aberdeen-music

Little Britain UK Tour

psydoll

• 3 weeks later...
I had forgotten about them as well' date=' until they appeared on the Peel tribute night Djing. So I then did a review of Second Light by DZ, which was better than I remember...

Dave[/quote']

Funnily enough, I dug out Second Light after you reminded me, too. Flounced around my room tidying to Captain Dread. Missed the Peel Tribute night, due to being an arse.

Funnily enough' date=' I dug out Second Light after you reminded me, too. Flounced around my room tidying to Captain Dread. Missed the Peel Tribute night, due to being an arse.[/quote']

Not my best review but I found it hard to describe... I did a Rhythm & Sound review yesterday. It was much better, honestly!

BTW there is a new Black Dog ep out soon. It sounded quite good when Rob Da Bank played it.

Dave

Dreadzone Second Light (Virgin)

Dreadzone recently participated in the Keep it Peel night on BBC Radio 1. Keep it Peel was a six hour mix of live music and DJ sets to celebrate the life of John Peel and the music he exposed his listeners to. I first heard Dreadzone on Peels show in the mid 1990s. They are Greg Roberts, Tim Bran and Leo Williams with some help from Dan Donovan, Earl 16 and Donna McKevitt amongst others. They produce nu dub which incorporates a broad mix of samples and influences. The non reggae influences include middle eastern music, trance, Celtic, techno and even the Penguin Cafe Orchestra / sea shanties. The album samples Johnny Clarke, Patrick Street, The Upsetters and Ryuichi Sakamoto. Second Light is an interesting album that would sit well with fans of The Orb, The Black Dog, Mega Dog, Sons of Arqa, Transglobal Underground as well as Zion Train. Even the most conservative reggae fan would probably enjoy a few tracks on Second Light as it contains four singles. Not all tracks work perfectly but altogether a nice musical journey.

three stars

info http://www.global-trance.co.uk/fr_index.html?/Dreadzone.html (about half way down)

review by ragudave December 2004