aberdeen-music

Glassjaw Are No More

Stephen

Not if they're musical style remains the same it won't

Shite! Of course they'd get accused. Ultimately if any underground act makes it quite big, there is going to be a backlash.

Do you not find it boring if a bands musical style remains the same? I like to see bands evolving and expanding their style. Who wants to hear the same album over and over? It's good to hear bands challenging themselves.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit' date=' what was that i was saying about elitist people?

Surely people can make up their own minds what they like?

How do you know what's common in the Aberdeen scene? Seems to me you are lumping everyone together under one banner.

I'm sure nearly everyone on this website also checks out bands for themselves on the internet. I know i certainly do.[/quote']

Just going by poor gig turnouts for lesser know bands that excell when coming to play in aberdeen, i think that speaks volumes

Shite! Of course they'd get accused. Ultimately if any underground act makes it quite big' date=' there is going to be a backlash.

Do you not find it boring if a bands musical style remains the same? I like to see bands evolving and expanding their style. Who wants to hear the same album over and over? It's good to hear bands challenging themselves.[/quote']

Offcourse it is, but aslong as the band actually do evolve and not produce untalented crap with no progression, that's what i hate

Just going by poor gig turnouts for lesser know bands that excell when coming to play in aberdeen' date=' i think that speaks volumes[/quote']

There are always poor turnouts for gigs. Not just punk bands. Maybe others simply don't rate the bands?

Also, the majority of gigs in this city are promoted by putting a post on this website and putting up 3 posters round the city.

Guest allsystemsfail
How about that these styles of music actually appeal to people? And if something becomes popular it's 'trendy'. So was it trendy to like punk back in the late 70's early 80's? Hell yeah' date=' of course it was. So did punk sell out? Or just those that became popular?

Maybe underground punk is out of date or boring for young people. I don't know. Sadly things change, people change, music trends change. Surely those in the underground punk scene will be happy their music is relatively unspoiled and unheard?[/quote']

Selling out involves compromise. In the case of the punk community this usually involves jumping to a major. Popularity has nothing to do with it. I ain't got a problem with acts who become huge.

And why should I be happy if my music is not heard? Unspolied yes.

Offcourse it is' date=' but aslong as the band actually do evolve and not produce untalented crap with no progression, that's what i hate[/quote']

So a popular band cannot produce good music?

Only undergorund bands?

I can appreciate good underground music of any genre as much as the next person. It's not wrong to like popular music too though.

Guest allsystemsfail
But if they became the next big thing surely they'd get accused of selling out. And then you'd all hate them.

As I said, I ain't got a problem with popularity. My point was about manufactured trends.

Selling out involves compromise. In the case of the punk community this usually involves jumping to a major. Popularity has nothing to do with it. I ain't got a problem with acts who become huge.

And why should I be happy if my music is not heard? Unspolied yes.

What about bands like Rancid then? They are quite popular on the grand scale of things, are on a major now and haven't really compromised their sound over the years.

What's so wrong with being on a major? So you'd like your music heard.... yet have little chance to promote it or get people to listen without any support. So you sign to a major, don't compromise your sound, get some promotion, people like you.... but you've sold out.

Double edged sword.

But I suppose at the end of the day talent will shine through. Maybe the current crop of underground punk bands simply don't have it? You tell me.

There are always poor turnouts for gigs. Not just punk bands. Maybe others simply don't rate the bands?

Also' date=' the majority of gigs in this city are promoted by putting a post on this website and putting up 3 posters round the city.[/quote']

Yeah fair point, but i do think if people heard alot of these bands before seeing them, aberdeen turnouts would be better for it

Guest allsystemsfail
What about bands like Rancid then? They are quite popular on the grand scale of things' date=' are on a major now and haven't really compromised their sound over the years.

What's so wrong with being on a major? So you'd like your music heard.... yet have little chance to promote it or get people to listen without any support. So you sign to a major, don't compromise your sound, get some promotion, people like you.... but you've sold out.

Double edged sword.

But I suppose at the end of the day talent will shine through. Maybe the current crop of underground punk bands simply don't have it? You tell me.[/quote']

I said nothing of sound, but was talking about ethics. Jumping to a major involves a betrayal - a betrayal of the beliefs on which the punk community was founded.

