aberdeen-music

Deadenstereo

Flash@TMB

Deadenstereo played their penultimate gig at The Moorings last Saturday. It was the first time I'd seen them and I was utterly blown away.

The material is fantastic, they describe themselves as indie, but to me they sound more like Radiohead, crossed with Muse, crossed with new wave punk acts like The Cars in their early days. The tunes are loaded with hooks and emotive vocals. The band are great to watch with everyone putting on a good show. Craig's guitar playing was particularily stand-out without being showy. Oh - and that amp sounded ace :up:

We've got a good recording of their set and are planning to work on a couple of the tunes. We've completed one already and it's the best sounding one yet. I asked a couple of ladies in the bar (both aged about 30) if they'd heard the tune before, and what group it was. They replied that they knew the tune, and one said that she "really loved this track". One of them thought it was Radiohead and the other plumped for Muse.

In the event that Deadenstereo ever reappear, say under a new name or something, then make sure you catch them. We'd love to have them back again.

Craig's guitar playing was particularily stand-out without being showy.

I'll admit it has taken a while to get all the "cock-rock" posturing out of the way and make it to that stage! I think the Souldrive guitarist's 2 minute "scales and tapping" guitar solo fest on their last song was a little to the other end of the spectrum...

The Moorings was a great place to play, and the sound was very good, both on and off stage - something we've found to be pretty rare (no matter where we play). A lot of engineers have trouble with the vocals in our band as Jon doesn't have a particularly loud voice, but the drums and guitars are normally blasting. But then, Jon will start screaming away and the engineer will feel like killing themselves.

On that note - the engineer was a pleasant fellow!

It's a cool bar too, especially the drink prices for band members. Hardly anywhere pays in beer these days, plus we got petrol money too. Baby Tiger in Edinburgh are the only others who run things like that, and are coincidentily our favourite people to play for in the Edinbronx.

We played far better in the Moorings than we did at Mosholu - we were still breaking in the new drummer then.

Flash, give us a shout when you get those recordings done - we'd love to hear them!

Craig