aberdeen-music

Westfield Basses

Guest Scott 5FD

Guest Scott 5FD

are they any good? i spotted a J-Bass copy i like in RnB, but i dunno if i should get it or not.

im looking to upgrade from my Squier, so would a Westfield be a step forward or back?

any advice is welcome.

scott :punk:

i would hold back just now for getting a new bass. i reckon the best way is to learn your craft on a shitpiece of a bass whilst saving up for something special. if you learn on an instrument which isn't the best to play and doesn't have the best sound but manage to get to a stage where you can get play it well and make it sound good, moving up to a good bass will make it seem easy and you can concentrate on playin like jaco!

the best plan is to look around, speak to other bassists, ask in shops etc. till you get an idea of exactly what you want. look at the bassists you admire, try out the basses they play, see what you can get the right sound from and what feels good, then go about saving for it. it might take a while (i worked 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for most of a summer for my stingray!) but you appreciate it more when you get it then and it's a sweet feeling.moving up one bass at a time ends up being costly and you find too many faults with the cheaper basses you buy. by saving longer and buying something you really want is better in the long run.

just my opinion though. if you ever want to chat to someone who wanks over his basses every night before he goes to bed, just drop me a PM!

spoons

X

Other online places:

http://www.thebassgallery.com/index2.html

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/

Soundslive I`ve used about 5 or 6 times...

You can phone up and order if you don`t want to buy over the net. The service is absolutely fantastic.

If your item is out of stock people consatantly phone you to let you know how theyre chasing up orders etc. They clearly are very busy but yet take time out to do this... Nice one!

sound control is about a minute from the door of my house and ross is right enough to suggest them. they also do great repair work etc. i had a series 2 badass bridge put on my fender and i got them to set it up too and it plays like a dream now.

also, i was just looking at the soundslive page and their prices are excellent. if you're wanting a new bass now and it's a jazz that takes your fancy, you're looking it 350 plus 9 delivery from them to get a sage green standard jazz bass. it's mexican so it's not got the same credibility as the US Standard models, but a great buy nonetheless

spoonie

X

Originally posted by Spoonie

sound control is about a minute from the door of my house and ross is right enough to suggest them. they also do great repair work etc. i had a series 2 badass bridge put on my fender and i got them to set it up too and it plays like a dream now.

also, i was just looking at the soundslive page and their prices are excellent. if you're wanting a new bass now and it's a jazz that takes your fancy, you're looking it 350 plus 9 delivery from them to get a sage green standard jazz bass. it's mexican so it's not got the same credibility as the US Standard models, but a great buy nonetheless

spoonie

X

Whot he said..

aight!

Guest Scott 5FD

thanx for the help guys.

at the moment im just looking for a bass as an xmas present, i dont think my parents could afford a Mex J-Bass, i really have a budget of about 200. i have a few weeks to decide wot to go for, but any suggestions would be nice.

Originally posted by Bass Monkey

thanx for the help guys.

at the moment im just looking for a bass as an xmas present, i dont think my parents could afford a Mex J-Bass, i really have a budget of about 200. i have a few weeks to decide wot to go for, but any suggestions would be nice.

No you're being stupid, you're just getting a bass for the sake of it, ask your parents for money instead, then save up and get a better bass, for 200 you're not going to get anything better than what you've already got, please take this advice.

do what im doing, i have a tanglewood rebel 4k, and its rubbish imo, but i havnt sold it yet cos im using spoonies logic. its frustrating me though, its so bad, its so hard to play. as a result im going to eventually sell it, save up 300 bucks and buy something secondhand, that way ill get something pretty decent.

mm

If I were you I would take the money and add your own to it over time and get something really nice rather than another mudget bass. I don't believe a west field would be a signficant step forward or backward. Why not wait and scrimp...you'll end up saving money in the long run and you will also have the satisfaction of getting it finally.

Guest Scott 5FD

yeah, im gonna save up to get one i really want. gonna get a DVD player instead so i can watch Punk-O-Rama in my room.

cheers guys, it shows that bass players always know best in the end.

as i always say bass is not just an instrument is a lifestyle. you gotta be sensible to play the bass otherwise youll end up a silly butterfly of a guitarist. or a jumping monkey of a singer...

nope no drummer jokes this time. i rispect them because they put lots of effords in the band but they are way too stubborn