aberdeen-music

Emma Forman's Gig Last Night

Guest RockMonkey

Guest RockMonkey

WOW!

Emma was fabulous at the Loft last night, great set, storming vocals, strutting her stuff round the stage.

Shame the Beck's drinking proles at the back were too busy working out which blond they were going to have a crack at to keep quiet, but everyone else had a brilliant time!

King Louie weren't too shabby either, although couldn't hear half the vox.

Well done

xxx

WOW!

Emma was fabulous at the Loft last night' date=' great set, storming vocals, strutting her stuff round the stage.

Shame the Beck's drinking proles at the back were too busy working out which blond they were going to have a crack at to keep quiet, but everyone else had a brilliant time!

King Louie weren't too shabby either, although couldn't hear half the vox.

Well done

xxx[/quote']

Agreed, King Louie had great stage presence, tho not sure what the jacket the lead singer was wearing was tho ;) a very good band for the type of show they were looking for i thought. The whole gig was, for me, slightly ruined by Stranded's rentacrowd who seems to want to make as much as noise between everyone else's sets. Real shame they couldn't have given the other artists the courtesy, fair enough to support your band but that seemed way too over the top for a band no-one seemed to have heard off. Definitely the weakest band of the night with the loudest fans. Loudest fans sadly don't make a great band.

Stranded won, but i genuinelly think with the way their fans were going it ws possibly the only way anyone could have got out alive ;)

A good night in a surprisingly good venue.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest RockMonkey

The King Louie's singer's jacket may have something to do with him looking like Sean Bean and therefore perhaps he wanted to dress up as Sharpe?

The jacket didn't bother me at all. I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

I reckon the dj was weeing his pants in fear at some of those "fans". Would be interesting to see if any of them would actually go to a real gig for their favourite band or whether they just came long to practise their excessive profanity in public.

The King Louie's singer's jacket may have something to do with him looking like Sean Bean and therefore perhaps he wanted to dress up as Sharpe?

The jacket didn't bother me at all. I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

I reckon the dj was weeing his pants in fear at some of those "fans". Would be interesting to see if any of them would actually go to a real gig for their favourite band or whether they just came long to practise their excessive profanity in public.

It wasn't a criticism I liked the jacket and yes i'd also consider going to see them live as i thought they had good presence, the other band i would be happy to never see again, i'd certainly be too terrified of going to a gig with fans as hostile as that ;) Maybe i'm just getting old, but it was generic music and bland, nothing inspiring, and i'm pretty sure the lead singers head was loose as it seemed to waggle a huge amount ;)

I thought that King Louie were the most suitable band for the competition to progress, but Emma was the better on the night, but I genuinely couldn't find a redeeming feature about 'Stranded'.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
Shame the Beck's drinking proles at the back were too busy working out which blond they were going to have a crack at to keep quiet' date=' but everyone else had a brilliant time!

[/quote']

They didn't have a crack at you then? ;)

Guest RockMonkey

No, I'm happy to say my witty repartee tends to ward these kind of buffoons off. They don't understand it, get confused and go and start a fight with their best friend...

Stranded are another decent band completely handicapped by a very localised support. At least their support are acutally calling them Stranded now as opposed to their old name Downside... no irony intended.

We'd love to give Stranded another gig but the last time they played we spent the entire uncomfortable night policing their following. They really need to address that or their going to run out of venues.

Glad to hear that Emma and Jo went down well.

Just out of interest - did my suggestions re guitar cap and stage monitors help at all?

Guest RockMonkey

I wasn't playing Flash!

I didn't think much of Stranded as a band, but I have heard a lot worse out there. Their "fans" were ridiculous. I wouldn't go to see them at another gig if that's how their following behaves.

But then i'm a sour-faced old bag, so it's unlikely to be too much of a loss to them...

Stranded are another decent band completely handicapped by a very localised support. At least their support are acutally calling them Stranded now as opposed to their old name Downside... no irony intended.

We'd love to give Stranded another gig but the last time they played we spent the entire uncomfortable night policing their following. They really need to address that or their going to run out of venues.

Glad to hear that Emma and Jo went down well.

Just out of interest - did my suggestions re guitar cap and stage monitors help at all?

