and life she's had if thats her 'fun' or of she thinks that's the right thing to do...

No, what's "wrong" here is holding up someones ILLNESS for the purposes of public scrutiny. Now, you might argue the person in question has already done this by publishing it online on livejournal, but at the same time you have to realise that people like that person are in a pretty bad situation and need help, not ridicule. Can you imagine what it must be like to have your life driven by calorie counting and an obsession with your weight and food intake?? When I read things like the snippet above, I only wish I could help these people out, that's all.

No' date=' what's "wrong" here is holding up someones ILLNESS for the purposes of public scrutiny. Now, you might argue the person in question has already done this by publishing it online on livejournal, but at the same time you have to realise that people like that person are in a pretty bad situation and need help, not ridicule. Can you imagine what it must be like to have your life driven by calorie counting and an obsession with your weight and food intake?? When I read things like the snippet above, I only wish I could help these people out, that's all.[/quote']

Ah I put that last post up without thinking about what i actually meant... Don't get me wrong... but you have to say something went wrong somewhere along the line that people in general think that its a) cool to put themselves in that situation b) that people actually are supporting her and rooting for her... not to help herself, but to make it worse, by making her eating disorder (in this case) worse.

I know two people very well, who had a very hard time with eating disorders and you are right, they need people to be around to support them, and they do need people's help, particularly for pointing them in the right direction, and to help them admit that there is a problem.

But it would appear that that isnt the way that many of the readers on Live Journal see it... Which is sad. That was more what I was referring to. Im the same.. I wish there was something I could do... :down:

No' date=' what's "wrong" here is holding up someones ILLNESS for the purposes of public scrutiny. Now, you might argue the person in question has already done this by publishing it online on livejournal, but at the same time you have to realise that people like that person are in a pretty bad situation and need help, not ridicule. Can you imagine what it must be like to have your life driven by calorie counting and an obsession with your weight and food intake?? When I read things like the snippet above, I only wish I could help these people out, that's all.[/quote']

i felt really sad for them reading their entries, but that said, i did see quite of lot of examples where members of the community were scrutinising other members for not being anorexic enough, or not having low enough goal weights. pretty harrowing and disturbing stuff.

"Ana" communities have been around a long time. There was an expose on Cosmopolitan a couple of years ago, the stuff in some of them is really quite concerning.

Ana communities aren't there to support a person with anorexia and get them through it, they're there to encourage the disease, and pressure users to stay anorexic.

It's truly disturbing... There's a similar network for Bulimia, although I can't remember the pseudonym they use for it.