aberdeen-music

Is this legal?

Hog

Guest RockMonkey

If you are going to release the track...you must contact MCPS who will be able to help you track the publishers. Even if you have altered the sample, it is a legal requirement. However, for just playing around or the odd gig, you can get away with it. No one will chase you up for that. The publisher or writer must give permission. It's hardly ever a problem. You can buy sample cd's which have a wad of different sounds you can use without obtaining permission so long as you credit them on the cd.

jo

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you also need permission from the record company that hold's the mechanical copyright on the recording' date=' unless you re-record it.[/quote']

No, I think it's just the publishers. I don't know why I'm sure enough to post that reply but for some reason I am...

A related story: that song by Edwin Colins that annoys the shit out of anyone that's ever heard it apparently has some half second drum sample at the beginning which was never cleared before it was released cos noone thought the song would do that well. It was only after the song topped the charts in most countries across the world, appeared on millions of adverts etc etc that the original owners of the sample were asked permission to use it. 'You made HOW much in royalties, Mr Colins? Ah, that much? Well, we'll have all that, oh, and a bit more cos you're rude.' Poor old Edwin lost money on that international super hit...

No, I think it's just the publishers. I don't know why I'm sure enough to post that reply but for some reason I am...

I have to back Ian on this one, if it's a sample taken from a record, then you certainly would need permission from the owner of the sound recording - i.e. the record label. If however, you are 'recreating' a sample by playing it yourself, then permission would only be required from the publisher/writers.

Guest RockMonkey
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you also need permission from the record company that hold's the mechanical copyright on the recording' date=' unless you re-record it.[/quote']

Yes Ian, you can do that more easily by contacting MCPS there is a link on www.prs.co.uk, they are the Mechanical Rights people and they will be able to locate the owner of the original recording.

Duncan McCrone is the man to talk to.

jo

Yes Ian' date=' you can do that more easily by contacting MCPS there is a link on [url']www.prs.co.uk, they are the Mechanical Rights people and they will be able to locate the owner of the original recording.

Duncan McCrone is the man to talk to.

jo

You said to contact them for the publisher as well.

Not that I'm bothered, you sour-faced old bag (your words, not mine).

Guest RockMonkey

MCPS/PRS are the best folk to contact about anything to do with releasing music...

You're not supposed to agree! I'm spending mucho hours removing evidence of sour faced old bag for party tomorrow!

MCPS/PRS are the best folk to contact about anything to do with releasing music...

You're not supposed to agree! I'm spending mucho hours removing evidence of sour faced old bag for party tomorrow!

Starting a bit late aren't you?

Be careful though, one tequila too many and your hours of preparation will be undone.