I think the problem is they want their support to be like that - i may be wrong but it seemed to me thats the way they like it, they certainly helped rile up the crowd, so its a catch 22. I think they seem to think a crowd like that is a good thing. I might have been more inclined to give them a chance if the support hadn't been like that, and so unfair to the other bands. I can see what you're saying about the fans, i wouldn't book them if i was a venue even if they were great because of the fans.

Cheers

Stuart

Was this the Northsound competition thing? If so' date=' is an audience vote rather than judged?[/quote']

It is judged, but i think it would be difficult for judges not to be swayed by the crowd being like that and not to mention the other artists performances being put off by the rentacrowd. I also think it was entirely possible that in order to get out alive the judges went for 'Stranded' ;)

They genuinelly struck me as the most bland performers on the night, they weren't tight, the drummer was playing out of time and the only thing going for them as far as i could see was the crowd, the complete opposite of the other performers who did a great show despite the hostile crowd - which to me is a better judge of a band than how many pissed up mates they can bring in,

Cheers

Stuart

I remember about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago a riot broke out in Yates after a Battle of the Bands decision went a certain way. OK I don't mind that it happened to Yates but that's the problem where live voting coincides with localised supports.

I think that Stranded's support could have got quite violent from the way they were acting, so from that poinmt of view it was the best decison, but it would put me off going to the Hogmany show if they got through just because if their fans like that on a normal night what will they be like at hogmany !! I mean Emma was the only artist the judges had nothing negative to say about, tho i could have eaily understood king louie getting through.

Ah yeah and Emma says she has got the guitar piece you recommended and it works well, cheers

Cheers

Stuart

I remember about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago a riot broke out in Yates after a Battle of the Bands decision went a certain way. OK I don't mind that it happened to Yates but that's the problem where live voting coincides with localised supports.

i was a judge at that yates fiasco, i smelt a rat and posted on this messageboard saying that which got me in some serious shit! if there's one regret about my time there its that i didnt stand up for meself and the local scene more, if i'd projected a louder voice then these fiascos may not have occured or indeed still occur. on the other hand even if i had said more, would probably have fallen on deaf ears anyway!!!

Guest RockMonkey

The thing with these comps is that they are very nearly always rigged. The best way to regard them is as a gig, pure and simple and forget about the winning bit. These comps really do not matter in the long run. I've lost way more comps than I have won. I've been in rigged ones and less rigged ones but at the end of the day there is always an element of unfairness in these things.

Who the fuck are Stranded???

Never heard of them and after all this i hope i never do. Fucking idiots they sounds like

To be fair it's the crowd they bring with them more than the band, there are lots of bands who aren't very good out there, but the fans they had were genuinely scary and likewise they're not a band i've heard anything aout but that doesn't mean anything, but it did surprise me a local band who no-one had heard off had such a support making me think it was probably a lot of mates of the band as opposed to actual music fans, which is fair enough but they should resepct the other bands playing. I wouldn't want any of the bands i work with to go anywhere near them again.

Cheers

Stuart

i think the problem when you have a band who have a lot of mates is that their mates tend not to be regular gig goers but merely latch onto the band in the vague and unlikely hope that they might hit the big time so they can say 'ooh i was a fan from the start' it also lulls the band into a false sense of security that they are much better than what they actually are just cos a few over enthusiastic pals go mental for them (usually after a glass or two of sherry). these kind of bands do tend to enter battle of the bands competitions and usually win.

personally i hate battle of the bands in any shape or form, having worked the BOTB's competitions at drummonds for over two years, we tried a variety of different ways but ultimately there was no easy way of doing it, Jo's right, best to look upon them as just another gig, give it your best shot, i have to say about 80% of the bands who played drummonds BOTB's had this attitude. However there was the odd one who would get very upset at losing which just added to me and sound ian's entertainment value for the evening, watching bands who lost crying essentially over spilt milk!

my first crack at band management was with Slipstream a few years ago, and their first few gigs were a battle of the band comp, which they won, partly down to mate power.

The point being, it ended up a stigma that they never shook off although they were a very good band, as I'm sure Delboy will confirm.

G...

my first crack at band management was with Slipstream a few years ago' date=' and their first few gigs were a battle of the band comp, which they won, partly down to mate power.

The point being, it ended up a stigma that they never shook off although they were a very good band, as I'm sure Delboy will confirm.

G...[/quote']

aye confirmed Mr C!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...