aberdeen-music

The Delays

Marillionboy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ohhh they are excellent! i picked up a demo cd a year and a half or so ago and couldnt wait for the album earlier this year. caught them at t in the park and they were excellent. new material was played then and recently too in edinburgh at their gig back in october. lovely melodies and greg gilberts voice is incredible- hitting all those notes spot on and beautifully live too. nice mixing of guitars and keys too and synths, love these guys to bits. if you can then get the album with the bonus dvd- its got some great live performances on it and videos. they also described how their new album is going to sound in a recent nme- michael jackson influenced- sounds interesting but even if its half as good as the live new tracks ive heard it will be awesome! HUGE fan here! x

Thanks, I'll probably pick up the Delays album next time I'm in town then :)

As for KC, In The Court of the Crimson King is proabably my favourite. The end of Moonchild is ... I dunno, sometimes I skip it, other times I forget and end up doing eyebrow dancing to it. But the only one which could rival that album is Red, which is fantastic, especially One More Red Nightmare and Starless (and I love Fallen Angel too). And after that... maybe In The Wake of Poseidon. Larks' Tongues In Aspic is very good too but it gets a bit heavy for my tastes.

Hope that helps! Red is definitely the next one to get though ;)

Argh! I love BSS, it's one of my all time favourites, and the poster from the vinyl is stuck up above my bed and Keith Emerson is like my friend and mentor and his hair is like ahhh and it's all woah, yeah and his face shape ...

Karn Evil 9 and Brain Salad Surgery are the best! Their version of Jerusalem is awesome too! Do you have Trilogy?

Yeah that's Poseidon.. I like Cat Food best :)

As Bodast said, Red and Larks' Tongues In Aspic are two King Crimson albums worth getting. Also check out the 80's stuff (Disipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair) although its sort of an aquired taste but I like it. I've not listened to ELP for ages but I really liked Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery at the time.

Argh! I love BSS' date=' it's one of my all time favourites, and the poster from the vinyl is stuck up above my bed and Keith Emerson is like my friend and mentor and his hair is like ahhh and it's all woah, yeah and his face shape ...

Karn Evil 9 and Brain Salad Surgery are the best! Their version of Jerusalem is awesome too! Do you have Trilogy?

Yeah that's Poseidon.. I like Cat Food best :)[/quote']

Bodast you are a sad woman ;) I will convert you to Marillion, you have the basic training ;) hmmm,...

Back me up here Marillionboy, which reminds me, you up for a pint at some point over ther festive period, see if we can get a longer chat this time ? Moorings seems like a good venue.

Cheers

Stuart

Bodast you are a sad woman ;)

Stuart... don't say that as if you didn't already know!

I will convert you to Marillion' date=' you have the basic training ;) hmmm,...[/quote']

Convert me? But I gave you life - to do what was right!

No computer stands in my way! I'm perfect - are you?

Is there a Rudolph smilie on this forum?

Poor me having to sit here doing BBC things on Christmas Day!

Stu, as a result of work I can't come home until Jan 15th, major drinks then with some Marillion playin on the moorings jukebox?

Oh yes ELP lady, I do indeed have Trilogy, my favourite! The opening of Fugue and the start of Trilogy itself are favourites but Emerson does occasionally bugger about just a bit too much. On BSS I love everything except Benny the Bouncer and Toccata. I remember feeling dead chuffed with myself when I learnt to play the start of Fugue but never got further than about fifteen seconds in...life's too short! I stuck to Mark Kelly solos, they're piss easy!

Hey that's cool about the start of Fugue. I love the way it piddles to its end and then the Endless Enigma barges in for its second part - dun, dun, dun, dodododod and such.

I can sort of play bits of Trilogy, until it gets to those damn crazy "I'm better than you" bits by Emerson, and the bit where I need a synth to do it right. Some day I'll be able to play it like him. Have you seen their DVD of Pictures at an Exhibition (7 from Fopp ;)) ? They are righteous hotties in that, and you can't really see how pretentious they are either, in most parts. There was an article in Classic Rock a few months ago, though, and they all sounded like total prats, especially Carl Palmer. But they wouldn't be them without it! :up:

When I saw Fish in London last month Palmer was supporting, and soloing us to death! He played the final section of Trilogy...I'd rather have the first bit!

Take a Pebble, that's another gem. The Barbarian though has to be one of the most dramatic and exciting opening moments for any band. Another favourite moment is the climax to Karn Evil 9 Part One, always does it for me. I was very shocked to see Lake on the 100 Greatest Christmas Moments the other night looking like Ena Sharples...blimey he has NOT aged well!

Just on the subject of ELP reminds me of how I was once in Virgin on Union Street when the Endless Enigma part one started playing and no-one batted an eyelid! A few weeks later I remember hearing After The Ordeal by Genesis upstairs in HMV...who was this prog fan who was clearly working his way through the record shops and getting fired from each one!

Stuart... don't say that as if you didn't already know!

Convert me? But I gave you life - to do what was right!

No computer stands in my way! I'm perfect - are you?

Is there a Rudolph smilie on this forum?

Ypu ae not only a sad, but a strange woman ;)

Of course you arew also very lovely and wonderfull :p

Interestingly you and Marillionboy almost met a few weeks ago at the moorings when you could have discussed ELP ;)

On another note, drinks with Marillion at the moorigns sounds like a definite :) give me a shout when you're next up Marillionboy :)

Cheers

Stuart

I love this forum!

How did we nearly meet, did ELP girl arrive after I left? Still can't believe I didn't make it back there, better do it very majorly next time to compensate!

And now can I ask a VERY sad question: is the version of I Believe in Father Christmas on Works II not the original? If not, where is the original available?