aberdeen-music

shit bouncers at henry j's

drunkenmonkey

Originally posted by Moshulu Rob

The Perennial Underagers argument.

I honestly, hand on heart, don't believe there is a massive problem. When we instigated a massive crack down a few weeks back, attendances were unchanged, although we did piss off a load of people that had to go home for ID.

Many times I have been told someone is definately underage, and have ID'd them myself only to get a valid Drivers license or Passport.

When Licensing police were in for a look around, they didn't see a problem.

Like any club a few will always slip the net, we do ID and knock back loads every night. Certainly i know of many places in Aberdeen that do have a problem.

I absolutely and utterly refute any suggestion that either myself or any one who works for me would let anyone in for a blowjob/grope/whatever.

If anyone can point out anyone underage to me then I will always ID them.

Rob

Cool :) Must admit I've only been in once in the last month or two and it was on a quiet night so if theres been a major clampdown thats cool. I can honestly say at one point I was in Moshulu probably back in about May and there were ATLEAST a dozen underagers in the back room alone.

Its just kinda scary when your chatting away to a girl who seems really cool only to discover she's not long 14 :moody: Thank god I always check first ;)

Just out of interest, why is there no mandatory ID screening as there is here in Glasgow?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked on the doors and as a steward for 10 years and let me tell you its sometimes very very hard to resist knocking some offensive loud mouthed drunk out....I worked the doors when there were little or no regulations with regard to a doormans suitability (nor were there cameras) for the job and there were a few animals doing the rounds, but now, I have loads of respect for these guys. All accept drunkenmonkey....what an arse...I notice he's shut the fuck up since rob has commented....why post shit like that on here? especially when your not 100% sure of the facts.

For what its worth I have always found the door staff at HJB's and Moshulu to be diamond geezers....!!

something that i've found interesting is how much Henry J Beans has changed in the last 6 months

When Bonobo started in May i often felt a bit threatend by some of the people who were there on a Saturday Night - there was never much trouble but every now and again there would be someone causing bother - usually complaining about the music... :)

but now its completely different

last saturday was great fun - the whole place was dancing around to every song we played and the atmosphere was awesome

- same goes for last friday

you still get the odd person who gives you a bit of banter or throws up in the toilet (or completely rips the toilet out of the floor... ) but i feel a lot more comfortable working there twice a week now.

And i've never really had anything against the bouncers

they do the best job they can

- something i think should be addressed on these board is peoples right to complain.... :laughing:

Originally posted by drunkenmonkey

its all sorted now, my boss knows the pricks boss

he he victory is mine

its just cocks like them give all the good bouncers out there a bad reputation and that really pisses me off

I just have to say that the bouncer wont lose his job due to this. It happens all the time. You just saw it for the first time happening. But dont get me wrong i do find it shit, but like say the drunk sounds like he was a dick anyway and should have just left after being thrown out

Originally posted by ~christine~

when I have been to HJB's, the bouncer's always seem competant and easy going enough, so I think if this attack was as brutal as said, it must have been at a push, because like I said, the bouncers are nice enough

however, I didn't see what went on

Yeah but thats cos your a chick. If you have got a face the bouncer dont like. you are in for trouble. Cos you got to remember that this is just shit for them doing this normally as part time to earn more money. And they have to take their aggression out on someone

Originally posted by Peeps

Yeah but thats cos your a chick. If you have got a face the bouncer dont like. you are in for trouble. Cos you got to remember that this is just shit for them doing this normally as part time to earn more money. And they have to take their aggression out on someone

thats quite possibily the most amount of crap i have seen strung together as a post in while. get a grip mate.

I find bouncers these days to be 10 times better than they were a few years ago. Like Mr C says, no training, no cameras, no control. Clubs just wanted someone huge to scare the bejeezuz out of everyone. I've seen many unlucky punters on the wrong end of a door monkey's Doc Marten, but not for a long time.

Incidentally, I seem to recall a certain bouncer working in Moshulu's predecessor (Zuu?) who has apparently done rather well for himself, now running his very own little bar/music venue in Shiprow...

Originally posted by Peeps

You can't get a door badge if you have a conviction for assault in the last five years. You can't get one at all if you have a more serious conviction.

The reason that they wear badges is to make them accountable, if a doorman is arrested for assault, whether at work or not, then they are automatically suspended for a police report. If they really did go around beating people up and taking out their aggression at random they wouldn't last a week these days.

I wonder what justification you have for your statement? or did you just make it up?

The self control I have seen my guys show is quite remarkable in some circumstances, and remember these are guys who have been around the block more than once, and have worked places like Zuu, Bex, Bud Bar, the Metro, Hoochie Coochie club and all in the bad old days too. They work here, when they could work any door in Aberdeen (and regularly get offered jobs) because they like it here, the crowd and the atmosphere. They don't want to be in a fight every night, just like no one else does.......

when i say aggression i dont mean beating someone up they just might be dicks and just not let you in for petty reasons. And i have total respect for what they do as it is probally a annoying job and to be fair i havent met much bad bouncers except in rough clubs where they get shit all the time from annoying people the ones at Henry j's and moshulu seem friendly enough

Originally posted by Philip Johnston

No relation to Moshulu, but wasn't someone killed here in Aberdeen after being attacked by a bouncer/few bouncers a few years back?

Beside the estaminenet - dont know if it was that, but the bouncers kicked a guy out and he fell - smashing his head off of the kerb, resulting in death..... thats one incident anyway.

