aberdeen-music

Record Labels

Craig B

Having heard a few people occasionaly claiming to only 'support' bands who are signed to an independent record label, I was wondering how much this is the case here?

DO people really judge music by the label that sells their CD's?

Personally, I don't give a damn. Large record labels can get more of a band's music out to more people, and offer their bands large advances if they think they are worth it.

And does it affect the music, which is surely what matters, in the end. I mena, Bob Dylan has always (pretty much) been on Columbia, (now part of Sony) one of the biggest labels ever, and he could hardly be called a comercial sell-out.

If anything, major labels can take risks on different acts, cos they can use the oney from shitey boy-bands and such to support the more credible and interesting acts.

Guest Neubeatz
Having heard a few people occasionaly claiming to only 'support' bands who are signed to an independent record label, I was wondering how much this is the case here?

I think that some people question the honesty, the integrity the credibility, and the artistic morality of the act,

I think that these are different to the criteria of "musical quality",

Having heard a few people occasionaly claiming to only 'support' bands who are signed to an independent record label' date=' I was wondering how much this is the case here?

Personally, I don't give a damn. Large record labels can get more of a band's music out to more people, and offer their bands large advances if they think they are worth it.

And does it affect the music, which is surely what matters, in the end. I mena, Bob Dylan has always (pretty much) been on Columbia, (now part of Sony) one of the biggest labels ever, and he could hardly be called a comercial sell-out.

If anything, major labels can take risks on different acts, cos they can use the oney from shitey boy-bands and such to support the more credible and interesting acts.[/quote']

there are many many fine reasons to support bands on independent labels over mjaor label acts. most of which have very little to do with the actual quality of the act. it all comes down to morality. major record labels(the 4 that actually exist, may be just 3 now actually) are giant behemoths designed solely to make money. that's all they're good at. occasionally an artist signed to a major record label might just make some money themselves but consider how many major record label artists actually make a good living from it(and can continue to do so until old age), the number is tiny compared to the amount of people these sharks sign.

some independent labels are just as focused on the money, but at the end of the day it's about support and creativity. an independent label that's in it for the music will generally(and this is all sweeping generalisations, but you did ask) provide more artistic and creative support and freedom than a major one whereas a major label can provide money. problem is people generally expect money back. you only have to look at hundred "this is a brilliant deal, the president of columbia himself is behind us" reasons to see that. if a band doesn't do it by the second album it's back on the dole queue.

at the end of the day it's down to what you as an artist or consumer feel comfortable with. i buy music based on whether it's good but i find most of the interesting music is on independent labels purely because they're the only ones prepared to take the risk on something different these days so i'm happy to support that. it's not hard for me to avoid buying things on major record labels really, except for 'classic' albums that i like.

i prefer smaller labels...i dont neccessarily always buy records on indie labels cos i love so many bands on major labels (beastie boys being one of my most recent purchases). i wont buy from any large record shop like hmv or virgin though...unless i spot a bargain! most things i buy are either at gigs, via mailorder or in little record shops i spot in other towns (like the wonderful out of step records in leeds or avalanche in edinburgh)

Guest allsystemsfail

I don't really want to get in to this again, but I'm just gonna say one thing. Majors care liitle for the acts they sign or the music they produce. At then end of the day it's just about shifting product. If it's George Michael or Green Day, they really couldn't give a damn. Majors? Fuck em. That's all I'm gonna say.

it doesnt really matter what label things are released on but often i find that if i find one smaller label i like an artist on then i will like alot of other things out on that label- for example Rough Trade are home to many of my favourite artists, discovered largely through owning other albums by artists on that label. i agree thought that it can often be hard to find a bargain in hmv etc so mail order directly from these smaller labels is often better value. however, you shouldnt boycott larger labels, many bands just strike it lucky from the word go and get signed up by sony, etc, that doesnt mean they are sell outs simply due to the fact they are signed to a larger company. x

Shit, if the musics good i couldn't give a rats ass who puts it out. In the end most bands would release their material wherever they can, if it happens to make them some money in the long run then all power too them. Just because they get more exposure on majors doesn't mean they've sold out. You're favourite bands can still have integrity on a major label you know.

:up:

In an ideal world, I wouldn't have to buy any music from major labels, for the same reason I try not to shop in Asda, or drink Coca Cola, or eat in McDonalds etc. But it's not an ideal world. If a band I like just happens to be on Sony, I'm not going to avoid buying the album. If I did, I wouldn't own anything by the Manics, the Clash, Alice In Chains and doubtless many more ace bands.

