aberdeen-music

punk in Aberdeen 1994-97

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail

Punk in Aberdeen during the period 1994-97 was pretty exciting. With local punk outfits such as Bloodshot and Aktifist at the scene's centre - arranging shows and stuff, a whole host of cool bands made it through here. Cellar 35 (on Rosemount Viaduct) was a then regular show space. Here are just a few of those (at least those I can recall) who played back then: Los Crudos, Divide and Conquer, Headache, Citizen Fish, Bender, Ebola, Active Minds, Health Hazard, Police Bastard, and Dropdead. Any other folks here remember these shows? I know Jake probably caught most of these. There was a real scene going on back then with folks talkin bout producing zines too. Jake produced one.

Guest allsystemsfail
bought the discography a while in the 2nd section in one up and helped guide me on my way to the ways of punk

That's cool. Yeah, LC were one of the most respected punk/hardcore outfits out there. Still much admired.

if its the one im thinking of' date=' then everytime i walk past it i think "whoa thatd make a great lil punk venue" cos as the dangerfields, w.o.r.m, shuriken, the dregs and the no pints proved in goole in july...you can't beat a cellar show :D[/quote']

If that's you outside my flat then quiet down.

Guest allsystemsfail
Cellar 35 is open more regularly once again I believe (just down from my flat) but not putting on anything of GREAT excitement at the moment as far as I'm aware. Maybe just an acoustic night on Thursdays?

The Cellar is really really small. Was a kinda strange venue for punk shows. Think they then put on jazz nights. I forget now how folks lost the venue, and so had to look for elsewhere.

Guest allsystemsfail
Went to most of those C35 shows. Cress were always amazing

Cress played a show there? I should say that I was then living in London, so caught just two shows at C35 - Active Minds with Bloodshot and Aktifist, and Los Crudos with Ebola and Bloodshot. Much of what I know of this period was via folks such as Mark Nelson (Bloodshot). Though I was living elsewhere, I still took a keen interest in what was going on here.

I just remembered. An Aberdeen scene report (I think written by Mark) appeared in US anarcho-punk mag Profane Existence 1995.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Oh, the memories of a tiny wee cellar and the Bloodshot/Fudrot feud! A hell of a lot of jitters went to those gigs and spoiled more than one show. I remember some wasted woman climbing on Bobs' (Active Minds) back while he was trying to play and he quite rightly just stopped playing. I always thought there was a bit of an atmosphere at a lot of these shows. Great music, but a lot of needle. Thank fuck the jitters don't go anymore. Bastards.

Guest allsystemsfail
Oh' date=' the memories of a tiny wee cellar and the Bloodshot/Fudrot feud! A hell of a lot of jitters went to those gigs and spoiled more than one show. I remember some wasted woman climbing on Bobs' (Active Minds) back while he was trying to play and he quite rightly just stopped playing. I always thought there was a bit of an atmosphere at a lot of these shows. Great music, but a lot of needle. Thank fuck the jitters don't go anymore. Bastards.[/quote']

Yeah, that show was completely ruined by those people.

:swearing:

What other shows did you catch there? And what was your zine called? Was trying to remember.