There is an element of truth to the post "if the bouncer dont like your face!"

I just wonder what is the criteria for not letting someone in to a venue for instance?

No relation to Moshulu, but wasn't someone killed here in Aberdeen after being attacked by a bouncer/few bouncers a few years back?

They dont need to have any good reasons for not letting you in afterall they control the doors and its their descion.

And someone being killed in Aberdeen by Bouncers is true but that was before they got checked properly for criminal records and stuff and you rarely hear about any bad bouncers now a days even though some are still there

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass

Beside the estaminenet - dont know if it was that, but the bouncers kicked a guy out and he fell - smashing his head off of the kerb, resulting in death..... thats one incident anyway.

The same happened to Whistlebinkies in Edinburgh, they were closed for ages because of that a few years back. Don't know if they actually kicked someone out, but someone leaving their pub injured themself in their doorway, resulting in their death.

There is an element of truth to the post "if the bouncer dont like your face!"

I just wonder what is the criteria for not letting someone in to a venue for instance?

A Bar/Nightclub are not 'Public Places' and anyone can be refused entry, with no justification at all. Further more any Licensee can call the police and have any one removed for no reason at all (although obviously if you are calling them three times a day they might object at the next licensing hearing)

The only reason you would be refused entry here is if you were pissed, barred or underage. You might not always get an explanation though, if you are told 'not tonight' it is more likely you will wander off on your way than spend 20 minutes debating how 'Ihhhmm neh shooo pished, jusht had a phew drinksh mate'

I only wish that all venues/pubs had a similar outlook to Drakes and going by this post Moshulu... Exodus being a bad example, the same bouncer has refused ntry to me and friends on numerous occasions...

I being 28, sober(some of the time!) and not interested in causing or getting involved in any trouble fail to see why I shouldn't be allowed entry! Especially as I've been going there for about 5 years, trouble free.

I haven't been back since as I've had enough of said bouncer ruining a night out.

you should just do what a friend of mine did once. he and a friend were refused entry to exodus for being too drunk. they went round the corner, swapped jackets and walked straight in 5 minutes later.

After reading through all this I feel a hellofalot more informed about bouncers. When talking to someone who had been around that time at Henry J's they were just sayign "well how can a bouncer resttrain someone threatening if they're not doing it physically??" In one way the sound of bouncers accepting head and stuff from underages is pretty shocking but then it kinda means that the person would be willing to do that, which i think is a reflection to them. Another way of looking at it, is how much worse things would be if at night, with lots of drunk drunk people going abuot, how bad it could get if there weren't bouncers, who can often recognise people who are about to explode into violent tendancies...i know thats a bit of a regurgitation but oh well.. But on a story about bad workers...ages ago, when I was about 13/14 i remember this carnie guy giving us all a free ride on the Waltzers or something. When I think about it, the idea of this 30+ year old man giving us free rides, where we were away from everyone else really, just cause 2 of my friends were in boob tubes and mini skirts is actually kinda disturbing so i guess people can't just accuse bouncers of doing stuff like that - Everyone must be open to a little bit of corruption once and a while..

Guest Taylor D.O.T
Originally posted by Flik

Furthermore, how many times do you see any real trouble in either of our venues? Having worked in too many to count over the years, I can safely say without bias that I have never seen a venue with less trouble, be it violence or illegal activity than HJB or Moshulu. We hire bouncers who can help us keep that image, not destroy it. I think our bouncers set a fine example to the rest and most certainly stand by them on this one...

Totally!..And i know what one Jim is,he is a sound guy always polite.

taylor

I only wish that all venues/pubs had a similar outlook to Drakes and going by this post Moshulu... Exodus being a bad example, the same bouncer has refused ntry to me and friends on numerous occasions...

I being 28, sober(some of the time!) and not interested in causing or getting involved in any trouble fail to see why I shouldn't be allowed entry! Especially as I've been going there for about 5 years, trouble free.

I haven't been back since as I've had enough of said bouncer ruining a night out.

I agree totally.... exodus bouncers are total cocks... not been back to the place since one of them was a real tosser.... shite place anyway

Originally posted by Meriel

After reading through all this I feel a hellofalot more informed about bouncers. When talking to someone who had been around that time at Henry J's they were just sayign "well how can a bouncer resttrain someone threatening if they're not doing it physically??" In one way the sound of bouncers accepting head and stuff from underages is pretty shocking but then it kinda means that the person would be willing to do that, which i think is a reflection to them. Another way of looking at it, is how much worse things would be if at night, with lots of drunk drunk people going abuot, how bad it could get if there weren't bouncers, who can often recognise people who are about to explode into violent tendancies...i know thats a bit of a regurgitation but oh well.. But on a story about bad workers...ages ago, when I was about 13/14 i remember this carnie guy giving us all a free ride on the Waltzers or something. When I think about it, the idea of this 30+ year old man giving us free rides, where we were away from everyone else really, just cause 2 of my friends were in boob tubes and mini skirts is actually kinda disturbing so i guess people can't just accuse bouncers of doing stuff like that - Everyone must be open to a little bit of corruption once and a while..

Please Stop

I remember one time me and my mate andrew went to a ned nightclub for a laugh. When our behaviour became too much of a 'laugh' we got kicked out, and deservedly so I may add. However, the bouncer was a bit heavy handed with my mate andrew and got head-butted for the privilege! Needless to say, my mate got taken round the bag for a good kicking. SO, though the bouncers may seem like dicks, sometimes it's the only way to teach drunken asses a lesson.