aberdeen-music

Linux music studio (ATTN. SPELLCHECKER!!)

ghost

Hi,

Just been looking at Linux in a new light after my first teaching placement. Looks pretty neat. I remember Spellchecker mentioning he'd spent most of this life (and perhaps some of his previous ones too) setting up his PC as a Linux music studio.

Any tips where to start AND is it feasible to config it as a LiveCD (or Boot CD)?

Cheers

you can get live CDs, however you typically can't save anything you do unless you have some other storage, e.g. an external hard drive or network storage. there are some multimedia specific linux distributions, notably demudi and agnula, though they aren't always that up to date, and the linux audio development area moves very, very quickly.

a better solution is to dual boot your PC, i.e. share your hard drive with both windows and linux. that's what i used to do; just means you can use linux when you want, and windows when you want.

getting started can be a bit difficult, especially if you are new to linux. having a good sound card with low latency ability is a benefit, but not required. what soundcard do you have? i seem to remember you were about to buy (or had just bought) a new PC last time we spoke.

if you want a demonstration, feel free to drop by and you can decide for yourself if it will be of use to you.

main applications:

HDR/multi tracker: ardour (like ACiD/cubase/logic)

sequencers: rosegarden, muse (like cubase/reason)

drum machines: hydrogen (like fruityloops i guess and/or reason)

synths: zynaddsubfx, amsynth, qsynth/fluidsynth (like reason's NN-XT sampler/subtraktor synth)

wave editors: rezound, audacity (like soundforge)

there's loads more, but they are the ones that i use everyday.

hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

I had a few problems running linux with the terratec 24/96, but with all the hassle and me upgrading my comp during the year, i think i choose windows running cubase and reason just for conveinance. I have a dual boot system and have been using redhat for years and I love it, but for me you cant beat windows for convenience. Linux suffers from driver issues, the hardware companys make drivers for certain distros and certain products and the operating system its-self is always in constant development. Windows on the other hand is different, it comes out every couple of years all ready to use and backward capable with all the hardware you've been using. I would'nt think for a moment upgrading the soundcard or video would be easy as pie, because sometime's you can end up with a mess, with the saying "Its easier to re-install than to re-configure" going through you mind. Using linux friendly componants is you best way for success. Do you know how much hassle i had to go through to get linux to reconise my Zoom adsl modem and use PPPoA

mike

yeah i know what you are saying, for the last five years i've always bought hardware with linux in mind. i think you over estimate the hardware problem though, most decent soundcards have pretty good drivers with latency timings matching asio drivers.

if you are doing audio work on linux, then you should be using ALSA sound stuff, not OSS, which is probably where half of your woes lie if you are still using redhat (as supposed to fedora core releases). check out planet ccrma for redhat/FC tailored RPM releases. makes things a lot easier.

i am using gentoo linux, on both my desktop and my laptop.

desktop is an athlon 1800xp with 512mb ram, 2x120gb disks, m-audio delta 66 sound card with breakout box, nvidia geforce2 mx400 graphics.

laptop is a dell latitude c600 with a 1ghz pentium III and 512mb ram.

my laptop tends to trail behind the desktop in terms of software, as i want it to be as stable as possible for live stuff.