aberdeen-music

How to be EMO!

rune

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A nother piece of 'my taste is better than yours' rubbish from rune.

You see' date=' us "emo" people don't have a sense of humour. Its this terrible affliction we suffer from. We don't find it amusing to be subjected to incessant, unoriginal bollocks from our superiors, the arse punks and metal heads of this world. And yes, it is incurable, in which case you're not going to convert any of the lost souls sucked into the terrible black hole of emo, so why don't you stop, hmm? Do you see anybody resorting to making threads about how much they hate metal or superficial pop punk? No you do not, so why not stop this childish and cheap pointscoring right now? :swearing:[/quote']

life as a trend setting record company puppet must be hard!

Rune, is it not following the crowd somewhat to spend your time slagging what you call emo. I don't think you realise how huge an insult it is to spend your time at school being chastised for being 'anti-mainstream,' and then come on here to be called a conformist clone. If i listen to something that many other people do, it is because i like it, not because i am incapable of independant thought. I don't seem to recall berating your entire lifestyle. Record comany puppet? Explain this right now.

okay, first of all, calum, it has to be said that you like some decent music (alkaline ttrio, my chemical romance, weezer, jetplane landing) and also, i noticed that you're 14. shit, when i was 14 i was just as angry as you are (not an insult, just saying that you seem pretty pissed off with a lot of people on here) but it doesn't matter WHERE you go or WHAT you listen to, you'll nearly always be branded as a sell out/mainstream

okay' date=' first of all, calum, it has to be said that you like some decent music (alkaline ttrio, my chemical romance, weezer, jetplane landing) and also, i noticed that you're 14. shit, when i was 14 i was just as angry as you are (not an insult, just saying that you seem pretty pissed off with a lot of people on here) but it doesn't matter WHERE you go or WHAT you listen to, you'll nearly always be branded as a sell out/mainstream[/quote']

What really pisses me off though is how you cant win. Some call you anti-mainstream, some call you mainstream. What they ball agree on is that you're wrong. :swearing:

Rune' date=' is it not following the crowd somewhat to spend your time slagging what you call emo. I don't think you realise how huge an insult it is to spend your time at school being chastised for being 'anti-mainstream,' and then come on here to be called a conformist clone. If i listen to something that many other people do, it is because i like it, not because i am incapable of independant thought. I don't seem to recall berating your entire lifestyle. Record comany puppet? Explain this right now.[/quote']

Yeah ok i get your point maybe it is following the crowd, but i have my own reasons for disliking emo. I did listen to some of that a few years back but now find it musically unchallenging. It's all too similar and like a cliche for me. That's why i think emo and various other genre's are engineered by record companies and mass marketed to people when bands with far more talent are ignored. To this day i really don't know why record lables choose to promote more untallented bands, when there are alot more bands out there who deserve it more down to their talent. Doesn't is seem strange to you why alot of these bands sound similar? That's because there is a major part of the record industry that either tells bands how they should sound or continually flood the market with bands that are similar. I regard this as very unproductive and unchallenging to the music scene.

That does not explain how im a puppet. That explains how the record companies are producing puppets, which is true, they're bastards, but it does not exlain how im a puppet. Also, if you used to listen to the style of music, you can change your opinion, but it is flagrant hypocrisy to then start being rabidly against the people who listen to it. It reminds me of a child who grows out of Fireman Sam, and then immediately begins going on about how stupid it is, and hating people who still like it. Anyway, explain the puppet comment.

Shitty geocities sites are always great though:

"WelcomE tO fAiRY pRiNceSs SaIloR MooN and LinKiN pArK pagE (animated flame gif) (broken jpg) (dead link) PlEase SiGn my GuEstBoOk"

Can't beat a good ol' geocities site...:D

That does not explain how im a puppet. That explains how the record companies are producing puppets' date=' which is true, they're bastards, but it does not exlain how im a puppet. Also, if you used to listen to the style of music, you can change your opinion, but it is flagrant hypocrisy to then start being rabidly against the people who listen to it. It reminds me of a child who grows out of Fireman Sam, and then immediately begins going on about how stupid it is, and hating people who still like it. Anyway, explain the puppet comment.[/quote']

Don't you think that buying into this trend is supporting their stance?

Let's face it record companies are turning this trend into a labtest

But don't you see most of these people won't check out other smaller alternatives?

Most of this success is down to mass martketing, so how do you actually make your choice on

what to buy? I'd bet it's through kerrang or music tv, too many people don't take time to find out about lesser known bands that have more talent.

i have an interesting idea, how about instead of blasting us market puppets for following a trend, you recommend some stuff that we might not find by ourselves? Give a band name, a brief description and a weblink to some sounds? If you don't fancy that, name some names and we'll find them ourselves. i for one am always on the lookout for new music...so give us puppets a hand!!! (see what i did there???)

either way, there's nothing wrong with liking mainstream bands, sure some of them are dull and sound the same as everything else but there's always someone who starts something....and if someone is genuinely into the music then who's to say they're wrong to like it?

Ok then here you go.

Bands i would reccomend highly are anodyne, day in black and white, conflict, cortizone, dinsaur jr, dead kennedies, disposable heroes of hiphoprisy, failure, massive attack, nebula, bongzilla, today is the day, knut, oceansize, one minute slience, isis, neurosis, halo, portis head, sigur ros, ostinato, primus, ride, seafood, sick of it all, sunna, trail of the dead, tribe called quest, charger, cephalic carnage, ed gein, ion dissonance, labrat, krisiun, ministry, mistress, napalm death ,mortician, nasum, pale horse, the chariot, tusk, the devils, unsane, alice in chains, pig destroyer