And talent has nothing to do with it. Many anarcho-punk acts have been approached by majors. The bands have declined their offers. For instance Conflict (just a couple of years ago) were approached by five majors. The band chose to remain independant.

Well, surely no underground punk band should be bitching about shite turnouts and their music being largely ignored and unnoticed. As long as their eithics are sound they can be happy.

At the end of the day, no-one really gives a toss about punk anymore. Or what it stood for. Sad but true.

But then again, i'm sure guys like yourself are out there to try and dispel that theory and keep the flag flying, which is a good thing at the end of the day I suppose.

why are people thinkin hell is for heros are hardcore?? that makes me laugh.

anyway we're gping down the same old road here again guys. This whole selling out thing is a joke really, come one if someone offered you the chance to make ten times as much as you are already in exchange for you signing to a major there are very few people out there who would say "nah your ok im underground". When it all comes down to it being in a professional band is like having a full time job is it not? You play to live, you sell records to eat ect...so if your offered a promotion do you say no i dont want more money or more people to know who i am? Surely not you do what ever is possible so that in 5 years when your bands maybe isnt so popular or is splitting up you have enough cash to make sure you can live the rest of your life comfertalbly. Am i worng??

anyway we're gping down the same old road here again guys. This whole selling out thing is a joke really' date=' come one if someone offered you the chance to make ten times as much as you are already in exchange for you signing to a major there are very few people out there who would say "nah your ok im underground". When it all comes down to it being in a professional band is like having a full time job is it not? You play to live, you sell records to eat ect...so if your offered a promotion do you say no i dont want more money or more people to know who i am? Surely not you do what ever is possible so that in 5 years when your bands maybe isnt so popular or is splitting up you have enough cash to make sure you can live the rest of your life comfertalbly. Am i worng??[/quote']

Money aint the world you know, even the richest fuckers can be unhappy.

It's all down to how contempt you are with life

Guest allsystemsfail

anyway we're gping down the same old road here again guys. This whole selling out thing is a joke really' date=' come one if someone offered you the chance to make ten times as much as you are already in exchange for you signing to a major there are very few people out there who would say "nah your ok im underground". When it all comes down to it being in a professional band is like having a full time job is it not? You play to live, you sell records to eat ect...so if your offered a promotion do you say no i dont want more money or more people to know who i am? Surely not you do what ever is possible so that in 5 years when your bands maybe isnt so popular or is splitting up you have enough cash to make sure you can live the rest of your life comfertalbly. Am i worng??[/quote']

I have already shown that many punk outfits want no truck with the majors, and when approached by them, have declined their offers. Some folks believe making the jump to a major a compromise too far. It ain't just about making money. There are principles involved.

I have already shown that many punk outfits want no truck with the majors' date=' and when approached by them, have declined their offers. Some folks believe making the jump to a major a compromise too far. It ain't just about making money. There are principles involved.[/quote']

ok but that doesnt mean that every band that does sign to a major is a sell out does it??

And yeah ecplain where this hell is for hero's is hardcore nonses is coming from, please.

Guest allsystemsfail
ok but that doesnt mean that every band that does sign to a major is a sell out does it??

And yeah ecplain where this hell is for hero's is hardcore nonses is coming from' date=' please.[/quote']

I did not say that every band had sold out by jumping to a major. I was talking specifically of punk outfits.

Regarding Hell Is For Heroes - well, it is true that some do indeed think them a hardcore outfit.

Contrary to reports, Glassjaw is NOT and has NOT split up, nor do they have any immediate plans to do so. Stand in bassist, Manuel Carrero, has said the band are simply on hiatus while Daryl Palumbo regains full fitness after a recent relapse in his battle against Crohn's Disease. He said: "Daryl is not doing so well. It's something that has always been a factor in this band. If he's sick, we don't play. The kid's health is more important then anything. We've never given him shit for being sick, because we can't. That would be extremely insensitive. It's no one's fault. They had to cut short a Head Automatica tour because of his health, and he hasn't fully recovered yet." There is no word yet if the Head Automatica UK dates in January will be affected.

Guest Cowboy Dan

Is Daryl Palumbo really that stupid? Why the fuck does he keep going on tours when he knows he's not going to make it to the end of them and just dissapoint people.

His ego must be massive.