The point about there being a tendancy to like more of the same bands on an independent label is true though; I've liked everything I've bought that's on Ipecac. And I've always meant to investigate a few more bands that were on Factory since I love Joy Division so much.

In an ideal world' date=' I wouldn't have to buy any music from major labels, for the same reason I try not to shop in Asda, or drink Coca Cola, or eat in McDonalds etc. QUOTE']

I do avoid Asda with a passion.

Evil bastards.

And I do shop at One Up rather then HMV, mainly cos it's cheaper, but also you ge tthe impression the people behind the till care about it.

I;'d never buy music from Asda, etc. Or DVDs, or 'clothes', or food, for that matter.

In an ideal world' date=' I wouldn't have to buy any music from major labels, for the same reason I try not to shop in Asda, or drink Coca Cola, or eat in McDonalds etc. QUOTE']

I do avoid Asda with a passion.

Evil bastards.

And I do shop at One Up rather then HMV, mainly cos it's cheaper, but also you ge tthe impression the people behind the till care about it.

I;'d never buy music from Asda, etc. Or DVDs, or 'clothes', or food, for that matter.

Where do you buy your food from then?? A corner shop with inflated prices?

i may sound a bit silly when i say this...

but what's wrong with asda? :\

ASDA (Walmart) is an evil behemoth that destroys local economies, not to mention the fact that most of the "food" they sell is utterly disgusting low-grade shit that I wouldn't even feed to animals. Also, the clientele usually live in council houses and wear tracksuits and you might catch a disease if you breath the same air as them.

ASDA (Walmart) is an evil behemoth that destroys local economies' date=' not to mention the fact that most of the "food" they sell is utterly disgusting low-grade shit that I wouldn't even feed to animals. Also, the clientele usually live in council houses and wear tracksuits and you might catch a disease if you breath the same air as them.[/quote']

i think you are getting Asda and Walmart confused. Walmart is the American company. Even though Asda is owned by walmart, it still runs independently from it in Britain. The foods do not come from the same sources.

but do you all agree that the reasons for the music matter as well? i mean does it make a difference to you that a certain song has been written by a bunch of people in a board room and produced by a cheque book for the sole reason that the 200 focus groups they studied showed that a certain type of music and song about this issue would sell more than one man who believed in his own music and recorded it in his bedroom with his mate who believed in him producing it on a computer they saved up a whole year to buy cause they knew they could make something amazing? who's music means more? do you treat music as an art or as a consumable you pick up use and throw away? is music about soul and passion or is it about a hummable tune and fake angst? how much soul do major labels have when they drop artists after one album and don't allow them the time to develop or trust in their abitility? what are their original motives for signing an artist on a multi album deal if they won't honour it after one album? would major labels be in as good a position just now if they didn't control most of the radio's output through bottomless pits of money thrown at pluggers and commercial radio stations? what does a major label have that you don't? what can they do that you can't? with a bit of drive and a bit of passion anything can be acheived, all they have is money, we have the ideas and the songs.

fuck major labels. they are a plague of locusts on our music.

ASDA (Walmart) is an evil behemoth that destroys local economies' date=' not to mention the fact that most of the "food" they sell is utterly disgusting low-grade shit that I wouldn't even feed to animals. Also, the clientele usually live in council houses and wear tracksuits and you might catch a disease if you breath the same air as them.[/quote']

ok...thanks for clearing that up.

but do you all agree that the reasons for the music matter as well? i mean does it make a difference to you that a certain song has been written by a bunch of people in a board room and produced by a cheque book for the sole reason that the 200 focus groups they studied showed that a certain type of music and song about this issue would sell more than one man who believed in his own music and recorded it in his bedroom with his mate who believed in him producing it on a computer they saved up a whole year to buy cause they knew they could make something amazing? who's music means more? do you treat music as an art or as a consumable you pick up use and throw away? is music about soul and passion or is it about a hummable tune and fake angst? how much soul do major labels have when they drop artists after one album and don't allow them the time to develop or trust in their abitility? what are their original motives for signing an artist on a multi album deal if they won't honour it after one album? would major labels be in as good a position just now if they didn't control most of the radio's output through bottomless pits of money thrown at pluggers and commercial radio stations? what does a major label have that you don't? what can they do that you can't? with a bit of drive and a bit of passion anything can be acheived' date=' all they have is money, we have the ideas and the songs.

fuck major labels. they are a plague of locusts on our music.[/quote']

I agree entirely. However I recall someone on here declaring that a very helpful local label was mickey mouse because they are small and don't charge a lot for new, young and original bands.