aberdeen-music

Favourite Poets

Larsen B

Is this a challenge?

"In the season of good will lets hope Michael Stipe goes the same way as freddy mecury"

"This one's for Billy Bragg, the biggest nosed twat in the world. I wouldn't want his dick pissing on my toilet for all the money in the fucking world. His voice is so bad, get back in the army you dickwit. AND STOP STEALING WOODY GUTHRIE'S SONGS!"

roald dahl's dirty beasts is ace! (are?)

william carlos williams sometimes...

plath is good, i think the neurotic and introspective nature is still relevant. ted hughes is a bit too into the cold war and we're all going to die, but dark is good.

byron is very clever (doh!) but funny.

shakespeare sometimes

donne's on his mistress going to bed is good, funny, (men are pathetic, yet i'd like to be adored like that) but all his religious stuff is shit. god does not want to ravage you.

adrienne rich although she's a bit too pro woman, pro lesbo, moany moany, and dating fast. frame is a very emotive poem.

and frank o'hara's tribute to billy holiday (the day lady died-?) and definitely lana turner has collapsed- look at it!!!

ok, i've done american and english poets but i'll not continue with irish. except to say look at paul muldoon's ireland, and draw your own conclusions :

"Ireland"

The Volkswagen parked in the gap,

But gently ticking over.

You wonder if it's lovers

And not men hurrying back

Across two fields and a river.

I'd say my favourite poets would be Richey Edwards and Ian Curtis actually.

"Touching From A Distance" by Curtis' widow has all his lyrics in it, as well as a good few ones he'd never gotten round to using for songs and some essays he'd written. There's some really awesome (as in the original meaning of the word) stuff. He had a great way with words.

And lyrics like 4st 7lbs are as good as any conventional poetry out there and then some. Wish Nicky Wire would get round to getting the huge collection of stuff Richey left behind published.

The only conventional poetry I've ever really read is a bit of Plath and a couple of Larkin poems, although I intend to change this. Both are good though.

I should have specified no song lyrics.

Yeah, I realise I may have paved the way for folk to say "Oh well in that case, my favourite poet is *insert random emo singer here* cos his lyrics are just soooo amazing"

I think Ian Curtis could be excused though, cos like I say, there's a good few things he's written which weren't actually lyrics. And in all honesty, his lyrics are more like poems anyway.

Id say Sylvia Plath probably. I dont read a lot of of poetry cos i think prose and short story are far more stimulating...Plath's "Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams" is highly recommended, summin like 3 in fopp. The poetry may be self-indulgent to a certain extent, but you neglect to notice what she wrote was actually how she felt. I dont think you can be so blase when in Ariel for example she compares her father to a concentration camp commandant, simply because he died when she was young. Its ok to sometimes be left thinking "ok, you're so depressed, so what, do something about it" but its not that simple. You cant criticise someones feelings. As for Ted Hughes, he fucked her up bad by cheating on her. I remember reading his childrens stories when I was young, theres some really nice stuff there, and id like to read some more of his adult orientated work.

PS I should really post my Advanced Higher English dissertation on here!

Yeah' date=' I realise I may have paved the way for folk to say "Oh well in that case, my favourite poet is *insert random emo singer here* cos his lyrics are just soooo amazing"

I think Ian Curtis could be excused though, cos like I say, there's a good few things he's written which weren't actually lyrics. And in all honesty, his lyrics are more like poems anyway.[/quote']

In what way are his lyrics more like poems in your opinion???

The Bell Jar(sylvia plath) is an amazing book but i guess it would be easier to relate to for girls than guys. I'd say The catcher in the Rye would be the boys equivalent even though they are books not poems.....

Never really got Sylvia Plath but loved Cathcher in the Rye...don't know what that says about me... ?(

Favourite poet...has to be Philip Larkin

[quote name=

"Touching From A Distance" by Curtis' widow has all his lyrics in it' date=' as well as a good few ones he'd never gotten round to using for songs and some essays he'd written. There's some really awesome (as in the original meaning of the word) stuff. He had a great way with words.

have to agree with you there, Ian Curtis' stuff is pretty good. Has anyone ever read any of Jim Morrisons poems? Granted every song of the doors is basically a poem, but you know what i mean. Practically most of them are about sex and genitals but theyre entertaining.

I like William Blake :up: