aberdeen-music

would you turn your back on someone if....

faery_princess

thanks for that,

im doing an article on friendships and how they can be forged/broken depending on circumstance, or one person's opinion of right and wrong.

its taking longer than i'd hoped it would, but i am collecting opinions from many different sources, using lots of forums, and the difference is quite staggering.

anyway, once again, thanks for your input

:up:

Guest haigyman

yeah, if the stupid thing they'd done was something like...get a crap haircut, i'd probably stand by them (unless it looked total gay and brought my image down just by being seen with them). Although, if it was something like rape...then i'd PROBABLY ditch them.

Depends how 'stupid/unwise/not a good idea' their actions consitute. Friendship shouldn't be about sticking up for someone whose idiotic actions have endangered others.

Ie If I found out my friend had attacked someone without justification' date=' then I'd rat them out like a little mafia squealer.[/quote']

Or if the actions endangered the person doing them continually, there's only so long you can stand by people. I'm a great believer that you can't control people's lives but theres only so may times you can watch them fucking up when you've been there and tried to help them. As with everything friendship is conditional, someone who is self destructive is just as likely to drag you down with them if they can't deal with their own lives. There are also times when its better to walk away for the persons own good to realise that certain actions do have consequences.

Being a close friend involves a certain amount of responsibility, theres only so many times that you can fuck up oin that setup too. I wouldn't want anyone as a close friend to me who lied to me or who interfered and tried to manipulate situations, in that case then yes I would say goodbye, Life is stressfull enough without those you trust stabbing you in the back.

Harsh maybe, but there are many people who would probably say i'm a good friend and i expect from them the same i expect to give them

Cheers

Stuart

There's only so much standing-by you can do with friends. If they constantly treat you like shit then there comes a point where you either have to walk away or tell them they have to change or they'll lose a friend. You cant tell people what to do, but you can give them adive and tell them, if they're doing something wrong, that what they're doing is wrong. But in the end the decision is theirs, and if, in your opinion, they make the wrong decision, then there's a problem.

It really would depend on what they did or said... I always try and back my friends to the halt, but sometimes there's only so far you can go.

Mind you, my close friends trust me to know that If I don't like something, then I won't have any hesitation in telling them... And they seem to be comfortable with that.