aberdeen-music

jtm600, or matamp

Guest lime

really depends how you want to sound. The JTM 600 doesn't have a lot of gain. Basically think Thin Lizzy?

The Matamps are meant to be good amps. That one is one channel though I think.... Stick a big muff or Rat in front of though. Even a Guv'Nor. But then the same with the Marshall. Just use a pedal for solos.

What type of music do you play?

Do you need two channels (remember a pedal through a valve amp sounds shit hot - much better than through a SS amp)

If teh matamp is a lower wattage you won't need to make it as loud to get the power tube distortion

Craig

they're both all tube arnt they?

iv read reviews on the jtm600 being a bit thin on the bottom end.

i play all sorts of stuff, i used to be in a sort of experimental sonic youth trail of dead style band, i like that sort of guitar sound, i like stuff with lots of bass end, i dont like having to turn up ooooober loud to get a semi decent sound.

i think im going to go fr the matamp, maybe, if itll fit nicely on my jtm410, the jtm600 would fit perfectly into the nice grooves on the top of my cab, mm slick.

im quite happy with one channel, a nice clean one, and then i can do what i like with pedals, i dont trust channel changers.

i also like lots of reverb, (im a big mogwai fan, big muff in order i think)

Matamps are what a lot of stoner rock bands uses, so I reckon the low-end should be there.

I reckon the Matamp. They're a bit differetn from normal, and are hand-built. Probably very high quality of workmanship.

I'm pretty sure if you search you can find articles done on them from Guitarist magazine, or maybe it was total guitar?

Craig

Guest redmeat

Beware buying a secondhand valve amp without seeing proof of its service history. A lot of people will use/abuse an old amp then sell it on when it starts to give in. To make matters worse, some shops (including a local shop who shall remain nameless) do not appear to test secondhand amps beyond giving them a quick blast before selling them on and offer inadequate post-sale service warranties. If there is an intermittent fault it won't always be obvious when or if you try it out.

Even if the amp is of high-quality, if it hasn't been properly looked after, it can be more trouble than it's worth. I learned the hard way.

I'm not saying all old amps are unreliable and all new amps are reliable. Neither of these things are true. Just something to bear in mind.

Guest redmeat

BTW The Lemon Tree have a Marshall JTM60 2X12 combo which I've used once - I think its from the same series as the JCM600 head. I personally found it a bit thin (I've had the same experience with all Marshalls unless cranked to full blast) and I'm not a mega-bass merchant.

PS Nice avatar